• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Atham wrote
    I think you nailed it there. Mission to Mars is so unique, strange and beautiful.
    I'm ashamed to confess it's been over 3 years since I last played it despite how much I appreciate it!
    I will have to rectify that later today!

It is a very worthwhile score, next time I'm going to listen in the order of the film instead of the album, which is completely out of order.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mission to Mars (Morricone)

- ... nor was it particularly typical for Morricone. It doesn't have me reeling off a list of previous scores by him of which it reminded me. This was novel for him, I think, and after several hundred scores, that's impressive.

I suspect he put an awful lot into this one - the music certainly suggests so. And the reaction to the film, and the music in particular, must have hurt him a lot. He hasn't scored an American film since, has he? I guess that may not be through his own choice, but still.

It is one of my most played Morricone scores and I loved it right from my very first listen, he really is a genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mission to Mars (Morricone)

- ... nor was it particularly typical for Morricone. It doesn't have me reeling off a list of previous scores by him of which it reminded me. This was novel for him, I think, and after several hundred scores, that's impressive.

I suspect he put an awful lot into this one - the music certainly suggests so. And the reaction to the film, and the music in particular, must have hurt him a lot. He hasn't scored an American film since, has he? I guess that may not be through his own choice, but still.

It is one of my most played Morricone scores and I loved it right from my very first listen, he really is a genius.

Franz-> beer
    Atham-> beer
    James-> beer
    Gilles -> beer
    Tim-> beer

I adore this score too. Also strangely villified though. But I guess eliciting strong reactions is what great art is all about.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    This doesn't bring Bourne to mind at all. wink

http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13172.mp3

crazy

-Erik-

Sounds like a really modern action thriller score. Not really a Bourne score in sound.

And the Bourne scores AREN'T modern action thriller scores?

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. JAMES HORNER FAVOURITE CUES

So I did what I did with Goldsmith a while back. Take all my scores from the man (from his early days right up to his latest, pick one cue that is for the most brilliant, exciting, stunning, what have you and make a playlist out of those, so far 6 hours of music (65 cues). It plays as one huge 'Best of' compilation that effortlessly wipes the floor with all other Horner compilations out there. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    This doesn't bring Bourne to mind at all. wink

http://www.screenarchives.com/media/17533-13172.mp3

crazy

-Erik-

Sounds like a really modern action thriller score. Not really a Bourne score in sound.

And the Bourne scores AREN'T modern action thriller scores?

confused

-Erik-

Yes, in a way. I thought you were referring to the Bourne sound as it was specifically written by John Powell, not as part of the modern action thriller genre.
    There's a difference. Bourne scores = modern action thriller score. Modern action thriller genre != Bourne scores. To my ear, they're mutually exclusive. I consider JNH's Salt to be a modern action thriller score with a heavy Bourne influence. I consider Henry Jackman's Man on a Ledge to be a modern action thriller score, just like Ramin Djawadi's Safe House score is in the same genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GODZILLA - DAVID ARNOLD

A score as towering and awesome as the great beast itself, and a hell of a lot more fun too !!

Screw Hollywood for completely forgetting about Mr. Arnold's talent and instead going for far less talented composers for summer blockbusters.

I'm wondering if he could still write something like this, ID4 or Stargate when given the opportunity.

I absolutely love that score, but I can't listen to it in its 2CD release. In fact, I sold it just a few weeks after having bought it, then reacquiring the promo release. It's one of those scores that work like gangbusters in its album presentation, but makes me want to tear my hair out in frustration in expanded format.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Godzilla is a score that works like gangbusters in its complete form but makes want me to tear my hair out in frustration when listening to the promo due to the fact that so much great music is missing that helps flesh out the listening experience.

tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Godzilla is a score that works like gangbusters in its complete form but makes want me to tear my hair out in frustration when listening to the promo due to the fact that so much great music is missing that helps flesh out the listening experience.

tongue

-Erik-

For Odin!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I would have been extremely frustrated if all those fine scores we now have expanded albums of would never have gotten the expanded treatment. Thank god for the record companies to have done that for us score fans in between all the mediocrity we've been getting over the recent years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I would have been extremely frustrated if all those fine scores we now have expanded albums of would never have gotten the expanded treatment. Thank god for the record companies to have done that for us score fans in between all the mediocrity we've been getting over the recent years.

I agree to a point. Thor also does have a point in saying that the Godzilla promo plays extremely well. The major highlights and set pieces are ALL there.

-Erik-

PS - I LOVE your response, Thor! lol

:whip:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YELLOW SUBMARINE - The Beatles & George Martin

A great album, wonderful songs and a very fine selection of Martin's score too, an album that puts a smile on my face. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I would have been extremely frustrated if all those fine scores we now have expanded albums of would never have gotten the expanded treatment. Thank god for the record companies to have done that for us score fans in between all the mediocrity we've been getting over the recent years.

I agree to a point. Thor also does have a point in saying that the Godzilla promo plays extremely well. The major highlights and set pieces are ALL there.

