• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012
    Pants.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Whispers In the Dark - Thomas Newman

Early Thomas Newman, orchestral, noirish. Very good. One of the themes from Angels in America is in here.
  1. Snow White and the Huntsman James Newton Howard

Really enjoying this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012 edited
    NP : STAR WARS - EPISODE I : THE PHUCKEDUP MENACE - John Williams

The best of the prequel scores, very enjoyable!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed. The film may be "PHUCKEDUP" but the score is very good indeed! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is not without flaws, but I find to be highly underrated, especially in fan forums consisting of fans of the original trilogy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Amazing Spiderman - James Horner

The album goes on too long but parts are wonderful - the main theme, the love theme and the several tracks which make up the all-action finale in particular. Horner hasn't written anything like this in a while. (There is no four-note danger motif AT ALL!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    The film is not without flaws, but I find to be highly underrated, especially in fan forums consisting of fans of the original trilogy.

Apart from an excellent score and sumptuous visuals what would you say was good about it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I certainly hope it's not the sense of humour, where only ONE line, literally one, worked at all (Obi-Wan to Qui-gonn about the whole ordeal of the beginning of the film, something along these lines: "Master, you were right about one thing. The meeting WAS short."
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Southall wrote

The album goes on too long but parts are wonderful - the main theme, the love theme and the several tracks which make up the all-action finale in particular. Horner hasn't written anything like this in a while. (There is no four-note danger motif AT ALL!)

Sounds great, can't wait to hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Apart from an excellent score and sumptuous visuals what would you say was good about it?

I like the expansion of the SW universe and mythology, except for maybe the 'midiclorian' ordeal (which robbed it of its religious undertones). I just like the universe it draws up. Some great characters too, and some not so great. Jar-Jar is slightly annoying (but not as annoying as fans would have him be....he's just a comic sidekick) and Jake Lloyd isn't the best child actor around, but that didn't bother me too much. Not since you also have Yoda, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Pernilla August, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman, it's not that bad.

I like the visionary aspects of Lucas' films. It has some great setpieces too. I'd give it a 4 out of 6.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I like the expansion of the SW universe and mythology, except for maybe the 'midiclorian' ordeal (which robbed it of its religious undertones). I just like the universe it draws up. Some great characters too, and some not so great. Jar-Jar is slightly annoying (but not as annoying as fans would have him be....he's just a comic sidekick) and Jake Lloyd isn't the best child actor around, but that didn't bother me too much. Not since you also have Yoda, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Pernilla August, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman, it's not that bad.

I like the visionary aspects of Lucas' films. It has some great setpieces too. I'd give it a 4 out of 6.

Here's my little line up...

The good:-

Music
    Visuals ( mostly but not all )
    Ian McDiarmid
    The Ben-Hur rip off race

The bad:-

Jar-Jar
    Yoda
    Ewan McGregor
    Liam Neeson
    The kid who plays Anakin ( it DID bother me )
    OTT fish eats big fish eats bigger fish scenes
    The dialogue ( ALL the prequels have WORSE dialogue than the originals and that's saying something )
  4. Really, is it that Jake Lloyd is so bad an actor or is it Lucas' lack of basic actor directing abilities?

Michael Bay for example made Jon Voight's performance suck. That IS saying something, isn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    Indeed. The film may be "PHUCKEDUP" but the score is very good indeed! cool

It's a terrible and phucked up film indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

Some parts are good, specially the action finale you talk about, but the rest is nothing a RC minion couldn't have done (and probably for a better price). Again, if they want a RC kind of score, why don't they hire a RC guy? Why an A list composer to imitate them?

I expected the Danger Motif® to show up here and there, just for the sake of fun. But it doesn't.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Most of the ideas are fine (the midichlorian thing was bullshit) but the execution sucked LARGE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Some parts are good, specially the action finale you talk about, but the rest is nothing a RC minion couldn't have done (and probably for a better price). Again, if they want a RC kind of score, why don't they hire a RC guy? Why an A list composer to imitate them?

I don't her anything even vaguely RC-ish in here. Old school stuff throughout. I expect most of the complaints to be that it sounds like it could have been from the 70s or 80s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Michael Bay for example made Jon Voight's performance suck. That IS saying something, isn't it?

