• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    You mean change mediums.

-Erik-

You won't let us forget animation isn't a genre, but you have to admit it often leads to a certain type of score. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INTO THIN AIR - Lee Holdridge

Magnificent symphonic scoring for a very poor made for TV movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. That's a little-mentioned gem of a score, Tim.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isn't it just Alan beer The film is occasionally shown on Channel 5....take my advice and give it a miss.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That's a little-mentioned gem of a score, Tim.

Well, Tim certainly keeps mentioning it time and again. Because of that, it's one I've long wanted to check out. Come to think of it, I don't have any Holdridge in my collection beyond a few themes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You mean change mediums.

-Erik-

You won't let us forget animation isn't a genre, but you have to admit it often leads to a certain type of score. smile

No, I will not admit that because it's not true.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It may not be a genre in the strictest sense of the word, but I don't think it's a totally different medium either. More like a style, maybe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I liked this quote by Brad Bird.

“People think of animation only doing things where people are dancing around and doing a lot of histrionics, but animation is not a genre. And people keep saying, ‘The animation genre.’ It’s not a genre! A Western is a genre! Animation is an art form, and it can do any genre. You know, it can do a detective film, a cowboy film, a horror film, an R-rated film or a kids’ fairy tale. But it doesn’t do one thing. And, next time I hear, ‘What’s it like working in the animation genre?’ I’m going to punch that person!”

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INTO THIN AIR - Lee Holdridge

Magnificent symphonic scoring for a very poor made for TV movie.

One of the best sounding film scores I've ever heard!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

“People think of animation only doing things where people are dancing around and doing a lot of histrionics, but animation is not a genre. And people keep saying, ‘The animation genre.’ It’s not a genre! A Western is a genre! Animation is an art form, and it can do any genre. You know, it can do a detective film, a cowboy film, a horror film, an R-rated film or a kids’ fairy tale. But it doesn’t do one thing. And, next time I hear, ‘What’s it like working in the animation genre?’ I’m going to punch that person!”

-Erik-

Animation films could be about anything, but the fact is they generally are limited to be more kid-friendly. When an animated r-rated horror film comes along I'll change my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Animation films could be about anything, but the fact is they generally are limited to be more kid-friendly. When an animated r-rated horror film comes along I'll change my opinion.

I don't know about that. There are tons of animated films that are more in an artfilm vein; that present challenging issues for adults. Like WALTZ WITH BASHIR.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I said generally. And lets face it, John Powell hasn't written music for something like Waltz With Bashir!
  2. sdtom wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Well, if you look at animated as a wholly different medium, yeah. I'd love to hear him get out of the typecast and do some wholly different films for a change. He has huge potential and those money-changing sequels-of-sequels of animated films he does all the time do not seem to provide him with the inspiration he needs, perhaps.

But it certainly puts money in his pocket.

So does Chip and Dales strip clubs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Have you watched any Anime or Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films?

-Erik-
  3. Exactly. Miyazaki is more often kid-friendly than not though, if we look from a Japanese perspective (the culture allows for more graphic depiction of both nudity and violence than we Westerners think fit). But the popping heads in Princess Mononoke are certainly very interesting.

Anime can be very graphic, but in a conventional way. One of my most favourite animated movies of all time is Ghost in the Shell. A very ambitious, philosophical and mature (and also includes very graphic violence in the first scene) sci-fi movie, one of my favourite philosophical films ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think we can agree though that the animated films John Powell scores are usually in the same genre. I haven't even bought his last few, and I consider myself a big fan.
  4. That's true, but just calling the genre "animation" is somehow wrong in context of it just being an art form. "Family movies/comedies", that's what I'd call the genre. I agree with Brad Bird quite a lot here, and I am not an expert. I guess Miya could butt in here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, sure. Animation's not a genre. But Powell's films are usually kids' adventure stories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Oh, sure. Animation's not a genre. But Powell's films are usually kids' adventure stories.

agree
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Speaking of animation, NP: Land Before Time - Jim Horner

He channels Prokofiev a bit with this one. Nicely though.
    It's grand, sweeping and exciting in places but also very sweet at its heart.
    It's been a long time since I last played it. Very nice to revisit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Yeap. And it's getting tiring.

first listen PATRICK DOYLE'S "Brave"

Make those pipes stop!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    There were more than 400 unread posts in this thread and I happened to come here today, and saw a discussion on animation? wow. Am I lucky or not? tongue I haven't read them all anyway wink

Today's playlist:

Several lovely stupid songs wink from The Producers (Mel Brooks) on YouTube tongue
    Some Sakamoto Ryuich tracks
    The Thin Red Line (Hans Zimmer)
    and NP: Road To Perdition (Thomas Newman)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That's true, but just calling the genre "animation" is somehow wrong in context of it just being an art form. "Family movies/comedies", that's what I'd call the genre. I agree with Brad Bird quite a lot here, and I am not an expert. I guess Miya could butt in here.

Brad Bird needs my butt? confused wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - snow white and the huntsman

If you are still having difficulties appreciating James Newton Howard excellent score http://www.amazon.com/White-Huntsman-Ja … B007WFR0R2 try listening just to the following tracks: 01. Snow white, 06.You Failed me Finn, 08.Journey to Fenland, 09.Fenfland in Flames, 10.Sanctuary, 11.White Hart, 12.Gone. Also "14.Death favours no man" which reminds me of his finest Shyamalan-inspired emotional material. It's a very good score, particularly overlooked imo. There's a lot of melody and sentimental passages in there as well, not so evident in the picture. The Fenland material in particular is touching. In the film they're prematurely edited or burried beneath the sfx, Except for 3 cases where music is let to shine: when they go through Fenland, the journey in the mountains with the gorgeous "Gone" underscoring it and the scene with the big White animal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Brave and Abraham Lincoln were disappointing for me so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ice age 4: continental drift (Powell)

Quickest way to a certain migraine
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - snow white and the huntsman.

A friend of mine who hates fantasy, sci fi etc. was dragged to this by his fiancée recently. He was trying to remember the title when we met on Friday, and he said something like "SNOWMAN AND WHATSHISFACE". That made me chuckle.

I didn't like the film at all, but the score had its moments. Especially for the royal scenes. But the pounding drums didn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.