• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. As if I need reminding of the film's theme!! wink

As I say, I can't really hear it. Which is likely to surprise people who can obviously hear the connection. All I hear is similarities that, I believe, equate to common structures in Japanese music rather than these two melodies.

But then Michael, you are more steeped in a more detailed dissection of film music and seem to have a wider understanding of music so I will take your word on this.

I will certainly go back to the various clips and themes and take another listen to try and see the similarities better.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    As if I need reminding of the film's theme!! wink

It's a funny old world. wink (That was more for anyone else who was watching.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Oh and Tim, have you played ST:TMP Deluxe yet?

Yes I did ( on Friday....I couldn't wait until Saturday like I'd said ), stunning, better sound, great extras, what more can I say? It's been in my all time top 10 scores since 1979.

p.s. I haven't played the 3rd disc yet and I bi-passed the original 1979 representation from the LP.

OMG ! I'm so sorry for doubting that Jerry's masterpiece would blow me away.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

I'm now listening to the new release and it does blow me away (to the point it almost hurts)... The sound quality... what can I say... I'm hearing details I've never noticed before in the sound design. The alien textures and the blaster beam are fantastic and the dynamic range of every single cue has been improved immensely. What a remastering job !!!! Jerry has created such an incredible sound for this film. So rich, so alienating, so invigorating, so detailed, so masterful. I wasn't sure if the new presentation would give me a new look on the music, but it does. And I will now order this as soon as friggin' possible. punk

I was convinced by the end of track 5 (The Enterprise). beer

So glad you like it guys, not that there's any surprise there.
    And I love what you wrote about this too Pawel!
    Cheers to magnificent music! beer
  3. Magnificent music?

Like this one?

SUPER ATRAGON - MASAMICHI AMANO

Only for lovers of epic larger than life and super-exciting orchestral music.

punk punk punk

Thank you Randal (Atham). wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: Silk (Sakamoto)

The Arvo Part borrowings bothered me at first in this score, but of late I find I'm quite happy just to soak up its romantic mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-poYe395PhM
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    Magnificent music?

Like this one?

SUPER ATRAGON - MASAMICHI AMANO

Only for lovers of epic larger than life and super-exciting orchestral music.

punk punk punk

Thank you Randal (Atham). wink

AWESOME!!!! punk beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Silk (Sakamoto)

The Arvo Part borrowings bothered me at first in this score, but of late I find I'm quite happy just to soak up its romantic mood.

Stunning score, shame he doesn't do more such works more often.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

Oddly it doesn't bother me as much as the Part borrowings in Snow Falling On Cedars.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...oh and that doesn't bother me too much either wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Hisaishi

Mind blowing score!

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

One of my very favourite JNH scores, some here might think I'm mad but I'll take this over say, THE VILLAGE anytime.
  5. Oh yes, I'm not fond of 'The Village' either. Vertical Limit is more enjoyable, more butt-kicking so to speak.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

I find that in general I'm far less bothered by borrowings than in my younger days - though the degree of bother does very much depend on the borrower and the borrowee - and the purpose of the borrowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh yes, I'm not fond of 'The Village' either. Vertical Limit is more enjoyable, more butt-kicking so to speak.

Of all the James Newton Howard scores that begin with a V, The Village and Vertical Limit are at numbers one and two on my personal list of favourites. I like them both.
  6. When you put those two V's together, you have my number one:

VVaterworld. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

One of my very favourite JNH scores, some here might think I'm mad but I'll take this over say, THE VILLAGE anytime.

Not mad at all Tim. Vertical Limit and Waterworld are, IMO, two of his finest accomplishments.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I could never get into Vertical Limit. Umm... must give it another shot.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I could never get into Vertical Limit. Umm... must give it another shot.

-Erik-

Track three, 'You Wanna do this'.

It might convince you smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  7. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I find that in general I'm far less bothered by borrowings than in my younger days - though the degree of bother does very much depend on the borrower and the borrowee - and the purpose of the borrowing.

Curiously enough, credit spreads have blown out in financial markets relative to when we first got into this... coincidence?! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PS: that is one of your finest posts, without doubt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Superman - John Williams

As close as I can get to the original album arrangement from the Rhino release. I'm enjoying this more than I remembered!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh yes, I'm not fond of 'The Village' either. Vertical Limit is more enjoyable, more butt-kicking so to speak.

I don't think Tim was suggesting that he isn't fond of The Village, especially with all those RVW influences.

cool

NP: THE VILLAGE - James Newton Howard

A very fine score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    yeah

what you said, I'm not NP'ing anything wink
  8. NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Another superb score from Goldsmith. "Escape From Suburbia" is awesome and contains one of my favourite moments from any Jerry Goldsmith score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Another superb score from Goldsmith. "Escape From Suburbia" is awesome and contains one of my favourite moments from any Jerry Goldsmith score.

Great score, brilliant even. I'll take Rebirth as the most awesome cue though love
  9. I'd be quite happy with "Rebirth" and a few more tracks too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's not exactly lacking in great tracks beer
  10. Timmer wrote
    It's not exactly lacking in great tracks beer

I have always been quite good at resisting, but I think that I will make an exception here:

yeah

FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    NP: Lost In Space - Bruce Broughton

The greatest replacement score of all time? I'd say yes - or at least near the top of the list. For the little amount of time Broughton had to work on this (2 and a half weeks), for the sheer amount of music he had to write (70 minutes plus - written, re-written and then re-written again) and the quality of the writing that was produced... yeah, I'm confortable in giving this score the title of greatest replacement score of all time.

Man, that would make a great second part to a rejected scores radio program. On part one play the rejected scores (if possible) and then play the replacements.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!