• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Battle for Terra - Korzeniowski

This is an amazing score. I can't wait to see what he does with...that time travel movie? I forget what its called but its in his upcoming projects. My favorite parts of this score are very similar to my favorite parts of Lady in the Water. "Flying With Whales" is like "Charades" with choir. I can actually see it being temp-tracked with Lady in the Water given the release dates being about a year apart. Certainly not a bad thing, its not close enough that it feels like a rip-off.

brass brass braaaaaaaasssssssssss

n.p. NATHAN JOHNSON - looper

Although electronica-based like some of the rest of the not good scores this year, this actually has organic elements throughout it (not prominent at first but becomes quite interesting with repeated listens), such as a small string orchestra that paints the electronic soundscape surprisingly nice. And it's got a couple of main motifs that drive the score around, as i said, not bad at all. I know some people who will like it and i'd imagine it suits the film. Will wait and see it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    I find I enjoy a bit of Desplat from time to time. wave

kiss

Alas I'm not Stavi...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON - Laurie Johnson

Very good Herrmanesque score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. James Horner - The Life Before Her Eyes

Saw the movie recently and now listening to the score. Works very well in the movie, the amount of restraint and thought (and subtle emotions) put into it is quite wonderful. On the album it works like a sort of atmospheric warm elegy. The movie is great on its own with amazing performance. Sharing this mostly because of one big caveat that has to be said.

Whoever wants to see the movie should avoid listening to the score and/or reading the track titles. HUGE, HUGE spoilers. The track titles not only spoil the film's story, they also explain it. A harrowing piece, the movie is, especially at the end...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

Just saw the movie, which was delightful. Newman's score fills it out wonderfully; "Assault on the Senses" is classic Newman gorgeousness.
  3. Yes it is!

I just finished playing through SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN for the third time. I think this is my favorite JNH since AIRBENDER. There are quite a few very nice moments in this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    NP: Killzone 3 - Joris De Man

A really good game score that is only bested by its predecessor.
  4. lp wrote
    NP: Killzone 3 - Joris De Man

A really good game score that is only bested by its predecessor.

Killzone 2 indeed rocks big time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Thomas Newman

Just saw the movie, which was delightful. Newman's score fills it out wonderfully; "Assault on the Senses" is classic Newman gorgeousness.

Love it love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. BEAR MCCREARY - the Sarah Connor chronicles

Awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It is, isn't it?
    Best score he did so far, I think!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    It is, isn't it?
    Best score he did so far, I think!

That would be BATTLESTAR GALACTICA : THE PLAN / RAZOR
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it wouldn't.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're right, that would be his music for the series, not the films. Though Human Target deserves an honourable mention.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - David Newman

Great stuff, love the heaven and hell music particularly. angelic devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TARAS BULBA (Franz Waxman)

The ol' Rykodisc. Talk about energetic!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anna Karenina - Dario Marianelli

Just the touch of class one might expect. Lovely Slavic sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

This also has all the class you'd expect, but it's quite enjoyable (primarily due to it essentially being a pretty thinly-veiled rewrite of Inception - right down to having Johnny Marr playing the guitar).

Interesting that the director says he hired Balfe because of his work on the Sherlock Holmes films. I thought those scores were composed by Hans Zimmer? wink
  5. biggrin

Hans said that quite a bit of Sherlock was the two of them playing four hands on a piano. smile I have no idea how big was his involvement with Sherlock except co-production credit (never bothered to check).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012
    Southall wrote
    The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

This also has all the class you'd expect, but it's quite enjoyable (primarily due to it essentially being a pretty thinly-veiled rewrite of Inception - right down to having Johnny Marr playing the guitar).

Interesting that the director says he hired Balfe because of his work on the Sherlock Holmes films. I thought those scores were composed by Hans Zimmer? wink

Sounds like Inception 2.0 Le
  6. NP: L'ennemi Intime (Desplat)

I do enjoy just slipping into the darkness with this one...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    You're right, that would be his music for the series, not the films. Though Human Target deserves an honourable mention.

Indeed. Love Human Target! And The Cape for that matter!
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: L'ennemi Intime (Desplat)

One of his best. I love that ominous 2-note theme. It's a shame it's not better-known.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: L'ennemi Intime (Desplat)

One of his best. I love that ominous 2-note theme. It's a shame it's not better-known.

And AFTERWARDS too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Cloud On The Slope 3 - Joe Hisaishi

A really awesome score with a lot more dramatic action/adventure music than the original. I've never heard "2", I only heard of this because of its place in Demetris' best of 2011 thread. That thread is one of my favorite things in the world, so much awesome music I would have otherwise missed.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: TARAS BULBA (Franz Waxman)

The ol' Rykodisc. Talk about energetic!

Wonderful score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012 edited
    NP : SEA SUITES - Guy Cuyvers

I'm really not sure what this is about as the liner notes are brief, It's made up from two ( Documentary? ) series SEA POWER and SEA FEVER, regardless, this music is absolutely GORGEOUS. I've had this CD for at least 10 years and I can't believe that I've probably only played it once before. shame
  8. The A-Team Silvestri

'Flying a tank', what a stunning action cue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012 edited
    NP: Oliver & Company - J.A.C Redford (score) & Various Artists (songs)

It's interesting to hear some melodies of the songs are scattered into the score cues. And the End Title, the orchestral version of Huey Lewis song, is lovely but too short. I don't think I'll listen to other score tracks so often, though.

But the reason why I got it is Billy Joel's Why Should I Worry?... it sounds 80s but I like it! biggrin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqVcajwIg0
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THELMA & LOUISE (Hans Zimmer)

Great album all around -- the bluesy, Gilmour-ian bits and the percussive riffs.
    I am extremely serious.