• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I absolutely love TOURS DU MONDE... That is such gorgeous music! I wish there were more of it.

I just finished PARTITION (Brian Tyler). Very nice. Nice Indian touches. It is a bit long, like every Tyler album I've heard. The "End Title" is a really good summary of all the best themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    NP: Spider-Man 2 - Danny Elfman

Superb score to a superb film!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIAMI VICE - THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION (Jan Hammer)

One of my favourite soundtracks, a superb 2CD set that goes for big bucks on the second hand market. Wish there were more MV music out there, also the stuff by Tim Truman.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The best Spidey film IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't think the film was that special but I love the score - one of my favourite Elfmans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brave - Patrick Doyle

It's OK - some really good parts, some mediocre parts. There are places where the music just doesn't seem to be doing anything; but usually some engaging, lively passage just round the corner to lift things up again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Brave is one of the finest scores of the year!

-Erik-
  2. I am looking forward to hearing Brave when I get a hold of it. Most of the comments I have read about Doyle's score are very enthusiastic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I didn't think the film was that special but I love the score - one of my favourite Elfmans.

Interesting, because SPIDEY 2 -- neither film nor score -- are among my favs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I hope it's better than the much-hyped and probably-not-so-good (From the first listens i threw) AMAZING SPIDERMAN
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So I am not the only member of this board who doesn't really enjoy Korngold's music?

I massively enjoy Steiner (in general). Korngold almost not at all.
    Steiner's Don Juan is absolutely GREAT! I only have the original release, so I am awaiting the rerecording (which I've ordered some time back) with bated breath.

I can't really hear the Korngold in this score, though? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The best Spidey film IMO.

I agree, and the best Spiderman score so far I've heard (haven't heard Horner's yet)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

The Golden Age swashbuckling sound Korngold patented is all over Steiner's score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do always enjoy this story:
    "My favorite story concerns his relationship with the composer, Max Steiner, his friend and rival at Warner Brothers. One day Steiner said to him, 'Tell me something, Korngold. We've both been at Warner's for ten years now, and in that time your music has gotten progressively worse and worse and mine has been getting better and better. Why do you suppose that is?' And without missing a beat my father answered, 'I tell you vy dat iss, Steiner dat iss because you are stealing from me and I am stealing from you.' "

biggrin

(I disagree, by the way wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

The Golden Age swashbuckling sound Korngold patented is all over Steiner's score.

-Erik-

I can hear Korngold's style from the clips I have heard over at SAE.

And your story, Martijn, is biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Orchestral Film Music 1969-1994 - Michael J. Lewis

Got this one off Thor a while back, and I'm glad he parted with it (although I can't understand it!): what a gorgeous collection of themes, strong, vibrant, melodic and varied. I only knew the man's work from his wonderful Theatre Of Blood, but the mainstay of themes on this double CD is equally as good, or even better!

The Northafrican rhythms on Sphinx mixed up with a great theme, the profoundly lovely Pieta from Upon This Rock, the powerful presence on Julius Caesar...just a few highlights on a great compilation! Really enjoying the hell out of this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012 edited
    Snow White and the Huntsman - James Newton Howard

Has its moments, but SO generic and bland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Last Place On Earth - Trevor Jones

Evocative in its music for Antarctica, this score is glorious.
    Beautiful, almost elegiac, even meditative at points, this is a relatively early work of Jones that really deserves a proper remastering and CD release (I am listening to the vinyl rip I made). The weave of electronics and orchestra work really well (I think Jones does a really good job at that anyway), and the electronics serve to depict the bleak and beautiful, lonely landscape. The theme, as we're used to from Jones, is just gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Beautiful, almost elegiac, even meditative at points, this is a relatively early work of Jones that really deserves a proper remastering and CD release (I am listening to the vinyl rip I made). The weave of electronics and orchestra work really well (I think Jones does a really good job at that anyway), and the electronics serve to depict the bleak and beautiful, lonely landscape. The theme, as we're used to from Jones, is just gorgeous.

Oh yes, I'd love a CD release of this, I used to have it on LP but that was part of a small batch that were stolen from me many years ago, in fact it's certain scores like this that I completely forget I ever had until some poster like yourself brings it up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Martijn wrote

Got this one off Thor a while back, and I'm glad he parted with it (although I can't understand it!): what a gorgeous collection of themes, strong, vibrant, melodic and varied. I only knew the man's work from his wonderful Theatre Of Blood, but the mainstay of themes on this double CD is equally as good, or even better!

The Northafrican rhythms on Sphinx mixed up with a great theme, the profoundly lovely Pieta from Upon This Rock, the powerful presence on Julius Caesar...just a few highlights on a great compilation! Really enjoying the hell out of this!

I wondered if all the Lewis tracks that were showing up on your last.fm profile earlier was a compilation. The Sphinx theme is excellent.
  6. Martijn wrote

That theme is really good. I first came across this score at the SONCINEMAD concert and it definitely caught my attention that I had to hunt down the dubious CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

It's a good set, although some some of the tracks are a little too 'obvious' and sounds a bit like the music they play in big Christian meetings in the USA -- heavy on the cymbal crashes! But by all means, I probably wouldn't have sold it if didn't already had it in my iTunes. The selling and giving away is more about reducing my physical collection these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    ... sounds a bit like the music they play in big Christian meetings in the USA -- heavy on the cymbal crashes!

What kind of church plays this sort of music?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Not my church. We're a strictly organ church. Actually, that's not entirely true (we sometimes have musical numbers involving piano, flute, strings, or harp), but I've certainly never seen a cymbal at church!

I just finished JNH's THE GREAT DEBATERS. It's nice and noble. A little uneventful, perhaps, but the final trio of tracks is quite good, especially the last.

Now I'm on to Isham's EIGHT BELOW. After all the praise I'd heard about it I was a little disappointed on my first two listens. We'll see how it fares on the third. Sadly, my itunes download only gave me the first minute of "The Journey Begins" (the second track). Too bad - if the first minute is any indication of the rest of the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    ... sounds a bit like the music they play in big Christian meetings in the USA -- heavy on the cymbal crashes!

What kind of church plays this sort of music?

I was not thinking about church, but one of those massive rallies (inside stadiums) with charismatic leaders and a fullblown orchestra in the pit, literally underscoring the leader's every words. I don't know the English words for it; in Norwegian it's called 'vekkelsesmøter'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sounds a bit revival-ish?
    But maybe it's a Norwegian thing: I can't really place it either, and I really didn't have any such connotations.
    Anyway, really happy with it. The highlight of the batch back then for me! smile
  9. STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

Featuring my all-time favourite Horner track...

'Spock's Cabin'

cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Sounds a bit revival-ish?
    But maybe it's a Norwegian thing: I can't really place it either, and I really didn't have any such connotations.
    Anyway, really happy with it. The highlight of the batch back then for me! smile

Yeah, revivalish. It's definitely not Norwegian...it's a pure American phenomenon. If I just could remember the name of the damn things; or some of the pastors. Pat Robertson is a name that springs to mind, but I know it's not him. DAMMIT!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

Featuring my all-time favourite Horner track...

'Spock's Cabin'

cool

That's a very minimalistic song choice for you! shocked