• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Sauce Code Chris P. Bacon

I would comment, but I'm afraid to egg you on.

We should meat up. (No bun intended.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

You should be shot to death with a big gun.

(no pun bothered with)
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

You should be shot to death with a big gun.

applause (for the three of you)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To be fair, all these food-based puns have fried my brain.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    BATMAN - Danny Elfman

"Finale" is still my favorite piece of music from Elfman, and it was one of the first films he ever scored!

Well, he HAD done 14 things before that -- 3 TV shows and 11 movies -- but yeah.....still impressive, I agree!

Wow. I didn't realize he had so many films by then. I was under the impression that Pee Wee was his first film and Batman his second. Still, considering how many films he has scored since then, can't this still count as one of the first? smile

According to IMDB, it was his second film score, the first being "The Forbidden Zone". All the rest were films where he did songs, or songs were used. And no TV show scoring listed before that. You're closer than Thor.

Sorry, Justin, but here are his SCORE efforts prior to BATMAN (not including the films for which he only wrote songs or where Boingo songs were featured):

1980/1981 - FORBIDDEN ZONE
    1985 - PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
    1986 - ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (TV)
    1986 - BACK TO SCHOOL
    1987 - WISDOM
    1985-1987 - AMAZING STORIES (TV)
    1987 - SUMMER SCHOOL
    1986-1987 - PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE (TV)
    1988 - BEETLEJUICE
    1988 - HOT TO TROT
    1988 - MIDNIGHT RUN
    1988 - BIG TOP PEE WEE
    1988 - SCROOGED
    1988 - FACE LIKE A FROG (ANIMATED SHORT)

But perhaps you misread christopher as playing PEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, not BATMAN.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Snow White and The Huntsman - James Newton Howard

I am finding this a very strong album. I like the sound of the action scoring - pounding rhythm-based many of them - but it's the least-JNH sounding part of the score. JNH's "sound" comes through in the slower, more emotional part of the score. (I Am Legend)

JNH's style isn't the easiest for me to "get", particularly with his more action-oriented music so I am not sure whether the action scoring is very JNH-like but I get the impression that the action scoring could have been penned by any of a number of composers.

I am hearing a number of Narnia/HGW reminders sometimes and the solo horn passage at the beginning doesn't half remind me of Shore's Gondor theme off Lord of The Rings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Snow White and The Huntsman - James Newton Howard

First listen.

The first cue is classic JNH magic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman - JNH

Not bad!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Not bad!

Best review I've read so far.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. GLADIATOR - HANS ZIMMER & LISA GERRARD

Wonderful! One of Zimmer's best. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. RUDY - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Wonderful! One of Zimm... I'm mean Jerry's best. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Southall wrote

Not bad!

how come everybody heard this already?

gonna check it out in the film first, then gonna listen to the CD
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    how come everybody heard this already?

For me at least, a digital download off iTunes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012 edited
    Currently spinning CONQUEST 1453 by Benjamin Wallfisch. I'm two tracks in and there are two thing that have turned me off immediately. First, the theme. It's heavily influenced by Vangelis' theme from 1492: CONQEUST OF PARADISE. I guess that makes sense... the word Conquest is in both titles and both films take place in the 15th century. rolleyes Secondly, track 2 is littered with off putting electronics, techno elements and rock guitars! Is this a Bourne film or an large scale historical epic? I can't tell. Ugh! angry

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds interesting to me. I'll check out the sound samples.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Currently spinning CONQUEST 1453 by Benjamin Wallfisch. I'm two tracks in and there are two thing that have turned me off immediately. First, the theme. It's heavily influenced by Vangelis' theme from 1492: CONQEUST OF PARADISE. I guess that makes sense... the word Conquest is in both titles and both films take place in the 15th century. rolleyes Secondly, track 2 is littered with off putting electronics, techno elements and rock guitars! Is this a Bourne film or an large scale historical epic? I can't tell. Ugh! angry

-Erik-

You said the word "BOURNE", is this why Anthony labeled it as "awesome"? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This doesn't bring Bourne to mind at all. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13172.mp3

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IN LIKE FLINT - Jerry Goldsmith

Not the Varese original track album but the far superior original vinyl release of the re-recorded album.

I wish someone would release this coupled with OUR MAN FLINT to make a single CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE (John Williams)

Going through my HP's.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote

Not the Varese original track album but the far superior original vinyl release of the re-recorded album.

I wish someone would release this coupled with OUR MAN FLINT to make a single CD.

Aren't these Austin Powers favourite films? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Aren't these Austin Powers favourite films? tongue

They are influential, yes! Your point being?
  7. NP: Mission to Mars (Morricone)

I think what's interesting about this score:
    - even 10 years later, it still doesn't sound typical for its genre. A lot more expressive, romantic, new age, and at times unnerving than most other commercial sci-fi films.
    - ... nor was it particularly typical for Morricone. It doesn't have me reeling off a list of previous scores by him of which it reminded me. This was novel for him, I think, and after several hundred scores, that's impressive.
    - if you love it, you love it, and you know why. But if you don't get it, it just doesn't quite connect and the love of others remains mysterious.

'Where?' is a stunning finish.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I think you nailed it there. Mission to Mars is so unique, strange and beautiful.
    I'm ashamed to confess it's been over 3 years since I last played it despite how much I appreciate it!
    I will have to rectify that later today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13172.mp3

crazy

-Erik-

Sounds like a really modern action thriller score. Not really a Bourne score in sound.
  8. Atham wrote
    I think you nailed it there. Mission to Mars is so unique, strange and beautiful.
    I'm ashamed to confess it's been over 3 years since I last played it despite how much I appreciate it!
    I will have to rectify that later today!

Good to hear. smile

NP: 'The Heroic Weather: Conditions of the Universe' (Desplat)
    The suite written for Moonrise Kingdom. Better to approach it as '4 variations on a theme' rather than think of it as a score. Quite dapper, playful music. The 'guide to orchestration' track is a nice touch. A piece that manages to be itself and talk about itself at the same time is rare. Small, but likeable.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mission to Mars (Morricone)

- ... nor was it particularly typical for Morricone. It doesn't have me reeling off a list of previous scores by him of which it reminded me. This was novel for him, I think, and after several hundred scores, that's impressive.

I suspect he put an awful lot into this one - the music certainly suggests so. And the reaction to the film, and the music in particular, must have hurt him a lot. He hasn't scored an American film since, has he? I guess that may not be through his own choice, but still.
  9. GODZILLA - DAVID ARNOLD

A score as towering and awesome as the great beast itself, and a hell of a lot more fun too !! punk

Screw Hollywood for completely forgetting about Mr. Arnold's talent and instead going for far less talented composers for summer blockbusters. crazy

I'm wondering if he could still write something like this, ID4 or Stargate when given the opportunity.