• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite- Joe Hisaishi

Stunning score!

One of the best themes ever composed!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote

Stunning score!

cool

I never quite thought about it in terms that high but it is a very enjoyable score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

Stunning score!

cool

I never quite thought about it in terms that high but it is a very enjoyable score.

Is very high for me, I consider Joe Hisaishi to be a genius, I can connect with almost everything that he compose. His melodies goes straight to my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

Stunning score!

cool

He is very high for me, I consider Joe Hisaishi to be a genius, I can connect with almost everything that he compose. His melodies goes straight to my heart.
  1. I prefer the original score album to the symphonic re-recording somehow, but I am not a fan of re-recordings in general.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I prefer the original score album to the symphonic re-recording somehow, but I am not a fan of re-recordings in general.

It can depend a lot on what your first experience with an album was. Having bought soundtracks since the 1970's I was often taken by surprise that a film score sounded very different to an album I had, for example I had the LP of DAMIEN : OMEN II before I'd seen the film and couldn't help wondering why the score in the film sounded different to what I had on the album.

I still far more prefer Goldsmith's rerecorded album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I prefer the original score album to the symphonic re-recording somehow, but I am not a fan of re-recordings in general.

I prefer the Symphonic Suite album because I like suites, I consider to be a better listening experience.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Oh and Tim, have you played ST:TMP Deluxe yet?

Yes I did ( on Friday....I couldn't wait until Saturday like I'd said ), stunning, better sound, great extras, what more can I say? It's been in my all time top 10 scores since 1979.

p.s. I haven't played the 3rd disc yet and I bi-passed the original 1979 representation from the LP.

OMG ! I'm so sorry for doubting that Jerry's masterpiece would blow me away.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

I'm now listening to the new release and it does blow me away (to the point it almost hurts)... The sound quality... what can I say... I'm hearing details I've never noticed before in the sound design. The alien textures and the blaster beam are fantastic and the dynamic range of every single cue has been improved immensely. What a remastering job !!!! Jerry has created such an incredible sound for this film. So rich, so alienating, so invigorating, so detailed, so masterful. I wasn't sure if the new presentation would give me a new look on the music, but it does. And I will now order this as soon as friggin' possible. punk

I was convinced by the end of track 5 (The Enterprise). beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. haha, good to hear that smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Gilles, your enthusiasm has decided my listening for later: CDs in the player rather than mp3s on the 'puter, starting off with album playlist, then score tracks and, perhaps, alternates. NO Shaun Cassidy (if that's who does the song.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    I had no interest in the new version of ST: TMP, but I've wanted to go through my STAR TREK CD's recently (all the films as well as a CD of the tv music -- the 30th anniv. disc) for some time now. Maybe now is the time, starting with the ol' Sony 2CD set (first disc anyway). Never been a Trek fan, but some of the music written for it has been excellent!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. My enthusiasm for the music to the films began to wane (relatively speaking) after Leonard Rosenman's score for the 4th film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    haha, good to hear that smile

It's time you HEAR it buddy, to HEAR excellent film music, excellent sound, exceptional talent.

Music like that simply isn't written anymore, or isn't in Hollywood's interest any more. A bloody shame. crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    My enthusiasm for the music to the films began to wane (relatively speaking) after Leonard Rosenman's score for the 4th film.

I hate that score, except for the overture which is nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa

The Angel Records release. Rozsa was the first golden age composer I really got into, but I can't even remember the last time I lsitened to any of his music. Not sure why - I find the usually very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long releases of his best scores hard to listen to from start to end, but in this compilation form it works a treat. Stunning music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Rozsa is indeed better served in smaller doses. There's so much intensity to his music. I rarely find myself returning to my ol' Rhino BEN HUR disc, for example, because I can't get through the endless grating-ness of the rowing/sea battle tracks without tearing my hair out. But at the same time, there is so much other beautiful music there. I don't think I have the right release for this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Epilogue" from King of Kings is absolutely spectacular. I had forgotten just how much so. What an incredible piece of music.
  8. Today I listened to:

Jerry Goldsmith - City Hall

The Meet is pure Goldsmith brilliance, that's true. An underrated and forgotten score.

Now:

James Newton Howard - The Village

A masterpiece.
  9. Southall wrote
    Film Scores of Miklos Rozsa

The Angel Records release. Rozsa was the first golden age composer I really got into, but I can't even remember the last time I lsitened to any of his music. Not sure why - I find the usually very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long releases of his best scores hard to listen to from start to end, but in this compilation form it works a treat. Stunning music.

