• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    Well, press stop on your CD player, take out the Battleship CD and place in disc one of Star Trek.
    I'm sure you you regret it Tim! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Well, press stop on your CD player, take out the Battleship CD and place in disc one of Star Trek.
    I'm sure you you regret it Tim! wink

Darn it you sussed me out, I've been playing Battleship on a loop for weeks on end now biggrin wink

I'm saving Star Trek until Saturday when I'll play it bold and loud on the stereo with no headphones. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012 edited
    So what is the better score now, I'm still not convinced. sad
    Battleship or Star Trek ?
    Boy o boy, what a dilemma !!! crazy
    I can only order one of these two.
    I presume you guys are going to convince me to get Battleship, because of the vastly superior electronics. lick
    Aaahh, screw melodies, who needs them?
    I'll get Battleship then, it seems popular here. beer

Thanks. cool

Update: Obviously the above is all a bunch of bullshit.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN (James Horner)

Gotta love the Elfman vibes in the main theme (it's the closest Horner has been his colleague since CASPER), but there's some great things here that have nothing whatsoever to do with him too. Love those Glass-ian, repetitive structures. It's more intimate and far more melodic than Elfman's SPIDEY score, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

Enough time has passed that my enjoyment of this album is no longer sullied by the foul memory of the sheer ineptitude of this music as a film score. And that's great news, because when all association with the film is removed, it's very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Enough time has passed that my enjoyment of this album is no longer sullied by the foul memory of the sheer ineptitude of this music as a film score. And that's great news, because when all association with the film is removed, it's very good.

I actually liked the film quite a lot, but the score is pure bliss and has stayed with me far longer than the film ever did.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

I actually liked the film quite a lot....

Oh no. So much good work undone in a second. shocked crazy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. To me in the rather weak and boring thriller (No, Mr. Howard, three people talking about history in a house does NOT make for a suspenseful thriller) except the final setpiece that is Chevaliers de Sangreal, generally The Da Vinci Code is one of the worst Hans scores as heard in film.

I love the album featuring some of the most orchestrally compelling and complex work of his entire career.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I actually liked the film quite a lot, but the score is pure bliss and has stayed with me far longer than the film ever did.

I think it's one of his finest albums but one of his worst scores. I often watch films and fail to see what the music's adding to them, but it's rare that I watch a film and think the score really makes it worse. This is a prime example of such a film. I'd probably have found it to be a bit of a turd with any score, but with this one it's a whole pile of the stuff.
  3. NP: Swept from the Sea (John Barry)

Every time I hear something from this young composer, I wonder why he isn't working more. I really think there's value in the way he uses long-lined themes are storytelling devices in narrative features.
  4. HORTON HEARS A WHO - John Powell.

A bit too all-over-the-place for me. There are a few tracks that I enjoy, but I like most of his other scores for animations more than this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Swept from the Sea (John Barry)

Every time I hear something from this young composer, I wonder why he isn't working more. I really think there's value in the way he uses long-lined themes are storytelling devices in narrative features.

I certainly hope to hear more from him in future.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    HORTON HEARS A WHO - John Powell.

A bit too all-over-the-place for me. There are a few tracks that I enjoy, but I like most of his other scores for animations more than this one.

I think HORTON is a spectacular score. Right up there with the other great family adventure comedy scores he has composed. The film on the other hand is awful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Adventures of Don Juan / Arsenic and Old Lace - Max Steiner

shocked

As of right now, the very best film music release of the year (With Star Trek: The Motion Picture not to far behind.) The recording is brilliant - crisp and clean - featuring an energetic and inspired performance by The Moscow Symphony. Spot on conducting by William Stromberg. Mind-blowing liner notes (it's a mini book - so much information) and art work. Jim Titus is a friggin' genius!

IMO, this is an essential purchase for any serious film music fan! Oh yeah, the music. It's down right fantastic. Steiner doing his best Korngold impression! I haven't got to Arsenic yet... and this will be my first introduction to the score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. It's great that they have nailed yet another score. But there's far to much swash-and-buckling, full-on stuff for my liking with this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited
    Oh but it's not full on swash and buckle. There's lots of down time including any cue with that GORGEOUS love theme. This score is nicely balanced.

-Erik-
  6. It's difficult to base a purchase on a score I am unfamiliar with and all I have to go on are a few clips and my experience of other Steiner scores (as well as Korngold!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Max Steiner drives me nuts!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. So I am not the only member of this board who doesn't really enjoy Korngold's music?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    So I am not the only member of this board who doesn't really enjoy Korngold's music?

Korngold's music something I have to approach on a case-by-case basis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

This isn't a typical Steiner score. Like I said it's very Korngoldian and for very good reason.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

This isn't a typical Steiner score. Like I said it's very Korngoldian and for very good reason.

-Erik-

Korngoldian is better, granted.

Waxman is my favourite Golden Ager.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Korngoldian is better, granted.

Waxman is my favourite Golden Ager.

I like most of them but I'd also go for Waxman and also Hugo Friedhofer and also Bernard Herrmann and also Alfred Newman and also Miklos Rozsa.............

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - John Williams

Fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    THE PEACEMAKER - HANS ZIMMER

Or the final part of the 'Play it louder than possible and risk blowing up your speakers' trilogy. cheesy

Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker are the Zimmers I put on whenever I want something that is loud, well constructed, satisfying, and full of addictive action motifs that I deeply miss in his scores nowadays.

You can rolleyes all you want, this is my kind of action music, and I don't feel ashamed by claiming that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

First listen...

It's Ok. Nothing truly remarkable. Lots of electronics... probably due to heavy temping with Elfman's previous scores. <-- That's an uninformed guess by the way but too much of a coincidence not to be true. Horner is really doing a lot of electronic experimentation in his most recent scores. This isn't a bad thing I just don't particularly like it especially in this score.

Doc Ock's 8-note motif (slightly altered) makes an appearance in "Lizard at School!" Strange to say the least.

The whole mathematics motif is sprinkled throughout the score and doesn't really interest me. Neither do the twinkling pianos. The action music doesn't really excite. Again, a lot it seems based off of Elfman's wondrous style that he employed when writing his score. Long lined theme with wordless choir.

This all seems rather negative but I do love that main theme.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The main theme seems modelled on Elfman's theme, but I actually found several interesting things in Horner's score. It's far more melodydriven, with far less counterpoint, that's for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tours du Monde, Tours du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Words can't describe the beauty of this.

Here is a video of some film music fans reacting to hearing it for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYP_lNQwgM
  9. I reckon Horner's SPIDERMAN, mind you, I've only listened to half of it on youtube, is really good actually. Nice to hear a relatively new approach (ironically an old one, even 90's scoring is novel now) to scoring the only films that seem to get made anymore.

(EDIT -- Having listened to the rest... ok, it's overall very good, but probably not absolutely smashingly great.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Tours du Monde, Tours du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Words can't describe the beauty of this.

Here is a video of some film music fans reacting to hearing it for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYP_lNQwgM

Best RickRoll of all time. Thank you.

I ended up listening to the Delerue track via youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRkDawcsp8