• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Stallone

REALLY?

Well... he was, wasn't he? The Rambos, Cobra, Lock-Up...
  1. I think he botched the final monologue in the first Rambo. The acting got better in the 90s, even Van Damme had good moments (and became the best of them all).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Stallone

REALLY?

Yes, really! Why would you think otherwise?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oops, I totally misread Pawel's question. I didn't realise you were asking for the good actors, just the major ones! In which case, I revise my answer to "none of them" (but I guess Mel Gibson was the best of the bunch).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I jumped on the wrong bus too. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I am making an intellectual and emotional experiment at once. Just finished:

Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

A beautiful work of art from Desplat I intend to buy next time I actually have money (which will hopefully be in two months).

The experiment is listening to two works for Terrence Malick while reading the philosopher, who was a major subject and influence in Terrence Malick's life, that is, Martin Heidegger. Reading to Desplat's work is pretty amazing, especially that it's very restrained while retaining some minimalistic movements (on purely technical level) in the writing. Up next:

Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Enough has been said about this, well in my own opinion, masterpiece and I will see how the Heideggerian philosophy applies to what is probably the most used and - in film - the best score Terrence Malick ever got.

My exposure to Malick is still too little. I saw Badlands, The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life. Days of Heaven is still waiting for me and of course The New World. I intend to watch them ASAP, but before that I had to deal with some classics from the 1980s I haven't seen and it was brutally shown to me, when I had a discussion of the early action "classics" (I refuse to call Commando a classic, because to me it's a plain bad movie) of the era (I watched The Terminator finally and Conan the Barbarian, not pure actioners, but still major movies with an actor I whose body of work (well, no pun intended, or was it?) I don't exactly respect).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I actually think the Heideggerian aspect of Malick's films is somewhat overrated, despite a close affinity to the philosopher personally and education-wise. I sympathize more with Robert Sinnerbrinks's reading of the director:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro … transcript
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Never Let Me Go - Rachel Portman

Lovely.
  4. The Debt - Thomas Newman

I can think of no better score to whet my appetite for Skyfall than this underrated gem.
  5. Thor wrote
    I actually think the Heideggerian aspect of Malick's films is somewhat overrated, despite a close affinity to the philosopher personally and education-wise. I sympathize more with Robert Sinnerbrinks's reading of the director:

That's a good program. Did Rhiannon put you onto that as well? smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012
    Hot Potato - Guy Farley

This is wonderfully entertaining, in the vein of Hamlisch's The Informant in the way it pays loving homage to John Barry and Henry Mancini.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

She did. But I've long since felt that Malick's "cinematic project" went way beyond Heidegger or any philosopher, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Hot Potato - Guy Farley

This is wonderfully entertaining, in the vein of Hamlisch's The Informant in the way it pays loving homage to John Barry and Henry Mancini.

Lovely isn't it? Great release, classy music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am making an intellectual and emotional experiment at once. Just finished:

Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

A beautiful work of art from Desplat I intend to buy next time I actually have money (which will hopefully be in two months).

The experiment is listening to two works for Terrence Malick while reading the philosopher, who was a major subject and influence in Terrence Malick's life, that is, Martin Heidegger. Reading to Desplat's work is pretty amazing, especially that it's very restrained while retaining some minimalistic movements (on purely technical level) in the writing. Up next:

Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Enough has been said about this, well in my own opinion, masterpiece and I will see how the Heideggerian philosophy applies to what is probably the most used and - in film - the best score Terrence Malick ever got.

My exposure to Malick is still too little. I saw Badlands, The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life. Days of Heaven is still waiting for me and of course The New World. I intend to watch them ASAP, but before that I had to deal with some classics from the 1980s I haven't seen and it was brutally shown to me, when I had a discussion of the early action "classics" (I refuse to call Commando a classic, because to me it's a plain bad movie) of the era (I watched The Terminator finally and Conan the Barbarian, not pure actioners, but still major movies with an actor I whose body of work (well, no pun intended, or was it?) I don't exactly respect).

My favorite Malick' movie is The Thin Red Line followed very close by The Tree of Life. Then Days of Heaven and The New World. I haven't seen Badlands.

I can't wait to see To the Wonder.
  6. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

She did. But I've long since felt that Malick's "cinematic project" went way beyond Heidegger or any philosopher, in particular.

Not sure, I watched Tree of Life as The Book of Job answering Heidegger's concept of understanding reality we are put in (because we are always "here" - da) and it made a lot of sense. Job gives a wonderful and quite pessimistic outlook at the Heideggerian concept.

It is particularly relevant in context of the motto put in front of Tree of Life. It's God's speeches to Job (Where have you been when I created the world? Do you know why I did it the way I did it? No? Then stop complaining). Malick says that that we are put into this world and we have to deal with it, because the world is always OUR world and we are in it (in der Welt). This pretty much agrees with the Heideggerian principles. Now the fact that it transcends Being and Time (the early work by Heidegger, whose philosophy developed a lot since) by using the Biblical context is another thing. Of course there is much more Job to Tree of Life (not just the question of understanding God's Wisdom, but also, through the death of the oldest son, everyone, including Jack, is put through a test of faith which, of course, is the initial theme of that book) than there is Heidegger and it goes beyond that, but I think the hermeneutic concepts of Heidegger, the very concept of understanding and questioning what is around us, is Heideggerian in origin.
  7. Of course, Heidegger never uses the word we, but is very careful to constantly state that the Dasein is always me and just me alone.

I am fresh re-reading Being and Time. I am re-reading it because there are concepts that heavily influenced my view on this world, so I want to understand this work as well as I can understand it.
  8. Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Loud as fuck punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Loud as fuck punk

Hmm, depending on the specific person doing said activity, that could be wall-piercingly loud or inaudibly quiet... cheesy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore)

The film was one of the most alienating pieces of storytelling I've seen -- a bizarre creation that fought like nothing else to keep an audience from connecting to anything. The score, however, is entrancing and hypnotic. There's one or two scenes in there that Shore even almost saves.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore)

The film was one of the most alienating pieces of storytelling I've seen -- a bizarre creation that fought like nothing else to keep an audience from connecting to anything. The score, however, is entrancing and hypnotic. There's one or two scenes in there that Shore even almost saves.

I think this will end up in my top 10 soundtrack albums this year actually. Best Howard Shore effort for me for a long time.
  11. I listened to the clips when it was first release and found it very difficult to like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. It's more in the CRASH vein...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore)

I think this will end up in my top 10 soundtrack albums this year actually. Best Howard Shore effort for me for a long time.

... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. ORBITAL - Pusher

Not bad, not bad at all.
  13. Demetris wrote

... wink

I sense I'm contradicting a previous statement. dizzy
    But in case there's any ambiguity -- only watch the film if you want to be bored out of your mind by a non-existent performance.
    Again though, spotify proves its uses. I've been listening to this score all day, legally, without having to buy it to find out if I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Krull - James Horner

My God, film music used to be dynamic.
  14. Demetris wrote
    n.p. ORBITAL - Pusher

Not bad, not bad at all.

You mentioned elsewhere that it's for anyone who enjoyed Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy. But that it focuses on the electronics rather than having any orchestral aspects.

For me, Pusher highlights the fact that it's the melding of the electronic and the orchestral that makes Tron: Legacy so good. Without the orchestral, it's nothing special.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Krull - James Horner

"The death of the beast and destruction of the black forest" - even the track titles used to be dynamic. But I can't ever read that one without sparing a moment's thought at such a needless waste of fine gateaux.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. ORBITAL - Pusher

Not bad, not bad at all.

You mentioned elsewhere that it's for anyone who enjoyed Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy. But that it focuses on the electronics rather than having any orchestral aspects.

For me, Pusher highlights the fact that it's the melding of the electronic and the orchestral that makes Tron: Legacy so good. Without the orchestral, it's nothing special.

Well if you don't like this sort of music you won't like that either smile But having read about the film extensively, i am almost sure this will fit the movie pretty good. And it helps, personally, that i am a fan of Orbital.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Krull - James Horner

"The death of the beast and destruction of the black forest" - even the track titles used to be dynamic. But I can't ever read that one without sparing a moment's thought at such a needless waste of fine gateaux.

KRRRRRRULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!