• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012
    The Amazing Spiderman James Horner

I can see why it has its detractors, especially with the comparison to something more operatic like The Perfect Storm (which is a far superior score), but to suggest this is incoherent seems a little extreme to me. Perhaps the album could do with a bit of trimming, but on the whole I'm really enjoying this one. I prefer this to Black Gold, and I quite like that score too.

I didn't think I'd be interested in seeing the film, but after hearing the music, I'm very interested to hear in it the movie.
  1. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I find parts of it extremely boring, but I've never found it old-fashioned. In fact had he written it like in the old days with clear and fully developed melodies, into tracks that make complete sense and with a clear sense of direction, I would've loved it to bits. Here I think he just did the job, not caring how it all would blend together in the end.

As everyone knows, I don't like to labour points (OK, perhaps I love to labour points) but I do take issue with that. You're accusing him of being unprofessional and I just don't think that's right at all.

No I accuse him writing something which comes over as a complete mess. But I seem to be in the minority in this when I read the feedback from other forums, so let's just leave it at that. I'm tired of discussing it anyway.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

There are some fantastic things in this. I'm not sure it quite hits the peaks of Super 8, but still impressive. I think it would benefit from a considerably tighter album though.

I think it's great from start to finish. It's an epic score and it got an epic release. And I was never fond of Super 8 minus 2 or 3 cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I find parts of it extremely boring, but I've never found it old-fashioned. In fact had he written it like in the old days with clear and fully developed melodies, into tracks that make complete sense and with a clear sense of direction, I would've loved it to bits. Here I think he just did the job, not caring how it all would blend together in the end.

I'm going to disagree with you on the point of Horner NOT writing a clear and fully developed theme. If there is one thing Horner did right in his Spidey score was give the main character a clearly defined, fully developed theme which is spectacular!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Touch - Basil P

Very enjoyable indeed.
  2. NP: Nothing.

Because some days, there's nothing more boring that listening to things that have all been heard before. slant
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm going to disagree with you on the point of Horner NOT writing a clear and fully developed theme. If there is one thing Horner did right in his Spidey score was give the main character a clearly defined, fully developed theme which is spectacular!

-Erik-

Yeah, point taken. You're right about that. I could've expressed that better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

There are some fantastic things in this. I'm not sure it quite hits the peaks of Super 8, but still impressive. I think it would benefit from a considerably tighter album though.

It's plain awesome, best score of the year, 2nd one after Black Gold wink Shame it accompanies such a shitty movie.

I watched John Carter last night and thought it was quite good! Great effort by Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012 edited
    ERASER (EXPANDED) - ALAN SILVESTRI

Feeling disappointed with Silvestri's latest output in the action department?

Put this baby on as the perfect remedy ! punk

And bro: only 3 excellent tracks ??? rolleyes
  4. DreamTheater wrote

only 3 ex tracks yes smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz

Strong score, strong songs (except the silly one :P), strong voices - great chorus and solo singers.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

only 3 ex tracks yes smile

Which is one less than The Avengers... shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

He also gave Lawnmower Man 2 (which is only one the greatest action scores ever written) 3 stars. dizzy

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

He also gave Lawnmower Man 2 (which is only one the greatest action scores ever written) 3 stars. dizzy

-Erik-

considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... but in my opinion your tastes are wrong! tongue biggrin wink

-Erik-
  7. EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

Can a score possibly get more brassy than the one I'm currently listening to at work?

beer
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT tongue

+1 Vote for Most Meaningful Forum Replies Awards 2012.

And SIG'ed. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

Can a score possibly get more brassy than the one I'm currently listening to at work?

beer

Yes it can, Bernard Herrmann's JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROSEWOOD (John Williams)

Gritty and dirty, yet also beautifully poetic. The original hymns are pure bliss. This score deserves to be mentioned more often.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: ROSEWOOD (John Williams)

Gritty and dirty, yet also beautifully poetic. The original hymns are pure bliss. This score deserves to be mentioned more often.

It is a good score, I hardly ever play it though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

+1 Vote for Most Meaningful Forum Replies Awards 2012.

And SIG'ed. smile

I dffer with that!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

beer

Tried Brassed Off?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... but in my opinion your tastes are wrong! tongue biggrin wink

-Erik-

right wrong, potato, potato
  11. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

beer

Never heard it... would I like it? Is it thematic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rio Lobo - Jerry Goldsmith

I've grown to love most of Goldsmith's western scores over the years. Of all of them, this is perhaps the most straightforward - tuneful main theme, colourful action music - and I do like the new La-La presentation so I can listen to all of it in consistent sound (the previous Prometheus release had some tracks in mono, some stereo) - but it's a pity the only way of doing so is in mono. (The surviving stereo tracks are bunched at the end.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

beer

Never heard it... would I like it? Is it thematic?

Always a tough question? But yes, it is thematic and I absolutely love it, an AWESOME score!

The original film score has never been available but IMO that doesn't matter because Bruce Broughton's rerecording is quite simply sublime, one of the best recordings I've ever heard.

Speaking of which I'd nearly forgotten that THIS SCENE scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, one of Ray Harryhausen's finest moments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    EL CID - MIKLOS ROZSA

beer

Tried Brassed Off?

Yes. A very fine film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Amazing Spider-Man - JH

Continues to delight. So rare in a big action movie these days for the composer to map something out as detailed as this and have so much going on, so carefully put together.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man - JH

Continues to delight. So rare in a big action movie these days for the composer to map something out as detailed as this and have so much going on, so carefully put together.

I've had it for a week now and still haven't played it.

NP : KING OF KINGS - Miklos Rozsa

Sublime.
  12. The Ides of March - Desplat

I can't get "The Candidate" out of my head.