• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012
    NP: STAR WARS (John Williams)

Going through my SWs again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Long thing of juicy information

I don't and have never really understood the intense dislike and criticism of Hans from some people. He puts more effort into his work (well, most of it lol) than practically anyone else working today.

Out of interest, which composers have you witnessed working in order to make that outrageous statement!? Tell me which part of Madagascar 3 featured more effort on Hans Zimmer's part than practically every other film score written this year?

I've been heavily critical of Zimmer over the years as a film composer, but he sounds like a very nice guy, and Pawel's story only reinforces that.

I've listened to Dark Knight Rises a few times now and am yet to find anything in it I like. It feels like such a gigantic retrograde step from Inception - that score had real energy and propelled the film forward. It was intelligent music, no question, and a very fine film score. Perhaps seeing this film will help, but seeing the previous two films made me like the scores less, and this one feels behind even those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    How many lines of text does a post need to have before you don't even begin reading it?

It depends who wrote it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Out of interest, which composers have you witnessed working in order to make that outrageous statement!? Tell me which part of Madagascar 3 featured more effort on Hans Zimmer's part than practically every other film score written this year?

Madagascar 3 was the exact reason I added the "most of" caveat.
    And my statement was based on Zimmer's stories about working on films compared to other composer's stories of working on films.

Besides, the proof is in the pudding: nearly every Zimmer score (besides the Madagascar films!) contains fresh innovations. You don't have to like the innovations to recognize them for what they are. Its the extra effort from Zimmer that I guess is why people often hate him...because he innovates so much that he has an undue influence on the rest of film music. People copy him precisely because there's something new and (possibly) interesting there.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. THE DIG - MICHAEL LAND

A couple of things stood out in the PC adventure game 'The Dig' back when it was released in 1995. First was the story, thought out by master filmmaker Steven Spielberg himself. Second was the fact that it was a really deep science fiction story on an alien world featuring professionally voiced characters, a very original, novel concept among all the shooters and other nonsense (see, there is that word again) that made up the gaming scene during that time. And third, the immensely original musical score that transported me without effort to that alien world, music full of ethereal and atmospheric passages that turn it into a truly unique musical experience, unlike any other out there.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE DIG - MICHAEL LAND

A couple of things stood out in the PC adventure game 'The Dig' back when it was released in 1995. First was the story, thought out by master filmmaker Steven Spielberg himself. Second was the fact that it was a really deep science fiction story on an alien world featuring professionally voiced characters, a very original, novel concept among all the shooters and other nonsense (see, there is that word again) that made up the gaming scene during that time. And third, the immensely original musical score that transported me without effort to that alien world, music full of ethereal and atmospheric passages that turn it into a truly unique musical experience, unlike any other out there.

Yeah, we've talked about this before. It's one of my favourite scores, period, and I just recently played the game again (after several years). I wish they upgraded this game like they did with the old MONKEY ISLANDs recently.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Me too Thor, I really want to go through it again, it's such a captivating story, it amazes me that Spielberg hasn't turned this into a Hollywood production yet. I'd be first in line to go see it. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    And my statement was based on Zimmer's stories about working on films compared to other composer's stories of working on films.

Besides, the proof is in the pudding: nearly every Zimmer score (besides the Madagascar films!) contains fresh innovations. You don't have to like the innovations to recognize them for what they are. Its the extra effort from Zimmer that I guess is why people often hate him...because he innovates so much that he has an undue influence on the rest of film music. People copy him precisely because there's something new and (possibly) interesting there.

Hmm, I'm not convinced by that. His stories about working on films are one thing, but the proof is often not in the pudding. (Where's all the great innovation in Dark Knight Rises? Where's the crazy stuff that was so out there nobody could believe it would end up in the score, but it did? Where's the music he mentioned that was nothing like anything anyone had heard before?)

Nobody could deny the influence he's had, but is that really evidence of extra effort? Well, perhaps extra effort in networking and making very smart business decisions, I'd accept that, but not in the actual day job, surely. Do you really hear some fresh new innovation in nearly every score he writes, as you said? He revolutionised the method of scoring films (ie moving from a composer writing the score to having a composer having "ideas" and then having a team writing the score, picking up from a vast library of pre-composed stuff and adapting it to fit the film in question) but aside from the action stuff in the 90s and all the world music that came after (Lisa Gerrard's contribution to) Gladiator, is there really that much evidence of all these new things he brings to the table being propagated amongst other composers' work?

