• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    D tellin it like it is. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What the fuck have this world turned into.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I often wonder that myself too handsome...

NP: Memoirs of a Geisha ~ John Williams

What can I say that I haven't already for this one. Blissful moments every time I listen to it.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote

I wonder if I'm too handsome as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

You are, you also have the Sauce Code so I'd have no chance if out on the pull with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm spoiled by all these symphonic video game adaptions. Trying to listen to the actual original score to Final Fantasy XIII and finding the synthyness way too synthy.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol I know what you mean.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Fortunately, up next is Disc 1 of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Stavroula wrote

NP: Memoirs of a Geisha ~ John Williams

What can I say that I haven't already for this one. Blissful moments every time I listen to it.

I think this score is the closest a Hollywood composer will get to rendering an authentically East Asian sound with his music.
  2. Goldsmith came very close with the Japanese sound in Tora! Tora! Tora! which I deem to be the most Japanese Hollywood score ever written also in a cultural sense. Hans Zimmer's Black Rain gets the Japanese sound very close to the source, closer than the Westernized twist on it that The Last Samurai was.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : X-MEN 3 : THE LAST STAND - John Powell

Good stuff, one of the better modern superhero scores.
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Oh hell yeah! Giacchino's best score and one of my top ten scores of all time!

-Erik-

Enough said.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

I was almost certain that you'll be the one to bite the "too" bait! Or Martijn perhaps! tongue smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. To honour the victims of the attacks, I listened to (here already yesterday):

Craig Armstrong - World Trade Center

A nice, beautiful, thoughtful score with very nice themes. Not one of Armstrong's best works, but nice and respectful enough. Due to time constraints I didn't manage to go with my typical 9/11 listen, which is Saving Private Ryan (Hymn to the Fallen becomes particularly poignant in such a day). I'll wrap the day up with Jerry Goldsmith's theme from The Last Castle in the "September 11, 2001" arrangement. You may think, because of my very next post I'll write, that my time handling is schizophrenic, but it's really not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    I liked that. Nothing he wrote afterwards was good enough IMO.
  4. NP: Xenosaga - Yasunori Mitsuda

Listening to a few tracks from this video game score. "The Miracle", "The Resurrection" and "Gnosis" are all excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hadn't realised it was 9/11 but I was playing this a few hours ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xarxFEQTVnM

the only film ( I think? ) where the WTC played a starring role.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Fantastic! It's months since this Tadlow recording was released and I'm still loving it just as much! punk
  5. NP: 25th Hour - Terence Blanchard

The "Finale" to 25th Hour is one of my favourite pieces of film music. One of my favourite pieces of music full-stop. It's a heart-rending piece that always moves me to tears when I listen to it.

I have not seen the film but I did watch the finale on Youtube to get a sense of what the music plays against in the film. And now I get a bit more of an idea what Blanchard was doing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. It's quite a beautiful sequence in the film, one of my favourite endings to a film in recent years. (Really fine film as well.) It does go a bit over the top in scoring one moment in particular, but that's a bit of a Spike Lee thing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOW - David Bowie & Brian Eno

love

So, who can tell me why I feel it's applicable as to why I can post this Bowie album, part of his "Berlin Trilogy" here?

You were the only one to answer Alan, some of the material was written ( but not used ) for Nicholas Roeg's THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    It's quite a beautiful sequence in the film, one of my favourite endings to a film in recent years. (Really fine film as well.) It does go a bit over the top in scoring one moment in particular, but that's a bit of a Spike Lee thing.

It is a beautiful sequence. I always wondered what the prominent snare drums that can be heard were for and this final sequence shows the association. I did think that that was a bit OTT.
  8. Yep, that's the bit.

The thing is, the film uses music like that quite a bit throughout... it's always nice to see a filmmaker trust the music to carry ideas, since it seems to be so unfashionable at times, however in this case it does feel like it gets pushed a bit hard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice movie and very distinct usage of music as well. As for Blanchard, my favorite score of his to date still remains the beautiful Requiem for Katrina.
  9. I'll have to see this. I really liked his score for Inside Man.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Thelma and Louise

It's the man's birthday. First I listened to Saving Private Ryan, to keep with the mood of yesterday, but then I played The Dark Knight Rises.

Thelma and Louise is quite the score. It did achieve enough cult status to be extensively bootlegged later on. I am listening to the Kritzerland release that was sold out in *one* day. I bought it later, because a guy sold it to me in wrapping. So there.

The atmospheric music reminds me of Cluster One from Pink Floyd's The Division Bell and it's not a rip-off because that album was released 3 years after Ridley Scott's cult movie. Hans wrote a bluesy atmospheric score that goes well with the way Ridley Scott perceives music. There are two parts to it, there is the atmospheric emotional part and the fun bluegrassy/bluesy part which may not be to the liking of many people, because it's quite quirky and sometimes even a bit out of the blue. Both parts turn into a very dramatic action piece, which is Chase/You've Always Been Crazy. It's still a very good score from Zimmer, one of his best early works, I think. That said, I am not a huge fan of Regarding Henry, for example.

Glad I can own this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOW - David Bowie & Brian Eno

love

So, who can tell me why I feel it's applicable as to why I can post this Bowie album, part of his "Berlin Trilogy" here?

You were the only one to answer Alan, some of the material was written ( but not used ) for Nicholas Roeg's THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

NP : A VIEW TO A KILL - John Barry

An underrated Bond score IMO, a great title song ( though the lyrics are a bit iffy ), superbly moody underscore, a great and very ominous theme for the impending destruction of Silicon Valley plan and a thunderous action music complete with electric guitar. Roger Moore was more like Roger Mortis in his last Bond film but Barry assures us that this is still Bond wink

Finally, what is the link between David Bowie and this film?
  11. Let me guess, David Bowie was regarded as a candidate for the Walken part?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Let me guess, David Bowie was regarded as a candidate for the Walken part?

A good guess Pawel and CORRECT! beer
  12. There is a certain similarity and definitely Zorin's personality would fit Bowie pretty well.