• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. MEDICINE MAN - GOLDSMITH

What a delightful score... playful and fun, and holding of course another great theme. While 'The Trees' is the standout track, every cue on the album creates that certain magical atmosphere Jerry knew how to do, even for a flawed film such as this. The score made the movie at least watch-able and, dare I say it... fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    I've not seen the film and have no desire to but the score is an absolute gem, 'The Trees' is a standout ( and VERY John Barryesque cool ) but the rest of the score is a delight too, to think I never played this for about 10 years after first purchasing it because I thought it was crap. shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The dark knight rises (Hans Z.)

First listen - until now I quite like it. This has a (good) ambient design. I like the way Zimmer plays with his Batman motif in the first track and the Catwoman bit is very nice.
  3. The Forgotten Horner

I seem to be alone in my opinion but I think this is an underrated score. It loses me a couple of times in the middle section but I love the overall mood it creates and I think the first and last tracks are real stunners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp said :- Or take the famous example of Moebius' version of Silver Surfer vs Kirby's version, which one is better? Wanna fight about it? wink

YES! Because neither is anywhere near the sublime John Buscema version! tongue wink

I prefer the Ron Lim version, to be honest.

Gut Punch!

WHOOOOOSH! straight over my head wink I'm not familiar with Ron Lim's version, I never bought the comic when the character was relaunched in his own title back in the 80's, I like Lim's style though.

I never liked Kirby's version even though he was first to draw him ( in Fantastic Four ), Buscema is the artist who refined and defined him, scaling down the usually over-muscled look of most heroic characters.

Ron Lim's version is the version for me. Really sleek an smooth in interpretation, though I've always had a soft spot for Kirby's very unique style.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kirby is a true legend and his contribution to so many iconic characters is near immeasurable, THE giant of the comic book world.

I can see why you like Lim's version, I'd say his is a cross between Kirby's and Buscema's though he retains his own unique style.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

I had forgotten how good this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    MEDICINE MAN - GOLDSMITH

What a delightful score... playful and fun, and holding of course another great theme. While 'The Trees' is the standout track, every cue on the album creates that certain magical atmosphere Jerry knew how to do, even for a flawed film such as this. The score made the movie at least watch-able and, dare I say it... fun.

This is one of my favourite Goldsmith scores and soundtracks. The film is decent too, IMO, although perhaps a bit saccharine with some 'easy solutions' here and there.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: The Yards (Howard Shore)

The most rewarding non-LOTR Shore soundtrack album for me, I think. And in some ways, the mood / volume of it is a more suitable background for me than those scores.

Next up: Hearts in Atlantis (Mychael Danna)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012 edited
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Origins - DEMO CUES - Hans Zimmer

This really dial in the 50 minutes of new (and updated) thematic materials for the movie. I love it!!!!

Granted, that a lot, if not most of it is in the album, it's quite nice to hear how they were all originally developed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think it's actually better than the soundtrack. I hope they are released as MP3's then we can construct a better album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE (John Williams)

My fav of the prequel scores; I may even like it more than EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DEMOLITION MAN - Elliot Goldenthal

A very good score, the album is very short and that's fine by me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DEMOLITION MAN - Elliot Goldenthal

A very good score, the album is very short and that's fine by me.

It's a good one, perhaps the closest EG has ever been a 'comedy'. I think the length is pretty much perfect, given the nature of the music (at times relentless, at other times somewhat quirky).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You nailed it Thor, I like the album but any longer would be too much for me.

NP : DOGMA - Howard Shore

Great stuff, I love this score though I have to grit my teeth during 'moby The Golden Calf'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DARK CITY | trevor jones

I HAVE THE POWER! Sometimes I need this track to wake up again. What a sleepy day so far. spin
    Kazoo
  5. Southall wrote
    The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

I had forgotten how good this is.

Yes, especially the last 3 tracks. You should review it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    Anthony wrote
    I think it's actually better than the soundtrack. I hope they are released as MP3's then we can construct a better album.

I have them as individual cues, 4 of them. Do you have it as one long suite, which I do as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012 edited
    Today I'm listening to Rescuers Down Under (Bruce Broughton) & Dances With Wolves (John Barry), while revising my first academic article which (hopefully) will be published...

At first I tired to listen to The Dark Knight, but it was rather distracting biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote

I have them as individual cues, 4 of them. Do you have it as one long suite, which I do as well.

But are yours the 96kbps rips that are floating around or the actual thing in high quality?
  6. I was playing Goldsmith's STAR TREK earlier today, excellent as it was, my journey to the stars wasn't finished...

STARGATE - DAVID ARNOLD

A stunning score deserving the highest possible marks. It's only slightly bettered by Independence Day, but that one also has a longer running time.

punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    War Goddess - Riz Ortolani

Absolutely stunning. Larger than life action, romance, drama. 35 minutes of film music bliss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Anthony wrote
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote

But are yours the 96kbps rips that are floating around or the actual thing in high quality?

The original M4A rip. I think they were 98kbps. There aren't any version that is in high quality, like 320kbps.

I wish that WB would release a full deluxe version with all of the currently available cues, similar to what they did with TDK. I would buy it. That TDK version was awesome, despite lacking indepth liner notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    I was playing Goldsmith's STAR TREK earlier today, excellent as it was, my journey to the stars wasn't finished...

STARGATE - DAVID ARNOLD

A stunning score deserving the highest possible marks. It's only slightly bettered by Independence Day, but that one also has a longer running time.

punk

You're right. StarGate was a good score, with a few stand out tracks, until ID4 came along and stomped on it in every way and then spit on its grave..
  7. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I was playing Goldsmith's STAR TREK earlier today, excellent as it was, my journey to the stars wasn't finished...

STARGATE - DAVID ARNOLD

punk

You're right was a good score, with a few stand out tracks, until ID4 came along and stomped on it in every way and then spit on its grave..

A few stand out tracks? I'd say over half of the tracks (on the Deluxe Edition) are just as good as what's found on the ID4 complete release. Stargate is a very exciting listen in itself and I remember being blown away by what this young and promising composer had written. Two years later he blew me away even further. It's such a shame that talent is now under-used, that Hollywood now prefers to hire Jablonsky or Tyler for the summer blockbusters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

STARGATE - DAVID ARNOLD

punk

You're right was a good score, with a few stand out tracks, until ID4 came along and stomped on it in every way and then spit on its grave..

A few stand out tracks? I'd say over half of the tracks (on the Deluxe Edition) are just as good as what's found on the ID4 complete release. Stargate is a very exciting listen in itself and I remember being blown away by what this young and promising composer had written. Two years later he blew me away even further. It's such a shame that talent is now under-used, that Hollywood now prefers to hire Jablonsky or Tyler for the summer blockbusters.

The Stargate album is very good, since I could get through the whole thing without problems. But there're only a few really standout tracks for me, if I was to recall it. But with ID4. It's just really solid throughout. Kinda similar to his last Emmerich film, Gozilla.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Brian Tyler - Transformers Prime

A killer main theme, yes, but by the halfway mark I was getting slightly sick of it. The secondary, sub-theme is almost as good but, frustratingly, is way underused!

Now onto The Day the Earth Stood Still - Bernard Herrmann

A true classic - and can never get enough of the short but staggering 'Gort', one of the greatest cues of all time. The menace, the otherwordliness of it - actually I can't think of many more cues in film music history that I love more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I'd say that 83-year-old Ennio Morricone sitting at a desk and writing 60 minutes of fully-notated music with neither a computer nor an orchestrator (nor even a piano) in sight is evidence of quite a lot of effort.

Morricone is perhaps that hardest working, most brilliant and less-acknowledged composer still alive today.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Origins - DEMO CUES - Hans Zimmer

This really dial in the 50 minutes of new (and updated) thematic materials for the movie. I love it!!!!

Granted, that a lot, if not most of it is in the album, it's quite nice to hear how they were all originally developed.

Are these from the iphone app?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Yards (Howard Shore)

The most rewarding non-LOTR Shore soundtrack album for me, I think. And in some ways, the mood / volume of it is a more suitable background for me than those scores.

Next up: Hearts in Atlantis (Mychael Danna)

The Yards: The closest thing to THE THIN RED LINE, in terms of concept and quality, i've ever heard. Absolutely brilliant score for a very overlooked movie.

Hearts in Atlantis: perhaps his best score to date, imo.