While it's a good example, I'd say Voight is one of those actors in the mold of Vincent Price and Woody Allen: if you have a strong and authoritative director, you can get a great performance.
    If you let them run loose what you get may well be cringeworthy (for Voight I refer to his insanely OTT performance in Anaconda, to name but one...)

None of Jake's work prior to Phantom Menace suggests there's a fine actor in there waiting to break out.
    In fact, he retired from acting in 2001...and I honestly don't think that was just because of "stress" (as was suggested at the time).

Erik Woods wrote
    Most of the ideas are fine (the midichlorian thing was bullshit) but the execution sucked LARGE!

In a nutshell.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Starhawk - Christopher Lennertz

Evidently this scifi adventure game takes a leaf out of the Firefly series book, as the soundtrack suggests nothing so much as a pretty epic and violent western. Twanging guitars and both Morricone and Americana all over the place makes for an interesting and varied listen. Lennertz sets the tone with a strong and massive opening track Homeworld, and doesn't let up from there.

While sometimes reminiscent of Jesper Kydd's eminent work, and while not overly innovative or original, this score is thoroughly melodic and has a very strong sense of direction: it's no-nonsense, powerful and epic with an emphasis on roughing up your emotional sensibilities. The tone remains epic, but the tracks are varied enough to retain both fun and interest. To me it's one of the finest things Lennertz has ever done (both in game and film work). I enjoy it hugely!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Starhawk - Christopher Lennertz

Evidently this scifi adventure game takes a leaf out of the Firefly series book, as the soundtrack suggests nothing so much as a pretty epic and violent western. Twanging guitars and both Morricone and Americana all over the place makes for an interesting and varied listen. Lennertz sets the tone with a strong and massive opening track Homeworld, and doesn't let up from there.

While sometimes reminiscent of Jesper Kydd's eminent work, and while not overly innovative or original, this score is thoroughly melodic and has a very strong sense of direction: it's no-nonsense, powerful and epic with an emphasis on roughing up your emotional sensibilities. The tone remains epic, but the tracks are varied enough to retain both fun and interest. To me it's one of the finest things Lennertz has ever done (both in game and film work). I enjoy it hugely!

Wow, can't wait to get it. Ordered it last week!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - John Williams

Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer etc

A very good album, most enjoyable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Ian McDiarmid was the only one I thought did great. Samuel L. Jackson was just being Samuel L. Jackson, which is nice enough, but not really a unique performance. Natalie Portman sounded like she was bored throughout the first movie at least, with her monotonous voice and lifeless look. Pretty good considering her age, but not a performance that did anything for me. McGregor was ok.

I thought some of the graphics and designs were cool, and I don't really mind Jar-Jar that much. He's more of a lost opportunity, as a Star Wars movie needs a comic relief character, but this was a little over the top and ended up annoying most people.

Anyway, I haven't read the books, but the story in the first flick was about trade blockades and politics, and that seems a long shot from the original Star Wars films, that had a much more classic story. The story of a nobody son of a farmer who ends up saving the galaxy is alot more fascinating than a bunch of people going around talking about politics.

The characters seemed uninteresting and uninterested, to me, and they made irrational decisions all the time. There was little consistency, and some of the lines were atrocious.

I did enjoy some parts, but overall it was a very poor movie.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    I had no problem with McGregor and Neeson being cast in these films, both actors have proved themselves in other roles but the dialogue they had to vomit in the prequels was kindergarten stuff.
  5. NP: BUG (Brian Tyler)

lovely love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I had no problem with McGregor and Neeson being cast in these films, both actors have proved themselves in other roles but the dialogue they had to vomit in the prequels was kindergarten stuff.

You speak the truth. I like both actors. Neeson is rather like Samuel L. Jackson in that he always does the same thing, but they are always enjoyable to watch. McGregor was a fine choice as Kenobi. It's the inane writing that ended up destroying it.

What also bothers me is that the characters were all so one-dimensional. They sounded so professional and flawless all the time, talking about the events of the movies as if they were at a business meeting. There was depth to the characters of the old Star Wars movies, with personal flaws and opportunity for growth.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue

Swoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The Pink Panther strikes again (Mancini)

One of the funniest movies ever made, and with a very entertaining score. Some excellent themes, especially the whimsical Inspector Clouseau theme.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Playing By Heart - John Barry

One of his very best. An absolutely sumptuous listening experience.