I remember this view being voiced by a few of the guys who you'd think would be Rosza completists back at FMOTW. From their point of view the old LPs with a small handful of tracks from each score was the best way to absorb most composers.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Today I listened to:

Jerry Goldsmith - City Hall

The Meet is pure Goldsmith brilliance, that's true. An underrated and forgotten score.

I've said this before, but I remember in my earliest days of internet talk about film music, there was a general consensus that this score was terrible and I remember someone even saying it was the worst thing Goldsmith had ever written. I found that bizarre then, and I do now. I'm glad to read - for the first time, I believe - someone other than me say something good about it. "The Meet" is indeed a piece of brilliance - wonderful, Leonard Bernstein-inspired brilliance.
  10. I got back to this score years after my last listen and it was way better than I remembered. Way better than US Marshalls or, for that matter, Executive Decision.

I am actually quite a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith's output from the 1970s, especially what I call his "intellectual" scores, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Chinatown are among my personal favourites from the man (and the only person who seems to like the first score except me is Alan!). I haven't listened to Alien for ages (except the film music festival in Krakow which had a hearty selection from the score on one of the concerts), but I plan to get back to it soon. Star Trek: TMP goes without saying. But yeah, the more challenging scores of Goldsmith's career (and Chinatown is in parts) are the most interesting for me and after finally appreciating Chinatown (ironically, since I have the original CD of it - the recent Varese Club batch) I was just reassured of this opinion.

I went through your review of City Hall and also of Snow Falling on Cedars. We are on the same page with the Howard score as well, though I wish you mentioned my favourite piece of, I think, James Newton Howard's career (though it's fighting for the first spot with The Village's The Gravel Road), that is Can I Hold You Now? I haven't read the novel, but I do love the film. Ethan Hawke is a bit off at moments, but he redeems himself in the final scene and Youki Kudoh is not just a great actress, but also joy to watch. I do wish James Cromwell had a bit more to act, though.
  11. NP: Out of Africa (John Barry)

Sweeping, sweet and soothing.
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    I am actually quite a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith's output from the 1970s, especially what I call his "intellectual" scores, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Chinatown are among my personal favourites from the man (and the only person who seems to like the first score except me is Alan!).

Definitely a TORA TORA TORA fan in this corner too. He was knocking them out of the park all over the place back then, but that one has an extra special something (probably the theme, which is a traditional melody, not original for the film).
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    ...the theme, which is a traditional melody, not original for the film...

Any ideas on which traditional melody?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am actually quite a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith's output from the 1970s, especially what I call his "intellectual" scores, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Chinatown are among my personal favourites from the man (and the only person who seems to like the first score except me is Alan!).

Definitely a TORA TORA TORA fan in this corner too. He was knocking them out of the park all over the place back then, but that one has an extra special something (probably the theme, which is a traditional melody, not original for the film).

I think Pawel will find there's a few of us here who like the Tora! Tora! Tora! score, great film too.

14. Thanks for the information and for taking the time to put this together.
  15. Sometimes I struggle to hear variations in themes within scores and these clips confirm the struggles I sometimes have because I find it very difficult to hear any connection with Goldsmith's score - save for what appears to be the structures that seem to be common in Japanese-styled music in general.
  16. After some problems being satisfied with my sound system layout (listening to the CD through headphones where the CD is played on a DVD player and the sound is fed through a NAD amp I can't help but feel that this set up produces a (at the same time) muddy and tinny sound), I ended up with a much more satisfying listen with the mp3s on my PC (I need to sort my sound system set up one of these days) and wallowed in some great tracks from Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Some of the little-before heard tracks seem completely unrelated to what I am familiar with in this score: they sound quite different from the tracks heard on the original album. And I think that the Fred Steiner cues do seem to have a quality that is different to Goldsmith's score. In fact, Steiner's cues - to me - sound as though they have more in common with the music for the original TV series than with the movie (and that's not just related to the use of the TV theme).

Personally, all the music of their encounter with V'Ger - from "Meet V'Ger" through to "V'Ger Speaks" - amounts to some of the greatest music that Goldsmith ever composed. Melding (sorry) film scoring and SFX and blurring where one ends and the other begins, this is that part of the score that stands out as the greatest achievement. Yes, there are some outstanding tracks - e.g., "The Enterprise" & "Klingon Battle" - but the ingenuity of the previous sequence of cues is pure genius.
  17. Well, it's the same melody as this... the main theme of TORA TORA TORA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqzGk-5VQw8

Those are just 4 different orchestrations of it. Goldsmith's is much more martial and suspenseful, so the feel is very different, but the heart of the score is a traditional melody. (Which explains a little bit why it stands out in Goldsmith's canon -- it's not fully him.)
    It's like the Japanese equivalent of that melody that pops up in Holst's 'Jupiter' and Elgar's 'England my country'.