• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Sounds a bit revival-ish?
    But maybe it's a Norwegian thing: I can't really place it either, and I really didn't have any such connotations.
    Anyway, really happy with it. The highlight of the batch back then for me! smile

Yeah, revivalish. It's definitely not Norwegian...it's a pure American phenomenon. If I just could remember the name of the damn things; or some of the pastors. Pat Robertson is a name that springs to mind, but I know it's not him. DAMMIT!

Billy Graham?
    He was the king of revivalism....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited
    No, not Billy. I think it was Pat something or something Robertson (not the American politician). Round face, hair standing up. Some of his HUGE gathering revivals were shown on a Christian TV channel here in Norway in the 90's, and I noticed how the orchestral music in the background followed his words, soaring higher and higher as the intensity grew. Or when he spoke in tongues. Or when people were 'saved'. Stuff like that. I just remember thinking about this when I first bought the Lewis set. Lewis is a firm believer, and I felt some of the music had been culled from that type of setting -- the explicit, soaring melodicism (at times a bit TOO overt) and the constant cymbal crashes.

But by all means...I like listening to it and I wouldn't have sold it if if weren't in my iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NONE BUT THE BRAVE (John Williams)

One of his rare dramatic scores in the 60's. Lots of dissonance and suspense, but also a great main theme that reminds me of Miklos Rozsa at times. The film is quite decent too, directed by and starring none other than Frank Sinatra.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NOT WITH MY WIFE, YOU DON'T! (John Williams)

Now HERE's the Mancini influence you speak of, Southall. But smooth listening nonetheless. Superb melodic skills and just plain fun all around.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAGIC - Jerry Goldsmith

A very good score, quite creepy too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

Featuring my all-time favourite Horner track...

'Spock's Cabin'

cool

That's a very minimalistic song choice for you! shocked

tongue

I'll let you take a wild guess what I really meant to put there. You have only one shot at this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. NP: The Nun's Story - Franz Waxman

Listening to this one for the first time...and I may have found my favourite Waxman score!

Not brash in the slightest (I tend to think of a lot of his material as being a bit too "in your face" - but that may be down to my limited exposure to his work), this is a lovely and seems to go straight to the heart of Audrey Hepburn's journey in the film.

I think that this may be a digital release of the sub-par-sounding Stanyan Records CD. But, it's much better than nothing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Nun's Story - Franz Waxman

Listening to this one for the first time...and I may have found my favourite Waxman score!

Not brash in the slightest (I tend to think of a lot of his material as being a bit too "in your face" - but that may be down to my limited exposure to his work), this is a lovely and seems to go straight to the heart of Audrey Hepburn's journey in the film.

I think that this may be a digital release of the sub-par-sounding Stanyan Records CD. But, it's much better than nothing.

And I am enjoying it so much I had to look back to see what my 1959 choice on my favourites list is - Ben-Hur. No chance of beating that one, but The Nun's Story is a significant score in my book.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. PROMETHEUS

Third listen and only a couple of cues are interesting (which means a bit of alright), the rest either grates or makes me sleepy. I can't see this getting better with time. Streitenfeld is no Goldsmith, and his ideas here do support the movie but little else. Jerry could please in and out of the film without breaking a sweat. So as of now I'll accept the score within the film, but as a standalone listen, for me, it bites the dust.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    China Moon - George Fenton

Decent noir score let down by some dated (early 90s) elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Amazing Grace and Chuck - Elmer Bernstein

Well, I think it's really nice, so you can all go boil your heads.
  4. Southall wrote
    Amazing Grace and Chuck - Elmer Bernstein

Well, I think it's really nice, so you can all go boil your heads.

I am glad that I got this eventually. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't get the new one. I had the old one.

(Exciting update, that.)
  5. I know you do and you kept saying you would send me a copy some time ago when I expressed an interest. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh. shame I had no recollection of that at all! Is there anything else in the same category?
  6. Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

Unabashedly romantic. No one does it better.
  7. "Knight Rider" (Volume 2, Peake)

Two times through now (skipping the songs and opening theme arrangement).

I wrote a review a year or two ago:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/knigh … -volume-2/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

Featuring my all-time favourite Horner track...

'Spock's Cabin'

cool

That's a very minimalistic song choice for you! shocked

tongue

I'll let you take a wild guess what I really meant to put there. You have only one shot at this.

Stealing The Enterprise Correct? I know I am! cheesy
    I thought that might of been your angle on the original post. But you had me fishing just in case!
  8. Atham wrote

Stealing The Enterprise Correct? I know I am! cheesy
    I thought that might of been your angle on the original post. But you had me fishing just in case!

Correct, that is my favourite ever Horner track. 8+ minutes of exhilaration and fanfaristic brilliance. I think I'm not alone in this. And I seriously doubt he could write something like this again, his style has definitely shifted.

Spock's Cabin comes in second place... biggrin
  9. THE FOUR FEATHERS - JAMES HORNER

Now this features my favourite Horner cue of the 00s, and I'm being truthful:

THE MAHDI

Such a memorable concoction of everything Horner used to stand for: pure emotion and power. He hasn't done anything quite like it in the recent years sadly.

IMO this is a better score than Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It IS an amazing score, very heartfelt and touching.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Grande Duello - Luis Bacalov

Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, it is. I got it too.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ice Age: Continental Drift - John Powell

Third disappointing score in a row. Happy Feet Two and The Lorax are two of the weakest I think he's done. This is better than these but there's nothing I need to hear more than once. He clearly knows his Ice Age music inside out and uses some of the smaller themes from his first two scores in a more major role here. An as usual, everything is well orchestrated, well recorded and his sound excels, I just wish he'd apply it to something different!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALEXANDER - Vangelis

I managed to sit through about half an hour of the film once, it was half an hour too much, dreadful film. The music is very enjoyable though, a fine album listening experience.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012 edited
    NP: [b]SECRET OF TELEGIAN---Sei Ikeno
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_the_Telegian

The release I have is an old mono one so while the music is interesting the sound is not. I liked the film also.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Ice Age: Continental Drift - John Powell

Third disappointing score in a row. Happy Feet Two and The Lorax are two of the weakest I think he's done. This is better than these but there's nothing I need to hear more than once. He clearly knows his Ice Age music inside out and uses some of the smaller themes from his first two scores in a more major role here. An as usual, everything is well orchestrated, well recorded and his sound excels, I just wish he'd apply it to something different!

He needs to change genre asap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You mean change mediums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if you look at animated as a wholly different medium, yeah. I'd love to hear him get out of the typecast and do some wholly different films for a change. He has huge potential and those money-changing sequels-of-sequels of animated films he does all the time do not seem to provide him with the inspiration he needs, perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Demetris wrote
    Well, if you look at animated as a wholly different medium, yeah. I'd love to hear him get out of the typecast and do some wholly different films for a change. He has huge potential and those money-changing sequels-of-sequels of animated films he does all the time do not seem to provide him with the inspiration he needs, perhaps.

But it certainly puts money in his pocket.
    listen to more classical music!