I'd say that 83-year-old Ennio Morricone sitting at a desk and writing 60 minutes of fully-notated music with neither a computer nor an orchestrator (nor even a piano) in sight is evidence of quite a lot of effort. Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino, whoever - you can't tell me these guys don't put everything they've got into their work, in terms of effort. Sure, effort only gets you so far (you need the talent in the first place) but I don't see the evidence that Hans Zimmer puts in any more effort than any of those guys, and I have to say that I can't really imagine Thomas Newman cashing a cheque for $1m for scoring Madagascar 3 or Thunderbirds or whatever and then farming the whole thing out to a huge team of others to actually write the score (which doesn't sound like a huge amount of effort at all to me).
  3. Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

Madagascar 3 was the exact reason I added the "most of" caveat.

I beg to differ, Zimmer hasn't tested really new grounds (save for Inception) for quite a while, somewhere since the Batman scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    All this talk about superheroes and their scores has influenced me to play...

NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

The BEST superhero score EVER! This FACT is not arguable, nogotiable or any other 'ble'.

This should get a lot more spins than that Zimmer Batman nonsense everyone is raving on about...

It's not a fact. It's still only an opinion. One shared by many, yes, but consensus of opinions doesn't equate to scientific accuracy. That's a fact. And there's no point arguing.

To be honest, I'm not a Superman fan. I like the March. I like the love theme. But everything else was a wash to me. But to be broad, I'm more of a Jerry Goldsmith fan than a John Williams fan. I don't think it's the definitive Superman theme. I think it's the best theme ever written for the Richard Donner's version of Superman.

In that respect, I don't think Superman is the best superhero score overall. I don't know what is, since every superhero movies and their respective score are so different from one another.

I do have preferences. I prefer Elfman's original Batman score over his sequel score. And I won't compare Goldenthal's effort with either Elfman's or Zimmer's since the original requirements for their creations were so different.
  4. And for my next experiment, I will now quote all the long posts made since my last.

PawelStroinski wrote
    The thing is that I am not talking about Dark Knight Rises in particular, but that little bit called Nothing Out There is some of his most intelligent writing work for years, Inception including.

Looking at things like the reviews of Zimmer at filmtracks, some posts on my forum (though Dark Knight was shockingly liked in Poland, usually the outlook is much worse on my board than it is here and with my own experience with Zimmer's working process merely from my talks to him and my attendance on the recording session (and meeting him a few days earlier in his studio while he was writing Sherlock 2) is something that some people don't have respect at all.

On my own forum I had a lot of fights, where I was very, very snarky and defensive, because people tend to mix up music and the person. The biggest perpetrator in this though is Christian Clemmensen, that little guy, who tends to make personal assessments based on the music. Yes, Hans became a celebrity, yes, I think he likes the popularity, because the popularity is the kind of thing that allows him to stay in his comfort zone (not in a musical sense, but in a life sense, that is he can still stay in his little studio and work with no paparazzi involvement). He gets his money. It's not a problem-less environment, because I do wonder how critical are people around him about his work and things like that (based on what's in Christopher Nolan's liners and the fact that they got him back for Sherlock 2, I'd say that not so critical).

I am in this situation where I am not objective about the person (I can be very critical of the music though, although Dark Knight Rises I honestly like quite a bit), because there was a lot of good things in my life, some of the best things that happened in my life, thanks to Hans Zimmer. I had the composer read a little article I wrote on his music which was to his liking. I got tours of the biggest orchestral recording studios thanks to him. I got a book about music recording techniques (from the 1960s, but still) thanks to him, I attended a Hollywood recording session thanks to him, I have my all-time favourite score autographed at my sight with a personal note. The book also came with a personal note to me in his writing. He always has something nice and inspiring to tell me which comes close to or at the very moments when I need motivation.

