• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. ORBITAL - Pusher

Not bad, not bad at all.

You mentioned elsewhere that it's for anyone who enjoyed Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy. But that it focuses on the electronics rather than having any orchestral aspects.

For me, Pusher highlights the fact that it's the melding of the electronic and the orchestral that makes Tron: Legacy so good. Without the orchestral, it's nothing special.

Well if you don't like this sort of music you won't like that either smile But having read about the film extensively, i am almost sure this will fit the movie pretty good. And it helps, personally, that i am a fan of Orbital.

Same here. They're coming to Oslo in November, and I aim to go!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Well if you don't like this sort of music you won't like that either smile

So you're saying that if I don't like Pusher then I can't like Tron: Legacy? Because they are of the same mould?

I've listened to Pusher and I was bored and wouldn't want to listen to it again. Tron: Legacy is an excellent score. One of the best - if not the best - of 2010.

But then, I may have misunderstood your original comment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore)

Yes, still going.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. THE VILLAGE - James Newton Howard

This is good. Probably my favorite score of his. I love how the piano and violin take turns with the melody in "The Gravel Road". And the last 3 minutes of "The Vote" are just sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The Village is excellent!

I'm listening to a compilation of Rachel Portman's music. I forgot how good it is. Really really good.
    I think I hadn't listened to Portman in two years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

So you're saying that if I don't like Pusher then I can't like Tron: Legacy? Because they are of the same mould?

I've listened to Pusher and I was bored and wouldn't want to listen to it again. Tron: Legacy is an excellent score. One of the best - if not the best - of 2010.

I was talking About pusher alone and orbital's music. Not tron legacy which has orchestral elements and it is obviously closer to a traditional film music lover's tastes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    THE VILLAGE - James Newton Howard

This is good. Probably my favorite score of his. I love how the piano and violin take turns with the melody in "The Gravel Road". And the last 3 minutes of "The Vote" are just sublime.

His best score to date.
  4. Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

I was talking About pusher alone and orbital's music. Not tron legacy which has orchestral elements and it is obviously closer to a traditional film music lover's tastes.

My mistake then. Sorry! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

His best score to date.

Really? I prefer UNBREAKABLE, SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS, VERTICAL LIMIT, GRAND CANYON, THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE and more.... ( though I do really enjoy the Vaughan Williams elements of The Village )

Perhaps more accurately would be to say it's your favourite score of his to date? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, his best along with THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE smile
  5. I'd say it's his most distinctive score to date. (Although SIGNS is also very distinctive.) But VILLAGE is closer to my heart.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Hemingway & Gellhorn - Javier Navarrete

WTF? Why haven't more people mentioned this yet? It's awesome!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Scribe wrote

Tried not to be too negative. I didn't enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote

Interested to hear what did you actually enjoy this year dear Alan smile

I loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wasn't expecting much, from the lack of comments and because there are songs strewn all over the album, but after a few tracks I was like shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    I wasn't expecting much, from the lack of comments and because there are songs strewn all over the album, but after a few tracks I was like shocked

Navarrete rarely disappoints.
  7. Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scribe wrote

Interested to hear what did you actually enjoy this year dear Alan smile

I loved it.

Looking back at the score again, I must have been thinking of something else. There are a few tracks I do enjoy so it is not the definite no-no score that I implied. Maybe it was a Desplat score I was thinking of.

As for 2012 favourites, here are a few that I have so far enjoyed:

Dirk Gently
    30° I Februari
    The British Museum
    Champions of the Deep: The Sword of the Sea
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
    Trans Bavaria
    Bel Ami
    Brave Hearts: Umizaru
    Resistance: Burning Skies
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    L'Industriale
    Red Lights
    Suskind
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
    Brave
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Undaunted: The Forgotten Giants of The Allegheny Observatory
    Coriolanus
    Safe House
    Seeking A Friend For The End of The World
    Sherlock (Series 2)
    Snow White and The Huntsman
    Sorcery
    Tad, The Lost Explorer
    A Moi Seule
    Battleship
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Dark Shadows
    Il Tredicesimo Apostolo
    Men In Black 3
    Of Orcs and Men
    Rubicon

With a few more recent ones to add too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    And Julien Painot's Le Nez Dans Le Ruisseau, Alexandre Guerra's Quem Se Importa, Karel Antonin's Miner Wars 2081, Simon Lambros' Cleanskin, Heather McIntosh's Compliance, Gabriel Yared's Les Saveurs du Palais and Joe Ng/Alex Oh's Bait 3D are all worth a listen too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You liked Bait 3D?
  8. Demetris wrote
    You liked Bait 3D?

I listened to it last night. It's not an earth-shatteringly original score and it has its ups and downs (the atmospheric stuff is a down). But I enjoyed many of the tracks - e.g., "Opening", "The Dead-Human Connection", "Shotgun and Electric Shark" and "Requiem".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    You liked Bait 3D?

I listened to it last night. It's not an earth-shatteringly original score and it has its ups and downs (the atmospheric stuff is a down). But I enjoyed many of the tracks - e.g., "Opening", "The Dead-Human Connection", "Shotgun and Electric Shark" and "Requiem".

It didn't sit with me well...i am also having problems with the rest of the new screamworks releases so far, including rec3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    The Screamworks releases are very hit-and-miss for me too. And I think that it has to do with the genre they are focusing on. Most of the "modern" horror scores have far too much soundscape-type tracks to be enjoyable listens (for me anyway). And a lot of the other tracks in these scores start off with a great theme or motif and then descend back into the soundscape-type ambience. Not very nice to listen to.

NP: Padre Pio - Paolo Buonvino

This is a lovely score from 2000. Moving orchestral pieces litter this score that are brightening up this dreary Wednesday afternoon.

I heartily recommend this as a "blind" title to try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Screamworks releases are very hit-and-miss for me too. And I think that it has to do with the genre they are focusing on. Most of the "modern" horror scores have far too much soundscape-type tracks to be enjoyable listens (for me anyway). And a lot of the other tracks in these scores start off with a great theme or motif and then descend back into the soundscape-type ambience. Not very nice to listen to.

Also very saddened to hear this trend of burying any kind of acoustic orchestral elements with deafening noise, electronica-style. Very, very bad trend that destroys the few good elements these new scores have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote

Yes - I agree. One of the best scores of the year for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

His best score to date.

It's my favourite, without question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ready When You Are, JB - John Barry

I don't suppose many people other than Timmer are familiar with this compilation he recorded in the late 60s (or was it early 70s?) but I think it's a stunner - half an hour of musical bliss. "The More Things Change" (an unused theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service) has always been one of my very favourite Barry themes, just exquisite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Ready When You Are, JB - John Barry

I don't suppose many people other than Timmer are familiar with this compilation he recorded in the late 60s (or was it early 70s?) but I think it's a stunner - half an hour of musical bliss. "The More Things Change" (an unused theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service) has always been one of my very favourite Barry themes, just exquisite.

It's a fabulous album, the best re-recording of his own themes Barry ever did. I have very nostalgic memories of 'The More Things Change' in particular, it takes me back to being a teenager still living with my parents and playing this album on winter nights with the lights out and with a full fire blazing in the hearth. Brilliant choice James cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - last call

Yeah, the man can't write. http://www.briantyler.com/Site/Last_Call.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: 007 - The World Is Not Enough - David Arnold

I must say that I do enjoy all of David's 007 scores. This one worked well, if not being the hardest working element of the film, having to support a very lethargic directorial style by the president of the DGA (surprising!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - last call

Yeah, the man can't write. http://www.briantyler.com/Site/Last_Call.html

Nice! Yet another of his scores in which he gets the opportunity to show he's capable of more than just epic orchestral action writing!