• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lp wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

I listen to this score at least once a day. Love it.

I heard the complete chronological score once today, with sound effects and some dialogue thrown in. I'm fairly sure it will be the only time too I'll experience it that way. (That 'fishy-pasta' thing keeps ringing in my head though.)

NP: Nothing. Except the memory of 'fishy-pasta'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote

I heard the complete chronological score once today, with sound effects and some dialogue thrown in. I'm fairly sure it will be the only time too I'll experience it that way. (That 'fishy-pasta' thing keeps ringing in my head though.)

NP: Nothing. Except the memory of 'fishy-pasta'.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film, I'm sure the score will work fine in the film but as stand alone "music" I really didn't like it at all...Fishy-pasta...fishy butter....whaddever rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012 edited
    NP: Thelma & Louise - Thunderbird (Live version on Wings of A Film) - Hans Zimmer

cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Pity people miss out on the more restrained and intelligent parts of the score, like all things Catwoman, but of course Hans Zimmer can't write intelligent music, can he?

Look what he does with two simple ostinati in Nothing Out There. In a way it's a very traditional piece of scoring (combining the Wayne/Batman four note ostinato - the string one - with a Catwoman string submotif harkening at Hannibal amongst other things).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Pity people miss out on the more restrained and intelligent parts of the score, like all things Catwoman, but of course Hans Zimmer can't write intelligent music, can he?

Now don't be snarky. smile Hans Zimmer writes intelligent music all the time. It could be there's a bit of scoring craft in there somewhere, crushed in the mix. It is a crushing mix, this mix. (Although most of that crushing comes from the music, actually.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. The thing is that I am not talking about Dark Knight Rises in particular, but that little bit called Nothing Out There is some of his most intelligent writing work for years, Inception including.

Looking at things like the reviews of Zimmer at filmtracks, some posts on my forum (though Dark Knight was shockingly liked in Poland, usually the outlook is much worse on my board than it is here and with my own experience with Zimmer's working process merely from my talks to him and my attendance on the recording session (and meeting him a few days earlier in his studio while he was writing Sherlock 2) is something that some people don't have respect at all.

On my own forum I had a lot of fights, where I was very, very snarky and defensive, because people tend to mix up music and the person. The biggest perpetrator in this though is Christian Clemmensen, that little guy, who tends to make personal assessments based on the music. Yes, Hans became a celebrity, yes, I think he likes the popularity, because the popularity is the kind of thing that allows him to stay in his comfort zone (not in a musical sense, but in a life sense, that is he can still stay in his little studio and work with no paparazzi involvement). He gets his money. It's not a problem-less environment, because I do wonder how critical are people around him about his work and things like that (based on what's in Christopher Nolan's liners and the fact that they got him back for Sherlock 2, I'd say that not so critical).

I am in this situation where I am not objective about the person (I can be very critical of the music though, although Dark Knight Rises I honestly like quite a bit), because there was a lot of good things in my life, some of the best things that happened in my life, thanks to Hans Zimmer. I had the composer read a little article I wrote on his music which was to his liking. I got tours of the biggest orchestral recording studios thanks to him. I got a book about music recording techniques (from the 1960s, but still) thanks to him, I attended a Hollywood recording session thanks to him, I have my all-time favourite score autographed at my sight with a personal note. The book also came with a personal note to me in his writing. He always has something nice and inspiring to tell me which comes close to or at the very moments when I need motivation.

This little anecdote will tell you guys a lot about how he is in real life. I didn't mention it in my article, because it wasn't relevant. On the session we were out and I forgot where my lighter was (I am a smoker and so is he) and was standing there with a cigarette (outside the studio, that is). Hans was talking to someone and turned to me, he noticed me without the lighter, lit my cigarette and said sorry. So I have an idea of him as a human being and then I read the bullshit Clemmensen writes and some other members on numerous forums (I know a guy who repeatedly voices that he wishes Hans died) and it's completely separate from what I know from personal contacts, because he is one of the most genuinely nice people I ever met in my life.

I am sorry about this rant, but the whole ordeal, which is not a part of this particular forum, annoys me to bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    And the extensive booklet is rich with informative tidbits (almost worth placing in hotel drawers*).

Am i the only one who read "tits"?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

Didn't get it at first, but loved it eventually. Can't wait for the movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hans studio is small? omg
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The thing is that I am not talking about Dark Knight Rises in particular, but that little bit called Nothing Out There is some of his most intelligent writing work for years, Inception including.

What exactly makes it sooooo intelligent? It sounds rather ordinary to me.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Pity people miss out on the more restrained and intelligent parts of the score, like all things Catwoman, but of course Hans Zimmer can't write intelligent music, can he?

I hate to compare the two but... ah forget it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Long thing of juicy information

I don't and have never really understood the intense dislike and criticism of Hans from some people. He puts more effort into his work (well, most of it lol) than practically anyone else working today.

Even for an awful, money-grabbing pointless film like Pirates 4, he takes the time to study under one of the world's best choir writers and produces some of his best choral work to date as well as several thrilling themes (the one with choir for the Spaniards, only appearing once on the album, being my favorite). He could have just rehashed the old Pirates music and taken the check. He didn't.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Potc4 WAS old potc-material mock-ups, but nevertheless, some fresh stuff with the mexican duo were interesting. His third potc score was the massive, great one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I don't and have never really understood the intense dislike and criticism of Hans from some people. He puts more effort into his work (well, most of it lol) than practically anyone else working today.

Is that a fact?