This little anecdote will tell you guys a lot about how he is in real life. I didn't mention it in my article, because it wasn't relevant. On the session we were out and I forgot where my lighter was (I am a smoker and so is he) and was standing there with a cigarette (outside the studio, that is). Hans was talking to someone and turned to me, he noticed me without the lighter, lit my cigarette and said sorry. So I have an idea of him as a human being and then I read the bullshit Clemmensen writes and some other members on numerous forums (I know a guy who repeatedly voices that he wishes Hans died) and it's completely separate from what I know from personal contacts, because he is one of the most genuinely nice people I ever met in my life.

I am sorry about this rant, but the whole ordeal, which is not a part of this particular forum, annoys me to bits.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Granted, that guy is a very, very frustrated gay man who lashes out about anything to anyone, especially to people who say anything even slightly positive about Republican Party in the USA.

But still, the way Hans polarizes opinions is just weird. I don't seem to see people around (except this very forum) who find him an average composer who's done some better and worse work. He's either the best thing to ever happen in music (not just film music! Music in general! Let's screw classical music, classic rock music, ANYTHING, Hans Zimmer is THE BESTEST THING EVER!!!one1111oneone) or the worst thing ever to happen to this particular genre.

The way he intellectualized his working process and I am not talking about the interview stuff (has anyone talked to Hans about a particular score a year *after* the score was done? Hans has forgotten almost everything about The Thin Red Line music since, I tried asking him about details and he didn't remember, I talked to Hans quite a bit about Inception and he backed off 90% of things he said in interviews), but about things like The Thin Red Line, Hannibal (a funny thing is that people are thinking his best work was either up to somewhere near 1996 or his *most recent* output, I think his best period was 1998-2003 with very notable exceptions in 2004, 2006 and, really, Inception, after I really listened into what he's done there musically), Black Hawk Down.

He has his share of crap, but who doesn't? I think that last year was his positively worst year in his whole career, he was partly responsible for one of the worst game scores I've ever heard (his theme is not even decent, but to be completely honest, Brian Tyler made something worse, which shocked me, for the third part of the series, sorry Demetris, if Tyler ever did the impossible, that was it - better score, but two quite bad themes), suddenly he came out with Inception which was something different from him, even if Clemmensen didn't notice it.

But either the best or the worst thing ever? My favourite recent output happens to be probably from Desplat. On my Polish forum I am regarded as a person who kind of listens to Zimmer, which as you know, is not true.

But I do like the Batman music (the first score was I think perfect in the film, the second has issues, which I partly blame on JNH with his Dent music being plain redundant and Hans - and possibly Nolan - botching the end of the movie with overly serious material, with all due respect, I think the final speeches are even not really well-written), I love Inception, I love Da Vinci Code (great work musically, a bad film score). What keeps me loyal to Hans as a listener and as a fan is really things like Crimson Tide, The Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Hannibal, which I love to bits.

Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote

Hmm, I'm not convinced by that. His stories about working on films are one thing, but the proof is often not in the pudding. (Where's all the great innovation in Dark Knight Rises? Where's the crazy stuff that was so out there nobody could believe it would end up in the score, but it did? Where's the music he mentioned that was nothing like anything anyone had heard before?)

Nobody could deny the influence he's had, but is that really evidence of extra effort? Well, perhaps extra effort in networking and making very smart business decisions, I'd accept that, but not in the actual day job, surely. Do you really hear some fresh new innovation in nearly every score he writes, as you said? He revolutionised the method of scoring films (ie moving from a composer writing the score to having a composer having "ideas" and then having a team writing the score, picking up from a vast library of pre-composed stuff and adapting it to fit the film in question) but aside from the action stuff in the 90s and all the world music that came after (Lisa Gerrard's contribution to) Gladiator, is there really that much evidence of all these new things he brings to the table being propagated amongst other composers' work?

I'd say that 83-year-old Ennio Morricone sitting at a desk and writing 60 minutes of fully-notated music with neither a computer nor an orchestrator (nor even a piano) in sight is evidence of quite a lot of effort. Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino, whoever - you can't tell me these guys don't put everything they've got into their work, in terms of effort. Sure, effort only gets you so far (you need the talent in the first place) but I don't see the evidence that Hans Zimmer puts in any more effort than any of those guys, and I have to say that I can't really imagine Thomas Newman cashing a cheque for $1m for scoring Madagascar 3 or Thunderbirds or whatever and then farming the whole thing out to a huge team of others to actually write the score (which doesn't sound like a huge amount of effort at all to me).

NP: The Dark Knight Rises (Zimmer)

biggrin

No. Not really. I can't imagine anyone whose seen the film would either. And I'm not likely to put on Elfman's Batman or Williams' Superman either. Time to jump over to the Non-Film Music thread.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Henry Jackman

Indescribably appalling.
  5. Southall wrote
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Henry Jackman

Indescribably appalling.

the question is now, did he put everything he got in this? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm sure he did everything he was told to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    And for my next experiment, I will now quote all the long posts made since my last.

How did the experiment turn out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Music from the Edge - John Corigliano

Methinks that no small amount of effort went into this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012 edited
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

The BEST superhero score EVER! This FACT is not arguable, nogotiable or any other 'ble'.

This should get a lot more spins than that Zimmer Batman nonsense everyone is raving on about...

It's not a fact. It's still only an opinion. One shared by many, yes, but consensus of opinions doesn't equate to scientific accuracy. That's a fact. And there's no point arguing.

You are right, and I know it, I'm just too stubborn to acknowledge that, while I'm impulse-posting like I do sometimes. Tastes and preferences are nothing to argue about. What we can argue about is the quality of the music. And there's no point denying that the quality of Superman surpasses the quality of Zimmer's Batman in every domain. Ask yourself this question: what score will stand the test of time, and be remembered the longest? Superman is like a classical piece of work, a symphonic tour de force, that is rich in themes, creativity, melody, and moments of beauty and grandeur. I'm sure in 100 years time, it will have its own set of fans, posting away on futuristic forums about the merits of superhero scores, and which ones they think have remained timeless. Superman will be the most mentioned.
  6. Southall wrote

Really waiting to get to hear this one, haven't ordered it yet and I might not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

If you truly think that Timmer equates his thoughts as pure scientific fact then you really have zero clue how things operate around here. Tongue is firmly in cheek here! Haven't you figured this out, yet?

lp wrote
    To be honest, I'm not a Superman fan. I like the March. I like the love theme. But everything else was a wash to me. But to be broad, I'm more of a Jerry Goldsmith fan than a John Williams fan. I don't think it's the definitive Superman theme. I think it's the best theme ever written for the Richard Donner's version of Superman.

What is the definitive Superman theme then?

lp wrote
    In that respect, I don't think Superman is the best superhero score overall. I don't know what is, since every superhero movies and their respective score are so different from one another.

I'm my opinion you are wrong. And in my opinion Timmer is speaking the truth. Fact!

lp wrote
    I do have preferences. I prefer Elfman's original Batman score over his sequel score. And I won't compare Goldenthal's effort with either Elfman's or Zimmer's since the original requirements for their creations were so different.

sleep Where is the fun in that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Really waiting to get to hear this one, haven't ordered it yet and I might not.

There's some remarkable stuff in it. It hasn't made the immediate impression on me that his other film scores did, but still - it's wonderful to hear such intelligent music written for a film (and a pretty shoddy reflection on the state of Hollywood film music that it wasn't used).
  7. Probably, though we have different definitions of intelligence in film music. For example while I do agree that a lot of James Horner music is very intelligently written in terms of the whole orchestration/technique/symphonic structure side of things, I don't think his music makes often for an *intelligent film score*.

I just think that he thinks more in terms of writing a symphony than interpreting and underscoring a film (especially the interpretation part). It's intelligent music, but I do have quite a few problems with him overloading the movies emotionally, like in case of A Beautiful Mind (the heavy-handed ending is made even more heavy-handed because of the score, I think the same of Hans' score to Da Vinci Code and I don't think it's accidental that both scores were written for Ron Howard movies) or Perfect Storm. To me the some of the best purely film music he's done in form of his more ambient soundscapes. Like, you at least used to hate House of Sand and Fog and it's one of my recent Horner favourites and I love it as a film score and I appreciate the album for that, finding it largely underrated.

To me an intelligent score may be fairly simplistic in musical terms. The understanding of the context is, for me, more important than the quality of the orchestrations. As much as Hans Zimmer couldn't write something like Legends of the Fall (even if it's relatively, well, simplistic for Horner's orchestration standards), I don't think James Horner could handle The Thin Red Line and I think Hans' understanding of a movie is something quite special, even if he *does* make mistakes, recently even a lot of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Probably, though we have different definitions of intelligence in film music. For example while I do agree that a lot of James Horner music is very intelligently written in terms of the whole orchestration/technique/symphonic structure side of things, I don't think his music makes often for an *intelligent film score*.

I just think that he thinks more in terms of writing a symphony than interpreting and underscoring a film (especially the interpretation part). It's intelligent music, but I do have quite a few problems with him overloading the movies emotionally, like in case of A Beautiful Mind (the heavy-handed ending is made even more heavy-handed because of the score, I think the same of Hans' score to Da Vinci Code and I don't think it's accidental that both scores were written for Ron Howard movies) or Perfect Storm. To me the some of the best purely film music he's done in form of his more ambient soundscapes. Like, you at least used to hate House of Sand and Fog and it's one of my recent Horner favourites and I love it as a film score and I appreciate the album for that, finding it largely underrated.

To me an intelligent score may be fairly simplistic in musical terms. The understanding of the context is, for me, more important than the quality of the orchestrations. As much as Hans Zimmer couldn't write something like Legends of the Fall (even if it's relatively, well, simplistic for Horner's orchestration standards), I don't think James Horner could handle The Thin Red Line and I think Hans' understanding of a movie is something quite special, even if he *does* make mistakes, recently even a lot of them.

I don't think James Horner could handle The Thin Red Line either (but neither do I think Hans Zimmer can handle The Dark Knight Rises, and I do think James Horner could). Horner does straightforward dramatic narratives very well, I think, and struggles with anything that goes beyond that (and I don't mean "dramatic commentary", which strikes me as the easiest style of film scoring, I do think he delves inside films). Zimmer is better employed at applying "concepts" to more audiovisual experiences than stuff with traditional narrative structure, I think. On a simplistic level, Horner's at the 2012 end of the line started by Alex North in the 50s, Zimmer's at the 2012 end of the line started by Delerue and Morricone and whoever in the 60s (and they're totally different lines).

I don't think we're that far apart, really, though it sometimes feels like it! When I talk about Horner intelligence I'm usually speaking about the dramatic journey he plots for the film, rather than anything compositional (I assume that's a given). I don't think there are many (any?) out there who do the traditional route more effectively, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Horner does just fine with his understanding of a picture. Sure, he plays the emotional elements in full force at times but I love it when the music wants to tell you something even though it's evident on screen as to what is happening. I love that extra little jolt; that extra bit of emotional manipulation.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (On the other hand, when I spoke about the intelligence of the Corigliano album, I was only referring to the composition - just to be confusing!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I don't think James Horner could handle The Thin Red Line either (but neither do I think Hans Zimmer can handle The Dark Knight Rises, and I do think James Horner could). Horner does straightforward dramatic narratives very well, I think, and struggles with anything that goes beyond that (and I don't mean "dramatic commentary", which strikes me as the easiest style of film scoring, I do think he delves inside films). Zimmer is better employed at applying "concepts" to more audiovisual experiences than stuff with traditional narrative structure, I think. On a simplistic level, Horner's at the 2012 end of the line started by Alex North in the 50s, Zimmer's at the 2012 end of the line started by Delerue and Morricone and whoever in the 60s (and they're totally different lines).

I don't think we're that far apart, really, though it sometimes feels like it! When I talk about Horner intelligence I'm usually speaking about the dramatic journey he plots for the film, rather than anything compositional (I assume that's a given). I don't think there are many (any?) out there who do the traditional route more effectively, actually.

Yeah, that. But I adore both composers in their own unique ways.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (John Williams)

Interestingly, my least favourite score of the original trilogy, while it seems to be the opposite for everyone else and their grandmother.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Too dark?
  9. To James: I think the best composer doing the traditional narrative is still John Williams and of course he also adds a lot of depth to that narrative by his impeccable usage of thematic material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (John Williams)

Interestingly, my least favourite score of the original trilogy, while it seems to be the opposite for everyone else and their grandmother.

dizzy Cuck-fucking-coo! dizzy

-Erik-