• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    NP - nothing. But I did just get back from a run on which I listened to some really great music. My ipod was just playing my favorite tracks on shuffle and this is what it came up with:

"Care of the Spitfire Grill" - THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner
    "Prologue" - THE HUDSUCKER PROXY - composed by Aram Katchaturian (maybe conducted by Carter Burwell?)
    "The Last Rose of Summer" - the opera MARTHA - Friedrich Von Flotow
    "You Are the Pan" - HOOK - John Williams
    "Reclaiming Faith" - THE GREATEST MIRACLE - Mark McKenzie
    "The Lamborghini of Snow Cats" - EIGHT BELOW - Mark Isham
    "Closing Credits" - GLORY - James Horner

Not exactly your typical workout music, but it made my evening run really peaceful and nice. That track from the Hudsucker Proxy is absolute dynamite. All the others are good to great, but that Katchaturian piece is absolutely wonderful and was great in the film, too. Anybody know the piece I'm talking about. That has the best crescendo I've ever heard in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    christopher,

I like that all the pieces you mention that I already know I really love, and then you mentioned a bunch of pieces I don't know. It seems I have some great discoveries ahead of me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kindergarten cop (Edelman)

What a lovely score. Not all the underscore is interesting, but the themes I love.

Kimberly (Poledouris)

The main theme is excellent. Other good themes, but much of the underscore I could do without.

Transformers (Jablonsky)

Simplistic, but absolutely excellent. Me like. Me like alot.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

One of my very favourite JNH scores, some here might think I'm mad but I'll take this over say, THE VILLAGE anytime.

Both great scores.
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

One of my very favourite JNH scores, some here might think I'm mad but I'll take this over say, THE VILLAGE anytime.

You are mad, but I reserve the right to use your opinion as backup on a range of other issues where you happen to be in the right. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Lost In Space - Bruce Broughton

The greatest replacement score of all time? I'd say yes - or at least near the top of the list. For the little amount of time Broughton had to work on this (2 and a half weeks), for the sheer amount of music he had to write (70 minutes plus - written, re-written and then re-written again) and the quality of the writing that was produced... yeah, I'm confortable in giving this score the title of greatest replacement score of all time.

Man, that would make a great second part to a rejected scores radio program. On part one play the rejected scores (if possible) and then play the replacements.

-Erik-

I wish Broughton composed more scores like these, simply great fun and non-stop exhilarating.

It has such a tremendous effect coupled with the pictures, I totally enjoy the film too. A true guilty pleasure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Another superb score from Goldsmith. "Escape From Suburbia" is awesome and contains one of my favourite moments from any Jerry Goldsmith score.

Great score, brilliant even. I'll take Rebirth as the most awesome cue though love

Rebirth is actually part two of that monster cue. If you add 'It Knows What Scares You', Rebirth becomes even more powerful.

I'm still certain this is my favourite Jerry. Goosebumps up the wazoo !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS - TREVOR JONES & RANDY EDELMAN

The re-recording isn't bad, but maybe the emotion is more felt in the original recording, I don't know.

Still a top-notch listen! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

The greatest replacement score of all time? I'd say yes - or at least near the top of the list.

I like this one - must give it another listen. I had forgotten it was written in such a short space of time. Who wrote the rejected score? (Something else I've forgotten!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The greatest replacement score of all time? I'd say yes - or at least near the top of the list.

I like this one - must give it another listen. I had forgotten it was written in such a short space of time. Who wrote the rejected score? (Something else I've forgotten!)

I seem to remember that Williams was slated to score it (as he did the original show), but schedules crashed. Don't quote me on that, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I thought it was originally Goldsmith who then recommended Broughton to score it instead.
  5. Mark Isham did. Goldsmith was second, after Arnold.

Listed under "REJECTED", 1998:
    http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/list.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent!

-Erik-

You should check out the Mass Effect game scores Erik. Some of the cues have a very Tron Legacy feel to them. Some awesome music present in those games. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

The sound scape of Torn Legacy is so wondrous, hypnotic and extremely powerful! Every element in this score from organic to electronic complements each other so perfectly. The themes... oh man, the themes. Not since... oh, I don't know... The Lord of the Rings have themes from one particuar score been this strong. It has been a very, very, very long time since a score of this calibre has had such a profound affect on me. I know that I drooled over How To Train Your Dragon (a score I selected as the best score of the year in 2010 and rightfully so) but Tron Legacy (released the same year as HTTYD) has been the most played album in my collection since its release. Raiders, Star Wars, Medal of Honor, Back To The Future and all of my other top 10 favorite rarely get this kind of playtime. What does that mean? Is Tron Legacy becoming one of my top 10 scores of all time - a top 10 list that hasn't changed for roughly 10-15 years. What does it replace? I think I need to revisit my top 10 anyway. I need to fit in stuff like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Signs.

So confused. crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Here's the main theme from Mass Effect:

Main Theme

Here's one of the more standout tracks from Mass Effect 2.