-Erik-

They aren't ALL there, otherwise we wouldn't be here talking about the advantages of expansions and defending them with all our might against Thor, now would we? wink

For the record, in case it wasn't clear the first time:

Godzilla promo = FUN

Godzilla Lalaland expanded release = HOTDIGGIDYDAMMOTHAFREAKINFUNALLTHEWAY
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Like Thor, I gave the promo away when I got the full score release. Stupid, stupid move. Haven't listened to it since the week I got it. Can I recreate the promo from tracks on the full score album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Like Thor, I gave the promo away when I got the full score release. Stupid, stupid move. Haven't listened to it since the week I got it. Can I recreate the promo from tracks on the full score album?

I think so, but I never tried it. More convenient to get the album, ready to go, on the promo. You press play and it plays out without any sort of programming.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I think so, but I never tried it. More convenient to get the album, ready to go, on the promo. You press play and it plays out without any sort of programming.

Definitely easier but I guess it isn't that easy to find.
  4. SATURN 3 - ELMER BERNSTEIN

So here I was during the 80s, a young kid obsessed with music, pop music at the time, and I was just starting to get interested in movies and occasionally the music in them would stand out, even though I wasn't in the understanding that a bunch of people had contributed that music in the film. I didn't know what a composer was, let alone that an orchestra gave life to the composer's writing. So I was a kid when I saw this film and it sure made an impression, for the (now dated) effects, the space setting, and the Bernstein music, the theme for Hector the robot being the one that I recall the best. It must've been one of the first examples of themes sticking in my head ever since that initial viewing. Many years later I could still recall those themes without making an effort. So I waited and waited, and I bought many scores, none by Bernstein however, because I didn't really know this composer's music at all, besides Saturn 3 and Ghostbusters. And finally in 2006 Intrada released it and I didn't think twice about ordering it. I still don't have many Bernstein scores, but this is one I'll treasure until the day I die, for being one that planted the seeds for my current musical tastes. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    SATURN 3 - ELMER BERNSTEIN

So here I was during the 80s, a young kid obsessed with music, pop music at the time, and I was just starting to get interested in movies and occasionally the music in them would stand out, even though I wasn't in the understanding that a bunch of people had contributed that music in the film. I didn't know what a composer was, let alone that an orchestra gave life to the composer's writing. So I was a kid when I saw this film and it sure made an impression, for the (now dated) effects, the space setting, and the Bernstein music, the theme for Hector the robot being the one that I recall the best. It must've been one of the first examples of themes sticking in my head ever since that initial viewing. Many years later I could still recall those themes without making an effort. So I waited and waited, and I bought many scores, none by Bernstein however, because I didn't really know this composer's music at all, besides Saturn 3 and Ghostbusters. And finally in 2006 Intrada released it and I didn't think twice about ordering it. I still don't have many Bernstein scores, but this is one I'll treasure until the day I die, for being one that planted the seeds for my current musical tastes. smile

Well, oddly enough the themes from this film stuck with me too, and I'd already been a film score fan for many years by then, I was gutted this score didn't get a release.

Anyway, I love the CD though I'd say it may be an acquired taste for many here?

And Gilles, on the subject of Bernstein's sci-fi scores I hope you have HEAVY METAL? IMO one of his very best scores and easily his best sci-fi score.

Here's one of my favourite tracks from the score...

FLIGHT

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012
    NP : HOLLOW MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

I played this last night, I'd forgotten what a darn fine score it is so I just had to play it again today, wonderful stuff with a very BASIC INSTINCT feel to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Totally off-season, I know.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Totally off-season, I know.

Nonsense! John Williams is NEVER off season.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Thematic, ethereal and wondrous, a superb sci-fi score, a score that never fails to transport me.
  5. Timmer wrote
    And Gilles, on the subject of Bernstein's sci-fi scores I hope you have HEAVY METAL? IMO one of his very best scores and easily his best sci-fi score.

Here's one of my favourite tracks from the score...

FLIGHT

cool

Oh yes I do have that one, and I like it too, though I tend to like Saturn 3 a bit more. And funny enough I discovered Taarna's theme in the 90s from a compilation 'Space & Beyond', not knowing he had used the same theme in Saturn 3. I guess I forgot about that one.

I currently have Saturn 3, Heavy Metal, Ghostbusters, Slipstream and one Bernstein compilation.

But The Black Cauldron seems to be not my cup of tea after all. A bit all over the place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

Incredible score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited
    NP: HOOK (John Williams)

The Epic album. "Face of Pan" is one of the most gorgeous film pieces ever written, IMO, and the rest of the music is pretty nifty too. I even like the Grusin soundalike track. "When You're All Alone" is on the mushy side, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

Incredible score!

One of those scores that turns the film into a timeless classic IMO. It will be watched 50, 100 years from now and it will still move people and make them look up the name John Barry on the future google.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: HOOK (John Williams)

The Epic album. "Face of Pan" is one of the most gorgeous film pieces ever written, IMO, and the rest of the music is pretty nifty too. I even like the Grusin soundalike track. "When You're All Alone" is on the mushy side, though.

Careful now, the very mention of Hook on this here board will initiate a discussion of whether or not the expanded is better. And in my case, you all know the answer and with that I rest my case. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hawaiians - Henry Mancini

One of the few scores for films which feature four consecutive vowels in a single word within their title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Fair game (Powell)

There's not a single track on this album that I enjoy.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    The Hawaiians - Henry Mancini

One of the few scores for films which feature four consecutive vowels in a single word within their title.

That settles it. I'm getting this score!

Peter wink