• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    David OC wrote

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann

A true classic - and can never get enough of the short but staggering 'Gort', one of the greatest cues of all time. The menace, the otherwordliness of it - actually I can't think of many more cues in film music history that I love more.

Absolutely brilliant stuff! Couldn't agree more! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited
    ATTACK OF THE CLONES and REVENGE OF THE SITH were played lately, but not NP'ed here. So now it's on to the other SW-related albums, starting with:

NP: STAR WARS: EWOKS (Peter Bernstein/John Williams)

For the spin-off films BATTLE FOR ENDOR and CARAVAN OF COURAGE, Bernstein jr. references the famous theme on occasion, but it's mostly original. A bit skimpy, performance-wise, but plenty of rollicking Erik Woods segments in the traditional style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE (Joel McNeely/John Williams)

When it's good, it's really good, but it's also a bit too bombastic at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS: SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE (Joel McNeely/John Williams)

When it's good, it's really good, plus it's also very bombastic at times - which is no bad thing.

Preach it, brother! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see what you did there.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I must say I'm impressed by the durability of that phrase in Steven's signature. By drawing attention to it, I'm sure I've doomed it. punk

NP: Dark Knight Rises (Hans Zimmer)

Ok, it's a better album than film score. There are some very strange fades throughout though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sound editor on some good weed then wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (Kevin Kiner/John Williams)

Meh....far, far too bombastic with little direction.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Hearts in Atlantis: perhaps his best score to date, imo.

I still consider many of his pre-LOTR score to be his finest. SCANNERS, THE FLY, SE7EN, ED WOOD, THE CELL and LOOKING FOR RICHARD are exceptional film scores. THE SCORE, written around the same time as THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, is one of the finest jazz scores ever written. THE YARDS is something I need to revisit. I haven't spun it sinfe I first played it on my show back in 2000.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (John Williams)

The Skywalker orchestra recording -- a classic compilation with superb sound. Performances are good too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    One of the greatest re-recordings of all time!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/re-record … s-trilogy/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: De Rouille Et D'os - Desplat

The opening (title) cue is so gorgeous that I just had to post and say so. Its also unusually organic and alive-sounding for being a Desplat piece...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That's not the one I'm listening to, but yeah -- the Kojian/Utah one is an even better recording.

This is the one I'm listening to:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gpMBcrsRL.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Great one! Got it as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That's not the one I'm listening to, but yeah -- the Kojian/Utah one is an even better recording.

This is the one I'm listening to:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gpMBcrsRL.jpg

The sound is great but the conducting the shoddy! I can't believe that's Williams conducting. Some very lethargic performances!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS - ON ORGAN (John Williams)

John Rose plays the famous themes on the church organ. It's certainly in the esoteric area, but nice as a curiousity.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Origins - DEMO CUES - Hans Zimmer

This really dial in the 50 minutes of new (and updated) thematic materials for the movie. I love it!!!!

Granted, that a lot, if not most of it is in the album, it's quite nice to hear how they were all originally developed.

Are these from the iphone app?

Yup. From the longest suite available, Wayne Manor, you hear the "new" theme for Bruce Wayne. You can hear it on the official album, On Thin Ice, which is a variation on the cello theme from The Fan. Then you get the awesome actiony version of that theme, which harken back to Molossus, but really, the string piece from Black Rain. Completely worth it overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Dark Knight Rises (Hans Zimmer)

Ok, it's a better album than film score. There are some very strange fades throughout though.

I agree. It's a better album than film score. And it's an awful album. As a film score, my jaw just dropped at the sheer banality of it all. (Bane = banal? Perhaps there was a bit of confusion.) Not just a score that didn't do what it might have done for the film, but that rare thing - a score that made a good film worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Postino - Luis Bacalov

An absolutely gorgeous score, and completely perfect listening for a warm summer night as the sun goes down.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

I still consider many of his pre-LOTR score to be his finest. SCANNERS, THE FLY, SE7EN, ED WOOD, THE CELL and LOOKING FOR RICHARD are exceptional film scores. THE SCORE, written around the same time as THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, is one of the finest jazz scores ever written. THE YARDS is something I need to revisit. I haven't spun it sinfe I first played it on my show back in 2000.

-Erik-

Just a note that HEARTS IN ATLANTIS is by Mychael Danna.
    As for the rest of them, Shore does some very fine film scores, it must be agreed (THE GAME is another). THE YARDS is just the most emotional listen among them, which is why I like it the most. (Say what you will for CELL or THE SCORE, you don't listen to them for pathos.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HEARTS IN ATLANTIS is a gorgeous score, by the way. The glass harmonica is prevalent, if I remember correctly (or I may be confusing it with Egoyan's THE SWEET HEREAFTER).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. No confusion, you remember it well. smile
  4. Whispers in the Dark - Thomas Newman

Half of this is extremely gorgeous and the other half is unnerving aural horror (it's been said that parts of it presage Angels in America; I think it's more a precursor to Red Corner than anything). This really is an early gem from Newman's long career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SKETCHES ON STAR WARS (John Williams)

The Varese album with the Terry Trotter Trio performing jazz versions of themes. Still in the curiosity category. After this, I've had enough STAR WARS for now.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai

Writing a script in a four-star hotel (perks of winning a TV show) while listening to this for inspiration. Bliss.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Last Samurai

Writing a script in a four-star hotel (perks of winning a TV show) while listening to this for inspiration. Bliss.

Good times!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

From Whispers to this, this is much more pleasant. "Road to Jaipur" is too short!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

From Whispers to this, this is much more pleasant. "Road to Jaipur" is too short!!

One of my favourite scores this year, very enjoyable and I've always loved Indian influences.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Just a note that HEARTS IN ATLANTIS is by Mychael Danna.
    As for the rest of them, Shore does some very fine film scores, it must be agreed (THE GAME is another). THE YARDS is just the most emotional listen among them, which is why I like it the most. (Say what you will for CELL or THE SCORE, you don't listen to them for pathos.)

I didn't mean to quote the Danna score portion. Damn iPhone... good score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    Demetris wrote

It is very nice, but a bit shapeless compared to Antwone Fisher and Girl, Interrupted, which for me are much better scores. It actually feels like a long time since Danna wrote anything really good, though one of his sibling collaborations, Tideland, was very strong.

Moon - Clint Mansell

Been a while and even though it works much better in the brilliant film, it's still very impressive in parts, especially in the opening/closing signature piece and the 'Memories' theme.