• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012
    War Goddess - Riz Ortolani

Crikey me, this is spectacular. Very pleased with my new purchases from Quartet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Independence Day David Arnold

May not be everyone's idea of a truly great score (even though it has its fans), but I can't think of any other score that I enjoy more than this one - only ones I enjoy as much. In fact, it's rather meaningful to me, just as much as something like ET. Perhaps an odd thing to say about a score like this, but I must admit it's served me well over the years!

It is a truly great score. Period. The LaLaLand complete score is a treasure.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012 edited
    I had a great desire to play JG's STAR TREK TMP but I'm going to hold out and wait until I get the new deluxe release, in the meantime....

NP : THE ROBE - Alfred Newman

Now THIS is what a truly great score is!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ATLANTIS THE LOST EMPIRE - James Newton Howard

Listening to it these days I find it hard to imagine why I didn't like it when I bought it originally, I think it was Steven or Erik who suggested giving a few particular tracks another shot and I'm glad for it because this is a mighty fine score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    beer punk wave
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Listening to it these days I find it hard to imagine why I didn't like it when I bought it originally, I think it was Steven or Erik who suggested giving a few particular tracks another shot and I'm glad for it because this is a mighty fine score.

The 'Crystal Chamber' cue is gorgeous. Other than that, I was a bit disappointed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Atlantis is superb!

NP: Children of Dune - Brian Tyler

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

The 'Crystal Chamber' cue is gorgeous. Other than that, I was a bit disappointed.

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm shocked that Thor can still shocked you Erik wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

"The king dies/Going after Rourke" is a disappointment? I worship this track.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of his animated scores, I prefer DINOSAUR.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Of his animated scores, I prefer DINOSAUR.

Easily the best!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (and even it's not all that great)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly. Again with the single centerpiece track ("The Egg Travels") while some of the other tracks pale a bit. But overall more rewarding than ATLANTIS, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    (and even it's not all that great)

Zuba-huh? shocked Howard's trilogy of scores for Disney are absolutely mind-blowing! Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet are among some of the best adventure scores written by the composer!

-Erik-
  1. That puts their excellence thoroughly within a relative scale of quality. (If they are his best, they are only as good as he achieved.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012
    I loved "The Egg Travels". I listen to Dinosaur occasionally because of it, always forgetting that nothing else in it is nearly as good. I never listen to the other two - but perhaps it's time to give them another go. I've always thought it's a shame that when Disney decided to try out doing non-musicals, they didn't choose a composer who was a bit, well, better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Southall wrote
    I loved "The Egg Travels". I listen to Dinosaur occasionally because of it, always forgetting that nothing else in it is nearly as good. I never listen to the other two - but perhaps it's time to give them another go. I've always thought it's a shame that when Disney decided to try out doing non-musicals, they didn't choose a composer who was a bit, well, better.

What???????
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote
    Southall wrote

What???????

Double WHAT?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atlantis - James Newton Howard

You can't accuse me of not giving things another chance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

Fantastic score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

Fantastic score!
  2. Steve Jablonsky - Transformers

Yes, I need to turn my brain off once in a while and yes, I like this one. Actually it's one of the most melodic blockbuster scores in recent ways. So what it all sounds artificial emotionally? It's melodic action music, very derivative, but to me works better to turn my brain off than anything by Brian Tyler.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Certainly, Jablonsky for me too is quicker and more efficient in turning my brain off than Brian Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steve Jablonsky - Transformers

Yes, I need to turn my brain off once in a while and yes, I like this one. Actually it's one of the most melodic blockbuster scores in recent ways. So what it all sounds artificial emotionally? It's melodic action music, very derivative, but to me works better to turn my brain off than anything by Brian Tyler.

It's an excellent score, Jablonsky's best. Lots of power anthems and just enjoyable all around. Even the Thomas Newman pastiche in "Sam at the Lake" is entertaining.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    It's an excellent score, Jablonsky's best.

I agree with the second part of your sentence.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    jablonsky's music is the perfect score for Transformers. and this fact makes it an excellent score for me.

Transfomers needed this kind of filmmusic. it needed these bombastic anthems and simplistic actionmusic. its straight in the face music, that makes the look of the movie and the feeling of the stylish action scenes more intense. for me it makes these scenes COOL. nobody else than the RCP crew can compose this kind of COOL power anthem actionmusic, that bay and bruckheimer productions need.

in this case it's not important, how the music is composed. it's important, what the music does with the pictures and what this combination does to the audience. when optimus prime comes to the rescue to save the day with jablonsky's bombastic and heroic music in the backround it gets the audience excited and makes them smile. because that it is, what the scene wants from the audience.

another example is the Arrival To Earth scene. the look and the content of the scene and steve's music with this very heroic theme makes the audience just think WOW, AWESOME. and it is. steve did a great job with his score.