• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Playing By Heart - John Barry

One of his very best. An absolutely sumptuous listening experience.

An excellent late evening listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    NP: Safe House - Ramin Djawadi

Very enjoyable score. The movie was equally as good and the score worked well. I was a bit iffy about this score when I first listened to it, but seeing the movie really turned me into really liking it.
  1. Southall wrote
    Whispers In the Dark - Thomas Newman

Early Thomas Newman, orchestral, noirish. Very good. One of the themes from Angels in America is in here.

Are you saying Newman recycled himself? Horrors!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    Observing the fact and complaining about it are two very different things.
  2. NP: The Village (James Newton Howard)

One of the peak scores of its decade. I wouldn't mind seeing the film again actually, as I suspect it's starting to look pretty good as the Marvelization, Trilogisation and Prequelization of Hollywood nears completion. Very moving music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    There Be Dragons - Robert Folk

Wow, this is very good!

cool
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown

This brilliant release was in the mail today. Intelligent score, amazing theme, what also can you want? And some jazz standards to boot. Liner notes by Robert Townson are very good, better than what he wrote for Lonely Are the Brave, I'd say.

Glad to own it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown

This brilliant release was in the mail today. Intelligent score, amazing theme, what also can you want? And some jazz standards to boot. Liner notes by Robert Townson are very good, better than what he wrote for Lonely Are the Brave, I'd say.

Glad to own it.

A great album that never outstays it's welcome and that includes the period tracks that are an utter joy too.

A 10/10 album for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brave - Patrick Doyle

Bagpipes everywhere. Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Brave - Patrick Doyle

And now Billy Connolly's singing!
  4. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown

Glad to own it.

A great album that never outstays it's welcome and that includes the period tracks that are an utter joy too.

A 10/10 album for me.

The short time of the album really helps, it's very well-rounded. Except the classic theme, my favourite moment of the score itself is The Last of Ida, a brilliant suspense-to-action score.

The story behind the score is fascinating in itself and while a friend of mine did tell me most of it (I still haven't heard Lambro's rejected work, but that friend said it's total crap that misunderstood the whole *point* of the movie), the liner notes wrap it up very nicely.
  5. NP: The Beat My Heart Skipped (Desplat)

A stunner. For me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    NP: Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

I've had this album in my digital collection since 2004. I've had the physical album for even longer than that but this is the first time in probably 10 years that I've given the entire album a "spin." shame I will never neglect this masterpiece ever again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    Troy - James Horner

The film may be a misguided attempt at crafting an old-fashioned epic, but there is little that is misguided about the score, which is remarkably coherent and enjoyable considering it was written in two and a half hours or whatever it was. I'm sure it would be far more highly-regarded if it hadn't replaced such a beloved rejected score.
  6. For all my annoyance at the 4 note motif at the time, if he'd only ever used it in that score, that would have been the right one.
  7. I'd say rather Enemy at the Gates, but it does work well as purely rhythmic device here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    The best use of the four note danger motif is in Star Trek II and Willow!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

When it still sounded fresh(ish) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd say rather Enemy at the Gates, but it does work well as purely rhythmic device here.

More appropriate in that film I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  8. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

When it still sounded fresh(ish) wink

Yeah, but someone now won't necessarily play them in that order. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Madagascar 3 - Hans Zimmer

Soul-destroyingly awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Madagascar 3 - Hans Zimmer

Soul-destroyingly awful.

Encouraging.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Well, all the reviewers hated Madagascar 1 and 2 as well, and I loved the score on those, even though there wasn't much. I think combining the score from Madagascar 3 with the score from the two other movies, I'll have compiled the ultimate album in enjoyability.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Brave - Patrick Doyle

This is a GOOD thing! punk

Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Brave - Patrick Doyle

And now Billy Connolly's singing!

This is not. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    NP : THE GODFATHER II - Nino Rota

Superb score to one of the best films ever made, sublime!
  9. The Immigrant theme is a masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is!
  10. PROMETHEUS

Can't say I'm enjoying the album... very low key, some very dull cues, Goldenthal-esque horror (but nowhere near Elliot's golden touch) and only a couple of memorable moments, essentially those featuring the Gregson-Williams theme. The music is better presented in the film IMO. Not sure if I want to revisit the album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed. I had the exact same reaction.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn