• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

So beautiful, recommended to some of the man's detractors.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    DARIO MARIANELLI - Anna Karenina

Boy this is good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gotta really like waltz's to get into that one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Demetris wrote

Boy this is good.

I went back and listened to the rest it this and came away with just one track I would want to listen to again. Oh, well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote

Boy this is good.

Can't wait...Marianelli has never disappointed me. His last score, Fishy Murder in TerroristLand*, was a bit too flowery compared to his very best scores, but still has enough nice music to make me happy.

*Fishy = Salmon; Murder = Fishing; TerroristLand = Yemen (at least according to 'Muricans) :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. NP: Super 8 - Michael Giacchino

Isn't "Letting Go" a particularly good track?

Carry on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It is but "We’ll Fix It In Post-Haste" is my favorite track from that score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Heavy Metal 2000 - Frederic Talgorn

I've said it before and I will say it again... this is one of the finest sci-fi film scores ever written!

-Erik-
  4. NP: The Jungle Book - George Bruns

Listening to a number of the songs from this great Disney film. I used to have this on LP when I was a child but it was a sort of "Story of..." records and so there was a lot of dialogue on the songs that are not on these song-only tracks.

It's great to have the songs but I miss the banter, particularly on songs such as "The Bare Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Jungle Book - George Bruns

Listening to a number of the songs from this great Disney film. I used to have this on LP when I was a child but it was a sort of "Story of..." records and so there was a lot of dialogue on the songs that are not on these song-only tracks.

It's great to have the songs but I miss the banter, particularly on songs such as "The Bare Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You".

Lovely music, great songs, excellent album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    So sir, would you like the sixty minute headache or the 80 minute one?

Tyler's AVP: Requiem is the film music equivalent of a severe migraine headache!

-Erik-

honestly, I thought that too
    but despite the enormous wall to wall music, I was surprised to discover so much tiny references to the 2 scores Aliens and Predator, and for that I admire the score

but the album's way too long, 45 minutes tops was ideal
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    So sir, would you like the sixty minute headache or the 80 minute one?

Tyler's AVP: Requiem is the film music equivalent of a severe migraine headache!

-Erik-

honestly, I thought that too
    but despite the enormous wall to wall music, I was surprised to discover so much tiny references to the 2 scores Aliens and Predator, and for that I admire the score

but the album's way too long, 45 minutes tops was ideal

If the album was 45 minutes long it would still be 45 minutes too long.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Tim, did you have the "Story of..." album with the dialogue as well as the music/songs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

There's actually two albums, I found!
    The 2001 CD release of Bruns' score and the songs as heard in the film, and a 1969 more listener-friendly, jazz-oriented LP...which I've just ordered, love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

That's all I admire about the score. But all of that is drowned out by a wall of incessant noise.

-Erik-
  7. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

There's actually two albums, I found!
    The 2001 CD release of Bruns' score and the songs as heard in the film, and a 1969 more listener-friendly, jazz-oriented LP...which I've just ordered, love

I remember having a Basil Brush album too at around the same time! shame

http://www.discogs.com/Basil-Brush-Basi … se/3087297

Not on the same level as The Jungle Book but I wish I could hear it again to see if my memories of it are like what it is actually is!! And I see the credit "written by George Martin" - THE George Martin?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    According to Wiki there's a 'comedian' George Martin linked to Basil Brush spin

I never had the Jungle Book story LP sadly, as a kid if I didn't see it with my own eyes it didn't exist, I'd definitely have bought it had I seen it all those years ago.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Gotta really like waltz's to get into that one.

-Erik-

Desplat fans suddenly took note and eagerly turned their heads towards this one. lick
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Yeah, heavily looking forward to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote

As I recall, "The Bare Necessities" was one or two songs left in the film by Terry Gilkyson, who originalyl did more songs, but they were all replaced. If they were all as catchy and memorable as that one, it's a real shame.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    ^ Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?! angry

-Erik-
  11. NP: The Story of the Unknown Actor - Alfred Schnittke

This is part of a nice re-recording featuring music from this score as well as some tracks from The Commissar. "Agitato I - Schlitten" is a vibrant piece that at this late hour was quite invigorating!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 … amp;sr=1-4
  12. I like that album. Maybe the Commissar portion runs a tad long, but it's all fine music.

Bizarrely, that review I once wrote of it turned up here...
    http://alfredschnittke.wordpress.com/20 … -volume-i/
    I wasn't really a concise reviewer back then.
  13. biggrin
  14. Even I have to chuckle at the end when I say -- 'there is much more that could be commented on.'

REALLY?! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    Stop It! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 007 - Blood Stone - Richard Jacques

I really like how Richard's able to reference David Arnold's writing style without ripping it off. His thematics are very well done. The only downside is that it's all synthesized, which is a huge shame, since the score is very well done and would benefit hugely from having an orchestra performing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012 edited
    NP: The Jayhawkers - Jerome Moross

Moross' The Big Country is my all time favourite western score and this is its VERY close cousin.
    Wonderful Americana style filled with gorgeous themes and moments that's pure "Moross"!
    The sound quality is pretty good for its time but I'd love to hear a full re-recording someday.
    I think you'll like this one Tim! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Thelma and Louise

The atmospheric music reminds me of Cluster One from Pink Floyd's The Division Bell and it's not a rip-off because that album was released 3 years after Ridley Scott's cult movie.

No, but the score most definitely has David Gilmour vibes (esp. "Thunderbird"), also the stuff he wrote way before THE DIVISION BELL and THELMA & LOUISE, both on the post-Waters albums with PF and the solo albums. Whether it was a conscious nod to Dave or not, I don't know, but it's my immediate association whenever I put it on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Kikujiro - Joe Hisaishi

Wow, what a theme. What an absolutely lovely theme.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!