Suicide Mission
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks. I'm looking into finding the album!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my personal favourite Jerry scores . I also have a weak spot for the movie ... smile
    I really would like to see a full release of the score . I have the Crescendo CD and a Soundtrack Library one but that has awful audio quality ... sadly ... sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  7. Intrada did release it some time ago, the original tracks rather than the original album's re-recording by Goldsmith himself.

Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt- The Pledge

A really overlooked score which is exclusively or almost exclusively a Badelt work (Zimmer gets the main credit and a producer one on the album and in the film). Chamber work, featuring electronics, piano, guitar, solo violin (is it a fiddle?), electric guitar, a cello and ethereal vocals courtesy of Alison Moynihan. Very atmospheric, completely anti-Hollywood, somehow depressing and sometimes with tingles of hope hinted at, very cold.

Zimmer's contribution may be discussion over the general sound, playing some synths and the theme played best in Ex-Cop.

I really like it since I rediscovered it recently, thanks to an original copy I bought very early in my days. Not for everyone, but if anyone things that RCP/MV is only one style, this underrated works showcases it's not.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Eric wrote
    NP : Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my personal favourite Jerry scores . I also have a weak spot for the movie ... smile
    I really would like to see a full release of the score . I have the Crescendo CD and a Soundtrack Library one but that has awful audio quality ... sadly ... sad

IMO, the re-recording beats the pants of the original soundtrack recording. Hang on to that GNP Crescendo album. It's a stunner!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm NOT letting it go Erik , you can be shure of that ! wink
    I forgot there was an Intrada release as well , I missed buying that one though ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. plindboe wrote
    christopher,

I like that all the pieces you mention that I already know I really love, and then you mentioned a bunch of pieces I don't know. It seems I have some great discoveries ahead of me.

Peter smile

The EIGHT BELOW track isn't on the same level as the others, btw.
  9. SYMPHONIC FANTASIES TOKYO

From the people behind the fantastic 'Symphonic ... ' game concert series (including 'Symphonic Shades' and 'Symphonic Odysseys'), comes this much improved update of their 2009 concert recording (which was already stellar IMO). The big improvements come in the form of higher quality arrangements and the addition of powerful choir. The music is sounds bigger than ever before and you get more bang for your buck.

If you have yet to discover the rich and wonderful music of Kingdom Hearts, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy, check this album out. It features 4 lengthy suites of the highlights of each series. As a bonus there's an encore in the form of a suite of battle music from the 4 game series.

More info here

And comes recommended by me. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked

I LOVE Symphonic Shades. Never got around to finding Odysseys though. Must remedy that soon.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Symphonic Odysseys is a tribute concert for the great Nobuo Uematsu.

Who? You ask?

Liberi Fatali

Just one of his many splendid creations. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Silk (Sakamoto)

The Arvo Part borrowings bothered me at first in this score, but of late I find I'm quite happy just to soak up its romantic mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-poYe395PhM

I find that in general I'm far less bothered by borrowings than in my younger days - though the degree of bother does very much depend on the borrower and the borrowee - and the purpose of the borrowing.

Too much thinking kills enjoyment.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Intrada did release it some time ago, the original tracks rather than the original album's re-recording by Goldsmith himself.

Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt- The Pledge

A really overlooked score which is exclusively or almost exclusively a Badelt work (Zimmer gets the main credit and a producer one on the album and in the film). Chamber work, featuring electronics, piano, guitar, solo violin (is it a fiddle?), electric guitar, a cello and ethereal vocals courtesy of Alison Moynihan. Very atmospheric, completely anti-Hollywood, somehow depressing and sometimes with tingles of hope hinted at, very cold.

Zimmer's contribution may be discussion over the general sound, playing some synths and the theme played best in Ex-Cop.

I really like it since I rediscovered it recently, thanks to an original copy I bought very early in my days. Not for everyone, but if anyone things that RCP/MV is only one style, this underrated works showcases it's not.

It's very esoteric, and touching at places. I love it. Has a nostalgic trait in its sound too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent!

-Erik-

Absolutely. Brilliant score in all aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I know that I drooled over How To Train Your Dragon (a score I selected as the best score of the year in 2010 and rightfully so) but Tron Legacy (released the same year as HTTYD) has been the most played album in my collection since its release. Raiders, Star Wars, Medal of Honor, Back To The Future and all of my other top 10 favorite rarely get this kind of playtime. What does that mean? Is Tron Legacy becoming one of my top 10 scores of all time - a top 10 list that hasn't changed for roughly 10-15 years. What does it replace? I think I need to revisit my top 10 anyway. I need to fit in stuff like Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Signs.

So confused. crazy

-Erik-

Does it worry you that much that you need to quantify your favourite scores? I must admit I enjoy my music far more now that I'm not worrying about whether this or that is my 12th favourite score, or my 28th favourite cue (because admittedly I did use to do that). Still, that's me. If you get enjoyment from quantifiable 'personal favourite' lists, all power to you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    It's part of who I am, I guess. If someone where to look over my list then they would have a better understanding of the sort of music, style I like.

By the way, a lot of the tone in that post was tongue in cheek. I'm not loosing any sleep over this.

-Erik-