Scribe wrote
    Even for an awful, money-grabbing pointless film like Pirates 4, he takes the time to study under one of the world's best choir writers and produces some of his best choral work to date as well as several thrilling themes (the one with choir for the Spaniards, only appearing once on the album, being my favorite). He could have just rehashed the old Pirates music and taken the check. He didn't.

IMO, the Pirates 4 score was horrendous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    His third potc score was the massive, great one!

Indeed! Great score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, the 4th felt very rushed and messy, almost draft at points. 3rd was an amazing modern film score.
  5. Hans starts out very early on, with creating suites of material trying to find out whether it fits or not. He is very hard-working and it actually takes him a few months to properly write a score.

Yes, he's always given that benefit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why anyone would wish Hans Zimmer dead is beyond me, it says more about they're own problems.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Batman - Danny Elfman

Ah, true Batman music! A timeless classic!

-Erik-
  6. Granted, that guy is a very, very frustrated gay man who lashes out about anything to anyone, especially to people who say anything even slightly positive about Republican Party in the USA.

But still, the way Hans polarizes opinions is just weird. I don't seem to see people around (except this very forum) who find him an average composer who's done some better and worse work. He's either the best thing to ever happen in music (not just film music! Music in general! Let's screw classical music, classic rock music, ANYTHING, Hans Zimmer is THE BESTEST THING EVER!!!one1111oneone) or the worst thing ever to happen to this particular genre.

The way he intellectualized his working process and I am not talking about the interview stuff (has anyone talked to Hans about a particular score a year *after* the score was done? Hans has forgotten almost everything about The Thin Red Line music since, I tried asking him about details and he didn't remember, I talked to Hans quite a bit about Inception and he backed off 90% of things he said in interviews), but about things like The Thin Red Line, Hannibal (a funny thing is that people are thinking his best work was either up to somewhere near 1996 or his *most recent* output, I think his best period was 1998-2003 with very notable exceptions in 2004, 2006 and, really, Inception, after I really listened into what he's done there musically), Black Hawk Down.

He has his share of crap, but who doesn't? I think that last year was his positively worst year in his whole career, he was partly responsible for one of the worst game scores I've ever heard (his theme is not even decent, but to be completely honest, Brian Tyler made something worse, which shocked me, for the third part of the series, sorry Demetris, if Tyler ever did the impossible, that was it - better score, but two quite bad themes), suddenly he came out with Inception which was something different from him, even if Clemmensen didn't notice it.

But either the best or the worst thing ever? My favourite recent output happens to be probably from Desplat. On my Polish forum I am regarded as a person who kind of listens to Zimmer, which as you know, is not true.

But I do like the Batman music (the first score was I think perfect in the film, the second has issues, which I partly blame on JNH with his Dent music being plain redundant and Hans - and possibly Nolan - botching the end of the movie with overly serious material, with all due respect, I think the final speeches are even not really well-written), I love Inception, I love Da Vinci Code (great work musically, a bad film score). What keeps me loyal to Hans as a listener and as a fan is really things like Crimson Tide, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Hannibal, which I love to bits.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All this talk about superheroes and their scores has influenced me to play...

NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

The BEST superhero score EVER! This FACT is not arguable, nogotiable or any other 'ble'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
  7. NP: Small Soldiers: The Video Game (Michael Giacchino)

Though I can not give this 5 stars like my brother gives this, I must say that it's refreshing to hear something completely different. Giacchino could have easily delivered an ode to Goldsmith's work, or a continuation of his The Lost World score, but this is surely refreshing. Highlights are "Canyon Village" with those catchy Indian chants and that bouncy main theme, the action of "Graveyard of War Machines", the heroic score (with choir) in "Ulhaden Fier" and the drum laden "Inner Sanctum"

I see this working really well in the game, must be a fun experience to hear it in context.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Small Soldiers is just one fun theme after another, in that great early Giacchino fashion, layered by powerful choir and percussion that makes me headbang along. I just love the music to bits. Basically, the themes are just the catchiest he has ever done, the keyword here being a lot of fun, an experience that makes me feeling like a million bucks every time.

So yeah, 5 stars, without a doubt !!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. How many lines of text does a post need to have before you don't even begin reading it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Timmer wrote

The BEST superhero score EVER! This FACT is not arguable, nogotiable or any other 'ble'.

This should get a lot more spins than that Zimmer Batman nonsense everyone is raving on about...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

This should get a lot more spins than that Zimmer Batman nonsense everyone is raving on about...

Well, for those that like and enjoy the Zimmer Batman scores I say live and let live. To me they are 'nothing' scores, I don't enjoy them as a stand alone listen and within the films I barely noticed any of the music, it was just a wash of noise.
  11. Yeah, the fact that you don't like something, doesn't make it nonsense.

As much as I know the Williams score, I don't listen to it very often. I don't think I can say I have a favourite superhero score (no, the Batman series isn't that), because it's not exactly music I listen to often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SUPERMAN rules, Zimmer's BATMAN scores rule! For different reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. DISTANT WORLDS - NOBUO UEMATSU

Really fantastic compilation of the Final Fantasy video game series, featuring an excellent selection of wonderful tunes, all performed by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra for a concert.
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    How many lines of text does a post need to have before you don't even begin reading it?

This is a really funny short post in the middle of this conversation. Are you referring to Pawel's posts? biggrin

If it's longer than a couple paragraphs I don't read it, which is maybe a bad idea, since those are the posts that people put their heart and soul into. Maybe I should change that. Alright then, I will. I'll start by going back and reading Pawel's posts... smile