• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Dark Knight Rises.

Must admit when I first heard the 'Bane chant'...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KjxnJQ6GQ

... my head raced back to another legendary figure with a similar but more interesting theme...
    https://vimeo.com/album/1844624/video/15146674
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012
    Sleepers - John Williams

Fantastic. I wish Williams had tackled more of this kind of serious fare in his career. (I know he did quite a lot - but I want more!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Sleepers - John Williams

Fantastic. I wish Williams had tackled more of this kind of serious fare in his career. (I know he did quite a lot - but I want more!)

I just played that! In the series of interesting Williams scores that start with S and that isn't STAR WARS, this is among the best (alongside previously-mentioned SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET). Great score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOUNDSTAGE L.A. (various)

The opening galla of the Walt Disney Concert Hall a few years ago, featuring John Williams performing various classic film themes, alongside his concert piece "Soundings" (which is very interesting in itself). Great concert; should get a release! By the way, can't wait to see the concert hall with my own eyes in a few weeks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

The opening galla of the Walt Disney Concert Hall a few years ago, featuring John Williams performing various classic film themes, alongside his concert piece "Soundings" (which is very interesting in itself). Great concert; should get a release! By the way, can't wait to see the concert hall with my own eyes in a few weeks.

I take it this is something recorded by an audience-member? I've often wondered what "Soundings" is like.
  2. Southall wrote
    Sleepers - John Williams

Yes, the MUNICH, SLEEPERS, NIXON, angle...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I take it this is something recorded by an audience-member? I've often wondered what "Soundings" is like.

No, it's a radio broadcast with perfect sound quality that I got from a connection at NRK (Norway's BBC). "Soundings" is a vibrant piece that explores the unique acoustics of the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Southall wrote
    biggrin

Makes me feel like Bane and his cronies are going to be doing a bit of a jig along the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    In all honesty guys: I must've been on something all these years by not thinking that Raiders was just among the top works by Williams. For that I humbly apologize. But the Concord seems to hold a pretty well rounded presentation that strikes me as perfect. Yes I know 'Desert Chase' is incomplete but when I hear the cue on the Concord CD, it's every bit as awesome as I remember it in the film. I seriously don't need anything else.

The editing of Desert Chase was unnecessary and it's actually quite awful! There is a groove and build up with that piece that is completely destroyed by unnecessary edits. The perfect album is the DCC presentation even if it is missing a few cues. The whole package complete obliterates the Concord release as well.

-Erik-

Totally with Erik here. The complete DCC version of Desert Chase is THE ONLY version to listen to Gilles!
    If you're not into have a "complete" version of Raiders that's fine. I just like to include short pieces like "Marion Falls" and "The Tomb" in my edit. But to not have the complete Desert Chase is unthinkable, unspeakable and unforgivable!*

* I say this tongue in cheek but with an undertone of stern seriousness!
  4. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN - James Horner

All the Horner tricks are here and I'm loving it!

It certainly has some of Horner's tricks, but it does feel like quite a different score from him. I love it!

I think he's mastered the art of sounding familiar and new simultaneously.
  5. NP - ALL THE KING'S MEN - James Horner

Is it just me or are Horner's scores quieter on CD than most?
  6. I've always found that one a bit bombastic, but that's a different issue.
  7. christopher wrote
    NP - ALL THE KING'S MEN - James Horner

Yeah, it's partly why I don't listen to Avatar much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    NP - ALL THE KING'S MEN - James Horner

I have two words for you... Simon Rhodes. You have to turn your system up to 11 to make the inaudible audible. That's what changed my mind concerning Avatar and is helping me appreciate The Amazing Spider-Man a bit more (actually, credit Zimmer's The Dark Knight Rises for that) Rhodes' mixes are mostly very poor!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Thanks. I realized that after listening to both his Spider-Man score and AtKM. Both were so quite compared to the music I listened to before and after them. Maybe that's why his Spider-Man score seemed so-so. I could hardly hear most of it, and my speakers were up almost as loud as I can turn them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... I miss Shawn Murphy's Horner recordings!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote:
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHILDREN OF JUNE - Brian Tyler

I haven't heard this in a long time.

Bored already!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I agree, the fact Children of Dune is ... boring tongue

slant
    I think it's a marvelous and rich score, and one I enjoy returning to very much.

yeah
  9. Atham wrote
    Totally with Erik here. The complete DCC version of Desert Chase is THE ONLY version to listen to Gilles!
    If you're not into have a "complete" version of Raiders that's fine. I just like to include short pieces like "Marion Falls" and "The Tomb" in my edit. But to not have the complete Desert Chase is unthinkable, unspeakable and unforgivable!*

Blame it on one of my many character flaws. Like the one I have for selling duplicate albums: the DCC album is now gone, because I'm not as fanatic to own every single album or recording of a certain score. If this strikes you as even more unthinkable, unspeakable and unforgivable, then I am totally guilty. shame

* I say this tongue in cheek but with an undertone of stern seriousness!

But the guilty can beg for forgiveness, and hopefully one day they'll be able to see the light, whereas before they just trampled around in the dark, being ignorant of what could become their greatest enlightenment.

In other words: if at all possible, send me that edit of yours... cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    God willing, they shall come to he who waits but a short time! wink
  10. Great, looking forward to it. smile In the meantime I wont waste any time:

punk punk INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM punk punk

The long awaited expanded release delivers everything I could've ever wanted. One of Williams busiest and liveliest scores is also one of his most adventurous and consistently fun. Temple of Doom is just a non stop symphonic onslaught of thematic brilliance and creativity. And I rarely have a great time with any modern score than I do with this example.

It may be overkill for those that want it a bit more subtle, but I'm not one for subtle, not when it concerns Indy.

The louder this is played, the better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

The long awaited expanded release delivers everything I could've ever wanted.

Actually, no it didn't.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy score and one of my favourite Williams/Spielberg scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Actually, no it didn't.

-Erik-

You've probably mentioned why "it didn't" before, can you remind me Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy score and one of my favourite Williams/Spielberg scores.

I would say it's joint 2nd with Crusade for me.

Crystal Skull being # 1 of course. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEACH - Angelo Badalamenti

I love this score, quite ecclectic in style, the main theme is absolutely gorgeous and very John Barry influenced which is no bad thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I love this score, quite ecclectic in style, the main theme is absolutely gorgeous and very John Barry influenced which is no bad thing.

And you -- like me -- have been on that beach, which gives it a personal connection as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Actually, no it didn't.

-Erik-

You've probably mentioned why "it didn't" before, can you remind me Erik?

Man... I wish I kept my box set rant somewhere. wink Anyway, while I apprecaite that we got an expanded edition featuring some of the finest music John Williams has ever written, when you produce a box set of this sort it has to be done right. Just look at the love Star Trek: The Motion Picture got from La La Land. Hell, Elfman's Planet of the Apes got more love than Williams Indy scores. crazy

A few of my biggest disappointments include the exclusion of "Fortune and Glory." That awesome cue where Indy has a night time chat with Short Round just before their journey to Pankot. Great rendition of the Slave Children music in there.

Also, the bridge percussion music that builds up and segues into "The Broken Bridge / British Relief."

Another sore spot is the re-use of the album version of the end credits. The film version has this fantastic counterpoint of Indy's theme and Short Round's theme that only Williams is capable of doing. Skip to the 8:55 mark of this video to hear what I'm talking about. I know it's only about 30 seconds or so but what a brilliant 30 seconds of music it is.

I would have also loved the film version of "Map / Out Of Fuel" featuring the first full rendition of Willie's Theme. We get an alternate on the expanded release.

Nitpicky I know but this is Indiana Jones we are talking about here!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

It's amazing how one shitty score can make another sound so good! I would like to thank Hans Zimmer and The Dark Knight Rises for helping me apprecaite James Horner's Spidey score that much more.

It's still a 3.5 out of 5 score for me... but that's a strong rating compared to what is was before listening to Zimmer's awful music from the third Nolan Batman film. I still think Horner's Spider-Man is a bit all over the place stylistically (and those electronic still don't blend well with the orchestral music, which is horribly recorded) but when it's on it's on. And that theme is ridiculously catchy!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

And you -- like me -- have been on that beach, which gives it a personal connection as well.

Me too! And guess what music I played that evening as I sat down with a beer or two at the end of the day...