• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Lo Imposible - Fernando Velazquez

Drop dead gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. A tear jerker. Magnificent!

-Erik-

Sentiments agree. Your choice of words is 100% spot on. Score of the year for me as I have been melting the promo and cannot wait for my signed cd to arrive !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012 edited
    Where does one obtain signed CDs of this??

*looks on label's website*
    Oh. One doesn't. sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It was a limited edition thingy first some-dozens cd's signed thing i recall?
  1. NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

One of the most headache-inducing bunch of tracks I have heard in a long time. I think that I can safely say that I hated almost all of this. The only track I could really listen to was the source cue composed by Shirley Walker.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

One of the most headache-inducing bunch of tracks I have heard in a long time. I think that I can safely say that I hated almost all of this. The only track I could really listen to was the source cue composed by Shirley Walker.

couldn't agree more. As much as I like Zimmer, his early works are totally dated and pain inducing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For real?

BLACK RAIN is a gobsmackingly beautiful and powerful score for a highly underrated film. Still haven't bought the expansion, however (I probably will in due time; it's a money question). It's easily in my Top 10 Zimmer list.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Black Rain is my favourite early Zimmer work, though not for everybody.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Thor wrote
    For real?

BLACK RAIN is a gobsmackingly beautiful and powerful score for a highly underrated film. Still haven't bought the expansion, however (I probably will in due time; it's a money question). It's easily in my Top 10 Zimmer list.

It's lucky to make my bottom 10 Zimmer list I don't like it that much! wink

It just seems all over the place and I don't like his choice of synths. I don't have much attachment to the film - maybe that has something to do with it too?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Have you seen it?

Scott's film did get quite a bit of cult following. It was one of the first movies I watched after I got aware of the name Hans Zimmer.
  5. I have seen the film many, many years ago. I enjoyed the Japanese aspects of it but that's about it.
  6. Well, I will admit that the look of the film is basically Blade Runner for Dummies...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012
    It is truly awful imo. Score and movie. I could never understand the craze about it; cheap scoring. I'd take Inception over it a thousand times, for instance. Must have some historic sentimental value for Zimmer fans or something, otherwise i cannot explain the love for it.
  7. Well, it does have one of his very best themes, early attempt at sound design, a lot of people became a fan after hearing the early works (don't underestimate the power of the people who are fans of his early works and often they were fans of other composers as well, Rain Man - which I don't like - Black Rain were those that put Zimmer on the map, Rain Man was of course Oscar-nominated).

If you listen to this score in proper sound quality, you will actually hear things later expanded on in Inception. Funnily enough, possibly the biggest influence of Black Rain on Inception is now regarded as a David Arnold rip-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    It is truly awful imo. Score and movie. I could never understand the craze about it; cheap scoring. I'd take Inception over it a thousand times, for instance. Must have some historic sentimental value for Zimmer fans or something, otherwise i cannot explain the love for it.

Well, that's the thing about taste, isn't it?; it really needs no justification. You dislike it, I love it -- that's the bottom line.

The 'power anthem' style, of which this is really the first, is among my favourite Zimmer sounds, and here he even combines it with my other favourite sound of his, the 'exotic sound'. Combine them and you've got a score that fires on everything I love about Zimmer. And the urban texture it adds to the film.....just pure bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. (Isn't it more the film adding the urban texture to the music? Ie. When does music mean anything on its own?)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    When the music has Dwarvish chants commentating on the on-screen events?
  9. Scribe wrote
    When the music has Dwarvish chants commentating on the on-screen events?

Ie. the language of the words gives it literal meaning. Language is a code -- it gives meaning to phoenetic sounds. Ironically though the chants for most of the audience are 'Dwarvish' not because they understand Dwarvish, but because they've been told they're in a place called Moria which was a dwarf kingdom so the chanting feels like the chanting of... dwarves of legend. Again, the images label the music, not the other way around. The chanting could have been purely sonorous (a la Yared's TROY) and the effect for most of the audience would be equivalent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Isn't it more the film adding the urban texture to the music? Ie. When does music mean anything on its own?)

To rephrase Claudia Gorbman, I would say that non-representational music -- when applied to representational images -- becomes representational. That's what film music does.

What it conjures for our own inner eye is another discussion altogether. I always try to separate between the two.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    And the urban texture it adds to the film.....just pure bliss!

(Isn't it more the film adding the urban texture to the music? Ie. When does music mean anything on its own?)

To rephrase Claudia Gorbman, I would say that non-representational music -- when applied to representational images -- becomes representational. That's what film music does.

Ie. The film adds its urban texture to the music, rather than the other way around. wink (Having a few city sounds mixed into the sound design couldn't have hurt either.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, 'texture' is a rather composite term, I think, and fully realizable(?) through non-representational means, like music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WATER HORSE: LEGEND OF THE DEEP - James Newton Howard

A lovely, charming celtic flavoured score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Thor wrote
    Well, 'texture' is a rather composite term, I think, and fully realizable(?) through non-representational means, like music.

I think through the history of 'urban music', from Copland's 'Quiet City' to Kalhor's 'Silent City' to Eisenga's 'City Lines'... and were it not for the titles of the pieces (which are labels, coded by language), I doubt you could play these things to a cold audience and have them say what they heard described a city.

I'm being pedantic, yes, but I just find it interesting to find a cognitive fallacy even among someone as attuned to the moving parts as yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012 edited
    No fallacy....I'm with you regarding music's inability to have representational meaning in and of itself - beyond associations and connotations. But it can most certainly have a texture that adds to a film's mood. An urban texture is not the same as an urban denotation.

See, I can be pedantic too! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For a Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone

Extraordinary.
  12. Thor wrote
    See, I can be pedantic too! wink

I would never have attacked your credentials in pedantry, believe me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    What makes a texture urban? Out of genuine curiosity.
  13. Aha. Someone else is reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Low? Metallic? Dark? Those are all urbanish feelings which can be associated with musical textures.

I'd say the new Dredd score has some pretty "urban" textures, if there is such a thing.
  14. Scribe wrote
    I'd say the new Dredd score has some pretty "urban" textures...

I'd agree with this statement.

But what that sound is and how to describe it, that's a bit out of my league to do!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    For a Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone

Extraordinary.

someone talking sense, excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt