• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

The Joker material is great. JNH's theme for Harvey Dent is fine and dandy, but actually (as with the end of the movie musically - there is Hans' fault here I think) ruins the movie with being very much a Captain Obvious (we get it, he's a lawyer, he's fighting for order, so he's Americana, but it's just plain redundant!).

This is what I don't understand. Should composers play against the character traits? I'd rather have Captain Obvious over Captain Bland any day.

-Erik-

Why play the character whose completely there on screen? Better to play the character whose presence needs to be felt even when he isn't there. (E.g. the Joker music ominously teasing as we see aerial shots of a motorcade -- we feel his attack is imminent.) It has ever been thus. (Jaws, Rebecca, the Ark of the Covenant, Harry Lime...)

A more troubling issue for DARK KNIGHT was that those moments with Harvey Dent didn't feel consistent with the film's DNA. The film only sounded like that when Dent gave a speech, and it just doesn't slot in with the gentle feel of what they went for. It's a bit like BATMAN BEGINS -- where every scene between Christian Bale and Katie Holmes is scored with this romantic material that just feels too passionate and climactic for the rest of the score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

Williams Herrmannesque score is one of his best, a truly deserving 5/5 score, I adore this deliciously dark score.

Probably one of my 5 favourite Williams scores. I must see the film one day.
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

The Joker material is great. JNH's theme for Harvey Dent is fine and dandy, but actually (as with the end of the movie musically - there is Hans' fault here I think) ruins the movie with being very much a Captain Obvious (we get it, he's a lawyer, he's fighting for order, so he's Americana, but it's just plain redundant!).

This is what I don't understand. Should composers play against the character traits? I'd rather have Captain Obvious over Captain Bland any day.

-Erik-

Why play the character whose completely there on screen? Better to play the character whose presence needs to be felt even when he isn't there. (E.g. the Joker music ominously teasing as we see aerial shots of a amotorcade -- we feel his attack is imminent.) It has ever been thus. (Jaws, Rebecca, the Ark of the Covenant, Harry Lime...)

A more troubling issue for DARK KNIGHT was that those moments with Harvey Dent didn't feel consistent with the film's DNA. The film only sounded like that when Dent gave a speech, and it just doesn't slot in with the gentle feel of what they went for. It's a bit like BATMAN BEGINS -- where every scene between Christian Bale and Katie Holmes is scored with this romantic material that just feels too passionate and climactic for the rest of the score.

The Dark Knight is a heavy case of overspotting (also the final speeches, sadly). Funnily enough, I didn't feel it at all with Inception. Everybody was complaining that the music is so loud that you can't hear the dialogues...

Inception was the first time I understood a movie in English *without* any subtitles. EVERY single line.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. There were a few Watanabe lines I struggled with, but that was accent, not levels...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Super Atragon: Metal Pulse Edition - Masamichi Amano

Another Erik Woods score. Huge orchestral music!

punk

-Erik-

Wow. Amano goes all James Newton Howard Outbreak in "Fortress Bimarna, Spotted" doesn't he?

-Erik-

I was just googling for a shop that sells this one. My search came up with zippo! sad

But I found this post on the message board from soundtrackcollector (not a site I'm familiar with)

If you like big orchestral music, I suggest Giant Robo by Masamichi Amano, great stuff (The Aurora is quite good too, and Super Atragon is also quite impressive, all big orchestra & choral scores, in the same vein as his works for the Battle Royale movies).

I'm so going to check out these scores. shocked

I have Amano's first two Giant Robo scores. Great moments but not quite up there with Super Atragon.
    I love Amano's work, even if he seems the master of temp track love at times.
  5. Southall wrote
    Brainstorm - James Horner

If you don't own this and love it then I'm sorry, you cannot be considered civilised.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to loving the "Back to the Future" theme.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote

If you don't own this and love it then I'm sorry, you cannot be considered civilised.

The 'Lillian's Heart Attack' cue is one of the greatest things in the history of the world!! I remember playing that over and over again years ago in my formative film score collecting days and just marvelling at the genius of it.

Moon 44 - Goldsmith Jnr.
    Fantastic stuff. Has distinct echoes of the old man but brilliant in its own right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

I was thinking the same thing in regards to loving the "Back to the Future" theme.....

Agreed. The theme is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The worst album of a best score ever made.

I think it's fabulously produced, tailored for perfect listening. Then again, you knew I would say that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jurassic Park? Seriously? If there's one composer who does "musical storytelling" it's John Williams and just shoving the end titles in the middle of the album totally spoils all of the flow. I've never understood what the thinking was there.
  6. Two big themes divided by an ambient cue is not what I call fabulous production...

I'll be controversial probably, but, in huge part due to the album sequencing, my least liked Williams score of recent times and one of my least liked Williams scores in general, is Munich.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Two big themes divided by an ambient cue is not what I call fabulous production...

I'll be controversial probably, but, in huge part due to the album sequencing, my least liked Williams score of recent times and one of my least liked Williams scores in general, is Munich.

Funny, that's the only one since WAR OF THE WORLDS I actually consider a great score for the film concerned, and one of his few great scores for a straight drama.
  8. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Not so fast, you! tongue

I remember.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Funny, that's the only one since WAR OF THE WORLDS I actually consider a great score for the film concerned, and one of his few great scores for a straight drama.

