• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm a bit over Middle Eastern scores actually. I'm interested in this one, but I'm not sure there's much to add here after SYRIANA.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2012
    NP: For Greater Glory - Horner
    The vocals segments are so frequent and varied, and there's so much melancholy and dramatic weight that it feels like this was temped with Return of the King. Which is a good thing. It's very close with Spider-Man for my favorite Horner release of the year.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm a bit over Middle Eastern scores actually. I'm interested in this one, but I'm not sure there's much to add here after SYRIANA.

Syriana was better i am afraid.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. There are 2-3 tracks on Argo that I enjoyed. But the breathy idea that he runs with in the score is just out-and-out annoying to my ears.

(Reminds me too much of Rolf Harris' "umming-and-ahhing" that he does when he's painting - maybe a bit too obscure a reference for most people.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. The Happening James Newton Howard

I could listen to the 'End Title Suite' endlessly, what a brilliant piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John Chambers wrote
    The Happening James Newton Howard

I could listen to the 'End Title Suite' endlessly, what a brilliant piece of music.

What about be with you ? it's one of his best compositions to date, imo smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2012
    Moonraker - John Barry

Reading the comments in the Thomas Newman thread about his Bond score not sounding like a Bond score, I can't help but think this really doesn't sound like a Bond score in any way at all (at least on the album). Incredibly slow moving, yet somehow still gripping. Love the album.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    There are 2-3 tracks on Argo that I enjoyed. But the breathy idea that he runs with in the score is just out-and-out annoying to my ears.

(Reminds me too much of Rolf Harris' "umming-and-ahhing" that he does when he's painting - maybe a bit too obscure a reference for most people.)

Funny, that track -- 'Scent of Death' -- is the only one from the soundtrack that's truly great to my ears. (Going off the version that's streaming online -- I don't have the album.) The rest has a bit too much wholesome Americana and tense Arabica. SYRIANA definitely offered opportunities for more listenable music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Can you tell what it is yet?
  5. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Can you tell what it is yet?

That closes the book on that reference I feel.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, almost. With all due respect to franz_conrad, surely Australia's greatest cultural export.
  6. Southall wrote
    Well, almost. With all due respect to franz_conrad, surely Australia's greatest cultural export.

I may just leave this video until tomorrow. I don't want it to spoil my sleep - whatever may be contained in the video.
  7. iTunes shuffle seems to be throwing up a bit of a geographic cluster: Masamichi Amano (Battle Royale), Naoki Sato (Heroic Age: Kikan) and Hiroyuki Sawano (Marks no Yama) one after the other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I may just leave this video until tomorrow. I don't want it to spoil my sleep - whatever may be contained in the video.

I'm sure that, whatever it is, it could use just another big, big tree just over there.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Mean Guns - Tony Riparetti

Mambo, synths and percussion for what looks like a hitman action flick.
    Great entertainment! Enjoying my socks off with this one.

(Tip of the hat to Alan, who first recommended this (I think) and peaked my interest)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2012 edited
    No. I think that you're thinking of Bob "there are no mistakes, only happy accidents" Ross? (Referring to the post above the Mean Guns post.)
  8. Martijn wrote

(Tip of the hat to Alan, who first recommended this (I think) and peaked my interest)

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No. I think that you're thinking of Bob "there are no mistakes, only happy accidents" Ross? (Referring to the post above the Mean Guns post.)

Sure I am...didn't watch the clip. Just assumed it'd be the Revered Big Big Tree Man.
  9. Southall wrote

I'm not sure the posting of that video quite communicates the respect due, but as our national psyche craves any affirmation (Crocodile Dundee, Croc Hunter, etc), THANKYOU FOR LOVING US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

It is a great score, also be sure to check out Guy Farley's Hot potato !
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Two Steps From Heaven - Two Steps From Hell

Yes I know this probably belongs in the other thread but I didn't feel like digging it up! Besides, it sounds exactly like film music!

If the brass on this album is synthetic its some of the best fake brass I've ever heard. The album itself is like an expensive box of assorted chocolates. Really good but after listening to the whole thing I might feel sick from all the oily sugar!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hey, on that note, maybe I should actually be thankful that Morricone albums frequently have boring suspense tracks. You need something to break up the emotional assault! Of course I'd rather have complex action pieces, but still...endless beautiful music with no breaks is just overwhelming.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    The Deep John Barry

Love this score, one of my favourites from Barry and the Intrada release is great. I often watch the first ten minutes on DVD (and now Blu-ray). The stunning underwater visuals by legends Stan Waterman and Al Giddings combine with the music to create something truly special. (The costumes in the opening sequence adding immeasurably to the art wink)

Every red blooded male ( or female if so inclined ) should watch the first ten minutes of THE DEEP lick wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

"This Land" and "Under the Stars" from the expanded version (now newly remastered by some kind soul) are some of the most beautiful music Zimmer has ever written...on par with Beyond Rangoon and the pretty parts of Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

Today it was this and Black Rain. I got to listen to this score, because there is a very minor motif cropping up once in Black Rain which actually foreshadows the main theme in Broken Arrow.

Thanks to my best friend, I am able to own the 2 CD expansion that La La Land Records did some time ago, the second expanded Hans Zimmer score to be released. Out of four limited releases, I own three now, since Black Rain came here this Monday.

Yes, I'm a happy bunny and no, I won't get every single Hans Zimmer expansion there is, the most wanted scores like Days of Thunder or Bird on a Wire don't warrant enough of my liking for me to buy them.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012 edited
    NP: Snow White: A Tale of Terror - John Ottman

I love this time of year. The leaves changing colours, the cool crisp air, pumpkin pie, pumpkin beer and Halloween themed film music.

This hidden gem by Ottman is a deliciously dark and morbid score with hints of ethereal beauty all beautifully recorded by Tim Boyle in Seattle with the Northwest Sinfonia.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012
    NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

nuff said!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012
    Yeah, thass a bit of a'right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2012 edited
    Just finished John Ottman's Incognito. IMO, it's his finest score! A great blend of baroque styled orchestrations with a modern twist. Also included are a splash of electronics, Latin styled guitar and a John Barry noir like sensuality. Brilliant!

NP: Argo - Alexandre Desplat

First spin...

EDIT - "The Mission" is a great cue but if you told me that Harry Gregson-Williams composed this score I would have believed you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012 edited
    NP: Lo Imposible - Fernando Velazquez

Drop dead gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. A tear jerker. Magnificent!

-Erik-