• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2012
    The Ghost Writer Alexandre Desplat

He make good film music. Me like.
  1. beer
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012
    Steven wrote
    The Ghost Writer Alexandre Desplat

He make good film music. Me like.

You heard cloclo from this year ? It is beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought I had, but apparently I haven't. uhm

Desplat is a river of fresh water in a sea of shit! Okay, I don't think modern film music is that bad... but Desplat is definitely that good.
  2. I still haven't heard his Potter scores, really. Amending it today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote

Desplat is a river of fresh water in a sea of shit! Okay, I don't think modern film music is that bad... but Desplat is definitely that good.

Have I told you that it's time you say you like Desplat I like you more?

PawelStroinski wrote
    I still haven't heard his Potter scores, really. Amending it today.

You will like them Pawel! Lily's theme says it all for me.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. I've heard only Lily's Theme before, out of curiosity, because the vocals are performed by Joe Hisaishi's daughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I don't know why but it overwhelms me each time. I have this with most cues that seem to unfold with each note. Both scores are beautiful and you get to understand the beauty of the effort if you try to identify the layers in its piece. I think layering his music is one of Depslat characteristics, to me at least.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2012 edited
    At first glance Desplat's HP scores seem as simplistic and underwhelming as the Hooper scores, but the more you listen the more you realize how much subtle complexity there is, and how many themes there really are. The Desplat scores probably have as many themes as the Williams and Doyle scores actually, they're just quietly floating in the ocean of harmony rather than Williams' standing tall like a lighthouse and saying "Hi, I'm a theme!"
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well said Matt! That's exactly what I meant when I talked about layers of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

Have I told you that it's time you say you like Desplat I like you more?

I like Desplat. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    wink kiss
  4. I find I enjoy a bit of Desplat from time to time. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012 edited
    Speaking of which, is anyone else actually enjoying Desplat's (tragically small on album) contributions to "Moonrise Kingdom"? I really like it. But I only remember seeing negative comments on here. I really love Desplat's energetic fun that he puts into his Wes Anderson scores.
  5. I think they're great. They make strangely good listening while running. The score's as long as it needs to be, and definitely had more impact in the film than scores that have run many times longer.
  6. Star Trek: The Search for Spock Horner

What a score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012
    John Chambers wrote
    Star Trek: The Search for Spock Horner

What a score!

I think MANY of us agree with you! beer

NP : THE WHITE BUFFALO - John Barry

A great score and quite unnerving too, maybe the closest Barry has come to doing a horror score? Despite some dodgy Buffalo effects ( it's an enormous white Buffalo ) the film is pretty darn good too, underrated IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SELECTED FILM MUSIC (Cliff Eidelman)

Lots of great music on this promo, from when Eidelman was on top of his game back in the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Les Saveurs du Palais - Gabriel Yared

It's not often that I am immediately taken by a Yared score, but this new score from him is an immediate favourite. Nice and light, it's a lovely comedic score that certainly raises the spirits.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/saveurs-palais- … amp;sr=1-6
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transporter 2 & 3 - Alexandre Azaria

I love this Azaria's work for the Transporter trilogy. Very assertive, bold orchestral style with very clear understanding of how to integrate electronics into the overall sound. It's quite a shame that his latter action work (i.e. Lockout) doesn't have the same bombast.
  7. Listened to the samples Nathan Larson put up for the upcoming film "Looper".

Ahhhhh.....

vomit

So, if you thought HG-W's "Total Recall" and the new "Dredd" score were bad, then I advise you to not listen to this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Elliot Goldenthal - Sphere

Finally. It's great.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Elliot Goldenthal - Sphere

Finally. It's great.

if they left the last 30 minutes heard in the film on the album, it would have been even better wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ~ Michael Kamen

I always smile when I play this. And I get emotional too. It's so beautiful! He left us too soon.
  10. Stavroula wrote

I always smile when I play this. And I get emotional too. It's so beautiful! He left us too soon.

one of his truly great scores, hope this gets an expanded or complete edition soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stavroula wrote

one of his truly great scores, hope this gets an expanded or complete edition soon

Here's what I posted about the score at Intrada -- some interesting information:

Some details about "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves":

Two hours and eleven minutes of score.

Kamen:
    "As far as I know, nearly everybody who could orchestrate in L.A. was visiting me and taking pieces of parser away. I also had people helping me with take-downs [transcribing previously written, recorded, or sequenced music] and people helping me rework cues for different sections of the score.
    Then, unbelievably, while I'm working on this film with two weeks to go, they're still cutting the damn thing. They switched reel one and reel two, and I had written a symphony for reel one. I had to rescore it. We brought people up here with dulcimers at four in the morning. Everything that could happen happened."

So, if and when we get thi score, we have a previously UNHEARD "symphony" for our ears.

Kamen had three weeks, and over 15 orchestrators. I would assume he wasn't the first composer on the film.

Interview where he talks more about the film:
    http://www.runmovies.eu/index.php?optio … interviews
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Angels & Demons - Hans Zimmer

Excellent first track. There are some really fine underscore through out the album, all thematically and melodically driven, but I must say that I would have prefer to hear less of the sound design.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Elliot Goldenthal - Sphere

Finally. It's great.

if they left the last 30 minutes heard in the film on the album, it would have been even better wink

Now THIS Goldenthal score I would welcome an expanded treatment of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Battle for Terra - Korzeniowski

This is an amazing score. I can't wait to see what he does with...that time travel movie? I forget what its called but its in his upcoming projects. My favorite parts of this score are very similar to my favorite parts of Lady in the Water. "Flying With Whales" is like "Charades" with choir. I can actually see it being temp-tracked with Lady in the Water given the release dates being about a year apart. Certainly not a bad thing, its not close enough that it feels like a rip-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GOLDEN CHILD (John Barry & Michel Colombier)

I got this 3CD set at the FFM this year, among other things, and was very happy because I've always wanted the fantastic Colombier score. Right now, however, it's the rejected Barry part and those extremely annoying brass repetitions (one of the main reasons I can't stand his action-oriented material). It's like a kid whining and screaming off the top of his lungs in the back seat "ARE WE THERE YET? ARE WE THERE YET? ARE WE THERE YET?". However, he has a couple of good tracks as well. I'll probably give the Barry part a few more chances, but this is ALL about the Colombier material for my part.

I really dig the Barry-penned "Best Man in the World", though.
    I am extremely serious.