• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, I think the time of him churning out an absolute fantastic score every one or two years is behind us. It ended in the year 2000 with 'The Perfect Storm'.

2001 - A Beautiful Mind
    2003 - Beyond Borders
    2004 - Troy
    2005 - The Legend of Zorro
    2005 - The New World
    2008 - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
    2009 - Avatar
    2011 - Black Gold

Not bad going if you ask me.

I'd add 'The Karate Kid' to your list.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, I think the time of him churning out an absolute fantastic score every one or two years is behind us. It ended in the year 2000 with 'The Perfect Storm'.

2001 - A Beautiful Mind
    2003 - Beyond Borders
    2004 - Troy
    2005 - The New World
    2009 - Avatar
    2011 - Black Gold

But nothing too great. None of those would make my own Top Ten. I like his earlier style too much I guess.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012 edited
    A Single Man - Abel Korzeniowski & Shigeru Umebayashi

MASTERPIECE!

What a joy when a young composer who's name I don't know how to pronounce, write a score that blew me away and then he does it again with W.E. I hope he will keep this style and Hollywood won't dilute his talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

2001 - A Beautiful Mind
    2003 - Beyond Borders
    2004 - Troy
    2005 - The New World
    2009 - Avatar
    2011 - Black Gold

But nothing too great. None of those would make my own Top Ten. I like his earlier style too much I guess.

3-4 would make my Horner top ten, probably.
  2. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

2001 - A Beautiful Mind
    2003 - Beyond Borders
    2004 - Troy
    2005 - The New World
    2009 - Avatar
    2011 - Black Gold

Those are all good scores, but they're not of the same undeniably awesome quality of Star Trek II / Krull / Star Trek III / Cocoon / Aliens / Willow / The Land Before Time / Honey I Shrunk the Kids / The Rocketeer / Legends of the Fall / Braveheart / Apollo 13 / Titanic / The Mask of Zorro / The Perfect Storm.

All of this is in my humble opinion of course.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012
    Of course! It would be very dull if everyone had the same opinion.
  3. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. It doesn't change the fact that both of you are wrong. biggrin

NP: Annoying music from the gym is in my head.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One thing I've learned from a decade and a half of debate on the Internet is that I'm always wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012 edited
    NP: Sengoku BASARA The Last Party - Hiroyuki Sawano

Very interesting score. For fans of electronic/orchestral/rock bombast. Often time you have a cross between processed synthesized and layered percussion over a live concert orchestra sound. You will get a whiplash of Brian Tyler and John Powell in its most generic approach at time. Fans of either composer should take a listen if they can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    The Avengers Silvestri

I’d heard this in the film numerous times and thought it was great in context but I think it’s brilliant on it’s own too. The CD finally arrived last week and I can’t stop playing it, it’s a treat from beginning to end, plenty going on at all times and enough quieter passages to balance out all the big stuff. The Avengers theme is so rousing, so heroic, just so damn good!!!

It's the best action score I've heard in a long time. Love it!

Others can shocked as much as they want, I think it's a darned good score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012 edited
    shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked moon shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Wait a minute... I smell a new signature coming on --> There's nothing darn or good about The Avengers score.

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012 edited
    NP: Human Target - Bear McCreary

Such a fun score!
    Shame they didn't bring Bear back for season 2!
    Still, there's a mountain of music here to enjoy.
  5. James Horner - The Four Feathers

A largely forgotten Horner score, I think. A typical good effort is transcended by the use of the Qawwali vocals. A very good theme and some insanely exciting (some of the most exciting in the last decade) action music makes it a somehow underrated score, one of my favourite Horner efforts from the previous decade for sure
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012 edited
    NP: THE FINAL CONFLICT - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Nothing short of magnificent. Man, I wish this guy was still with us.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - The Four Feathers

A largely forgotten Horner score, I think. A typical good effort is transcended by the use of the Qawwali vocals. A very good theme and some insanely exciting (some of the most exciting in the last decade) action music makes it a somehow underrated score, one of my favourite Horner efforts from the previous decade for sure

I agree with you Pawel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

cool

And I more than agree with you Lee, this is one of my all time favourite scores.
  6. Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

And I more than agree with you Lee, this is one of my all time favourite scores.

yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

yeah

We're all on the same page here!
  7. Definitely. Funny, but this was the first film I took a girlfriend to see (the relationship did survive the film) but I have no recollection of being aware of Goldsmith's score. It was not until later - when the film was shown on TV - that I thought the score great enough to record the grander, more operatic cues off the TV.
  8. Been listening to a variety of stuff today:

Il Principe di Homburg - Carlo Crivelli
    A sort of cross between lush string composing and more modernistic twists that make for a downbeat but interesting listen. I'd never heard of this composer until today but this is an interesting score.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/princi … d504875341

La Condanna - Carlo Crivelli
    I suppose very much along the same lines as Il Principe di Homburg; a mixture of traditional classical music but with a modernistic twist. It's a bit of a sombre listen but it's good to hear something this interesting to the ear once in a while.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/la-con … d465301293

Marcellino Pane e Vino - Fiorenzo Carpi
    Much lighter and more baroque sounding (solo strings, harpsichord, etc) with several themes.
    http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/marcel … d505135176

Tecnica di Un Omicidio / Quella Carogna dell'Ispettore Sterling - Robby Poitevin
    Great jazzy sixties Italian crime thriller scoring (Tecnica di Un Omicidio) that has some reminders of Elmer Bernstein's jazzy scores. Quella Carogna dell'Ispettore Sterling has more of an Italian Riviera feel to it with more light-hearted melodies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKVjQmLbBg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tecnica di Un Omicidio / Quella Carogna dell'Ispettore Sterling - Robby Poitevin
    Great jazzy sixties Italian crime thriller scoring (Tecnica di Un Omicidio) that has some reminders of Elmer Bernstein's jazzy scores. Quella Carogna dell'Ispettore Sterling has more of an Italian Riviera feel to it with more light-hearted melodies.

I like this. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I like this. cool

It's not typical of the entire album but there are other examples of Quella Carogna dell'Ispettore Sterling on YouTube.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

I love this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JURASSIC PARK III (Don Davis)

Oooff.....this is pretty relentless. But love his renditions of the JW themes and some of his calmer stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey - Austin Wintory

I love this. Calm, relaxing, contemplative. Music of meaning.
  10. Thor wrote

Oooff.....this is pretty relentless. But love his renditions of the JW themes and some of his calmer stuff.

Eh, "little too busy and fanfaric for my taste".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote

Eh, "little too busy and fanfaric for my taste".

Something like that, yes. Not that many fanfares, though....more extremely dense action music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    People Like Us - A.R. Rahman

This is wonderful. Emotional, melodic, very touching.
  11. Really?