• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    NP: THE PAPER CHASE (John Williams)

A JW score that isn't often talked about. Love the Telemann arrangements, and the funky 70's cues with hammond organ, brass, harpschicord, you name it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    first listen PATRICK DOYLE'S "Brave"

Make those pipes stop!

Ah, but that's part of what makes BRAVE oh so good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - snow white and the huntsman.

A friend of mine who hates fantasy, sci fi etc. was dragged to this by his fiancée recently. He was trying to remember the title when we met on Friday, and he said something like "SNOWMAN AND WHATSHISFACE". That made me chuckle.

I didn't like the film at all, but the score had its moments. Especially for the royal scenes. But the pounding drums didn't do much for me.

There's a lot of emotional and melodic material on calmer moments, especially the elves land thingy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    first listen PATRICK DOYLE'S "Brave"

Make those pipes stop!

Ah, but that's part of what makes BRAVE oh so good!

-Erik-

Well indeed it's a love it or hate situation smile
  1. Alexandre Desplat - Lust, Caution

My favourite Desplat score. Wong Chia Chi's theme is just amazing and the way Desplat orchestrates the whole atmosphere and how carefully he keeps to it is another highlight.

I earlier listened to Marianelli's Atonement, first time in years and it's an amazing score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - Lust, Caution

My favourite Desplat score. Wong Chia Chi's theme is just amazing and the way Desplat orchestrates the whole atmosphere and how carefully he keeps to it is another highlight.

I earlier listened to Marianelli's Atonement, first time in years and it's an amazing score.

I don't think I've got a favourite Desplat score? Lust, Caution would have to be a contender though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

One of the best scores EVER! sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. REGARDING HENRY - HANS ZIMMER

You may call the way Hans wrote this score cheesy as hell.

But not me... Love this one, love that he used to write in such pure melodic fashion, unlike now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I don't think I've got a favourite Desplat score? Lust, Caution would have to be a contender though.

I own only two Desplat scores (this one and New Moon). I'd love to own Tree of Life as well, in fact, my intent is to own all possible Terrence Malick albums. I don't have only Tree of life and The New World.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Oh man, the track The Welcoming is just so damned joyful and exuberant I just had to skip back and play it a second time. Just soooooooo fooking brilliant!

love punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Same here.

JAMES HORNER - the four flying horsemen

Amazing.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote

Yes.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    REGARDING HENRY - HANS ZIMMER

But not me... Love this one, love that he used to write in such pure melodic fashion, unlike now.

actually. I remember I wasn't that fond of the sound of this one. Then again, It's been ages I've listened to this. So, I need to listen to this one again.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. The Journey of Natty Gann Bernstein

Wow, really enjoying this, I've had this since it came out but barely listened to it.
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

actually. I remember I wasn't that fond of the sound of this one. Then again, It's been ages I've listened to this. So, I need to listen to this one again.

Not a big fan of those early synth scores by Hans with notable exceptions (Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, Driving Miss Daisy) and with Regarding Henry it doesn't help that the Delerue rejection is so much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Fly II - Christopher Young

Moments of outstanding beauty next to those of horrific dissonant ferocity. A little derivative of his Hellraiser scores but a nicely balanced listen on album.
  8. Demetris wrote
    JAMES HORNER - the four flying horsemen

Amazing.

It really is! This is top Horner like in the good old days.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Not a big fan of those early synth scores by Hans with notable exceptions (Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, Driving Miss Daisy) and with Regarding Henry it doesn't help that the Delerue rejection is so much better.

Well Regarding may be synth mostly but it has melody, and quite an emotional core too. At least I think so. I've always responded very emotionally to this music.
  10. Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Fly II - Christopher Young

Moments of outstanding beauty next to those of horrific dissonant ferocity. A little derivative of his Hellraiser scores but a nicely balanced listen on album.

Hell yes! I am a fan too. Another one that has some emotional value.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh man, the track The Welcoming is just so damned joyful and exuberant I just had to skip back and play it a second time. Just soooooooo fooking brilliant!

love punk

A stunning score! My favourite western soundtrack. And The Welcoming is so much fun. I get a rush every time I hear it! I must put it on later today!

Oh and Tim, have you played ST:TMP Deluxe yet?
  11. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a stunner. Certainly one of the best films he's scored.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

love punk

A stunning score! My favourite western soundtrack. And The Welcoming is so much fun. I get a rush every time I hear it! I must put it on later today!

Oh and Tim, have you played ST:TMP Deluxe yet?

Yes I did ( on Friday....I couldn't wait until Saturday like I'd said ), stunning, better sound, great extras, what more can I say? It's been in my all time top 10 scores since 1979.

p.s. I haven't played the 3rd disc yet and I bi-passed the original 1979 representation from the LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: BRAVE - PATRICK DOYLE

First listen....

Wow.

I'm liking this a lot. A lot.
  12. BLACK GOLD - JAMES HORNER

I still haven't heard Spiderman, in the meantime this will do very nicely. The score has grown on me a lot, to the point I can now say it's really a great effort by the man. I don't mind the quoting at all, I've learned to look past them. As long as the melodies are striking and memorable I couldn't be happier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    BLACK GOLD - JAMES HORNER

I still haven't heard Spiderman, in the meantime this will do very nicely. The score has grown on me a lot, to the point I can now say it's really a great effort by the man. I don't mind the quoting at all, I've learned to look past them. As long as the melodies are striking and memorable I couldn't be happier.

Easily the year's best score along with John Carter; so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Adventures of Don Juan / Arsenic and Old Lace - Max Steiner

shocked

As of right now, the very best film music release of the year (With Star Trek: The Motion Picture not to far behind.) The recording is brilliant - crisp and clean - featuring an energetic and inspired performance by The Moscow Symphony. Spot on conducting by William Stromberg. Mind-blowing liner notes (it's a mini book - so much information) and art work. Jim Titus is a friggin' genius!

IMO, this is an essential purchase for any serious film music fan! Oh yeah, the music. It's down right fantastic. Steiner doing his best Korngold impression! I haven't got to Arsenic yet... and this will be my first introduction to the score.

-Erik-

Just getting through it all now. You are spot on Erik! Wow! This is an amazing release! Pure GOLD! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (John Williams)

Don't know...never really cared for this as an album. Too much suspense and sneaking-around stuff, with tremolo strings and brass etc. But I like the love theme and the source music, dated as it may be. The main theme is OK too.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL - GIACCHINO

As with M:I III the action and suspense music does very little for me. It's all based around the same principle of modern Giacchino writing, all repetive rhythm-based but no clear melody to hold on to. He did a better job for John Carter IMO. It doesn't help either that the album is too long and stylistically all over the place. The India music is horrible and the action pieces in those segments mind-numbingly dull. sad

The russian theme in the beginning is great though, essentially the only piece of original music that stands out in a big way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Don't know...never really cared for this as an album. Too much suspense and sneaking-around stuff, with tremolo strings and brass etc. But I like the love theme and the source music, dated as it may be. The main theme is OK too.

Oh I love that main title/end theme, have done ever since I first saw the film (and was annoyed that there was no soundtrack release). I agree with you on the rest of the score which is listenable but doesn't really go anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh I love that main title/end theme, have done ever since I first saw the film (and was annoyed that there was no soundtrack release). I agree with you on the rest of the score which is listenable but doesn't really go anywhere.

Interestingly (or not), I saw the movie many years before I became aware of film music and soundtracks and John Williams. I remember seeing it at my grandparents place, because they had Swedish TV (which was a big deal back in the mid 80's, as we only had one tv channel in Norway), and they showed it there. I remember that it stuck with me at the time (mostly the disaster film genre, which I loved).
    I am extremely serious.