Out of interest, what are the others you'd pick? Sleepers and the Oliver Stone trio are all very good, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Not so fast, you! tongue

I remember.

I always said the theme is brilliant! I have had a pretty consistent view of the rest of the score too, as it happens.
  9. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Not so fast, you! tongue

I remember.

I always said the theme is brilliant! I have had a pretty consistent view of the rest of the score too, as it happens.

Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    I use a highly-complex algorithm to work out star ratings which frankly few people are likely to understand.

That's why you gave Horner's Troy 4.5 stars and gave Silvestri's Back To The Future 3 stars...

Hmm. That is a bit odd. Rating for BTTF looks a bit high to me - maybe the algorithm wasn't working.

Um -- one of those two star themes!

Southall:

Back to the Future - Alan Silv

Periodically I listen to this to see if it has grown on me.

So, just the cues that don't feature the theme, right? 'cause you've been pretty consistent on the theme, remember! ;-)
  10. I just saw Spider-Man. Horner's score works amazingly (excuse the pun), especially all the action music. I didn't know he performed the piano solos; they fit surprisingly well for an action film.
  11. He almost always performs piano solos alone. What he doesn't perform is the effect pianos he tends to use in his scores (sometimes up to even 8 pianos for a score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thank God Jordi's posting on facebook wink

He is a shadow of his former self. Five - six years ago the message board would have been flooded by Jordi's posts regarding The Dark Knight Rises. He's getting old.....

Aaaahh, good ol' times...

I recieve more feedback in facebook thant what I recieve here! that's why!

after being heard TDKR for the last 4 days, I must admit two things:

1) I don't like very much how some tracks are edited in the album. Not only the old material into the new material, but also some tracks fade out in a very sudden way.

2)It's really big, really loud, really musucular, really agressive, really agry, really opressive, really apocaliptic....I

I love the new action motif , I love catwoman's theme (not heard enought, thought), I love "On thin ice" (not heard enough neither) and I had in repeat "imagine the fire" for around 1 days wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Amazing Spidr-man theme is also stucked in my head. The rest of the score is enjoyable but dated and very sugarish (Horner, after all).
  12. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Out of interest, what are the others you'd pick? Sleepers and the Oliver Stone trio are all very good, I think.

Yeah, those would be the ones I'd pick. The Spielberg dramas tend to be a bit overdone (Empire of the sun, Amistad, SPR) in the music department (Schindler & Munich huge exceptions). Never saw Rosewood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Demetris wrote

He is a shadow of his former self. Five - six years ago the message board would have been flooded by Jordi's posts regarding The Dark Knight Rises. He's getting old.....

1) I don't like very much how some tracks are edited in the album. Not only the old material into the new material, but also some tracks fade out in a very sudden way.

2)It's really big, really loud, really musucular, really agressive, really agry, really opressive, really apocaliptic....I

I love the new action motif , I love catwoman's theme (not heard enought, thought), I love "On thin ice" (not heard enough neither) and I had in repeat "imagine the fire" for around 1 days wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Amazing Spidr-man theme is also stucked in my head. The rest of the score is enjoyable but dated and very sugarish (Horner, after all).

Awww, I have to tell you that I missed your passionate-cum-nigh-crazy statements. You should stay here, because I'm not gonna join facebook anytime soon.

I also have to state that, after hearing all of the bonus tracks, the score is now the most action oriented version of the trilogy. It is indeed an aggressive score with a grumbling menacing tone arching over all of the cues.
  13. Nautilus wrote

Dated? I'd say it's his most contemporary score yet. It is post-Avatar, after all.
  14. NP: The Grey (Marc Streitenfeld)

Interesting to see a mainstream movie so nicely embrace things from Terrence Malick films. Not everything works, but it's a moving film, and Streitenfeld's music is a part of that, generally embracing the drama over the tension.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, my friend, you know this is bollocks smile :p you will come Around eventually, realizing it is actually a five star modern score and for today's standards. It is amazing and you do not need to compare it with inferior scores in order to realize its value smile glad you Are enjoying it !

So today's standards are inferior to the standards of before and you're okay with that? Giving Spider-man 5 stars is an insult to real 5 star scores.

Bullshit. Music is different, times are different. So is art and music. No comparison.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Grey (Marc Streitenfeld)

Interesting to see a mainstream movie so nicely embrace things from Terrence Malick films. Not everything works, but it's a moving film, and Streitenfeld's music is a part of that, generally embracing the drama over the tension.

Absolutely gorgeous, both film and score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Demetris wrote

Which cue is the catwoman's theme, on dark knight rises album, Jordi?

Anyone found the bonus cues yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I just saw Spider-Man. Horner's score works amazingly (excuse the pun), especially all the action music. I didn't know he performed the piano solos; they fit surprisingly well for an action film.

Noooooooooooo but it was written in 2012 and not theeeeeeeeee 90'ssssssss it is nicht guttttt!
  15. SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - WILLIAMS

I always begin the album at track 2, so the reprise of the ending suite is even more gorgeous. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - WILLIAMS

I always begin the album at track 2, so the reprise of the ending suite is even more gorgeous. love

An interesting take smile Personally I couldn't do that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt