• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LEGEND - JERRY GOLDSMITH

I can't fully enjoy this one for some reason, apart from a couple of moments. Legend has the most gorgeous melodies and those typical Goldsmith touches of magic, but the score's inconsistent behaviour and the use of bizarre synths in such rich fantastical melodies leaves me puzzled why other members call this a masterpiece.

But then I look at my sig and I have my answer. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012
    It's my turn dizzy

NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

My very first listen, anyone wanna take bets on whether I'll like it or not? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmmm? A second play methinks....

NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Give focus on the later third of the score as heard on album...listen to it loud!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think you'll love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    I think you'll love it.

I think you're right! cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...in fact it may well be my favourite score of the year so far.
  2. May I borrow your ears + brain?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    ...in fact it may well be my favourite score of the year so far.

I knew it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited
    I love the first 3 tracks. Then it kinds loses me for a few cues before springing back to life. I must give it more of a chance though. But there certainly are many cool moments throughout the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    I love the first 3 tracks. Then it kinds loses me for a few cues before springing back to life. I must give it more of a chance though. But there certainly are many cool moments throughout the score.

01.maintitle:
    02.becoming spider-man
    10.ben's death
    12.rooftop kiss
    13.the bridge
    16.lizard at the school
    17.saving new york
    18.oscorp tower
    20.promises (end titles)

punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Spider-Man - Danny Elfman

Superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    10.ben's death
    12.rooftop kiss

No. Wait. What are you doing?
    The proper sequence is Ben's death AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How about some older horner:

JAMES HORNER - Patriot Games

Oh my God, awful. Make it stop!

n.p. HOUSE OF CARDS

Much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    How about some older horner:

JAMES HORNER - Patriot Games

Oh my God, awful. Make it stop!

I really like this one actually! "The Hit" is excellent as is the deeply emotional "Electonic Battlefield."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, synth fart galore wink

n.p. JAMES HORNER - House of Cards

beautiful
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't hear synth farts. slant

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    10.ben's death
    12.rooftop kiss

No. Wait. What are you doing?
    The proper sequence is Ben's death AND TIE-FIGHTER ATTACK!

biggrin applause
  3. I had a nice long drive this morning and got to listen to a couple of the best scores from last year:

THE GREATEST MIRACLE - Mark McKenzie

I'm not getting tired of this score. And that finale track, "Ascension / Gloria Patri", still gives me chills every time! This is just an excellent score.

W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

I initially enjoyed this as much as THE GREATEST MIRACLE, but it hasn't held up as well after repeated listens. Don't get me wrong, I still really like this score, and there are outstanding tracks from it that I will return to again and again. I think Korzeniowski is really good at writing music that is both busy and beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal

Insanely good!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Insanely good!

-Erik-

It IS brilliant, probably my 2nd favourite of his after Final Fantasy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb!

-Erik-

Not as good as Horner's. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Insanely good!

-Erik-

Same as ALIEN3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Hugo

My God, this is definitely not for me.

n.p. JAMES HORNER - karate kid reboot

Lovely score for a shitty movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Hugo

I thought the film was entertaining ( I know, I'm weird, sometimes I'm easily pleased and at others I can be so unforgiving ), the only real minus was Will Smith's awfully self aware spoilt little brat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - Thomas Newman

If you don't like Asian/Indian flavoured scores you're unlikely to like this, Me? I love it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb!

-Erik-

Not as good as Horner's. tongue

Riiiiiiiight! moon

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - Thomas Newman

If you don't like Asian/Indian flavoured scores you're unlikely to like this, Me? I love it cool

Absolutely amazing score and last night i watched the movie, very mature and heartwarming, totally recommended!
  4. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Hugo

I thought the film was entertaining ( I know, I'm weird, sometimes I'm easily pleased and at others I can be so unforgiving ), the only real minus was Will Smith's awfully self aware spoilt little brat.

The Karate Kid (2010) is definitely not a shitty movie. It actually has a lot of heart and features some of the most stunning images of China in an american production. I thought they've done a good job of capturing that special Chinese mystic vibe in the film, and part of why I'm so interested in seeing it every now and then. Plus Jackie Chan is always awesome. And Jaden Smith... I loved him in the part.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Yeah, synth fart galore wink

n.p. JAMES HORNER - House of Cards

beautiful

I agree with you on this. A very consistent and charming score. The opening cue should appear on every Horner compilation from now on.