• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012 edited
    NP: Star Trek Generations - Dennis McCarthy

Listening to a choice of tracks from this. Isn't the mixing so much quieter than other scores?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story - Bill Conti

To me, this is a lovely score. Solemn strings (solo and massed) and chorus dominate the score so far. Perhaps there's a bit too much love shown for Barber's Adagio For Strings in places but those bits can be forgiven in a score that's one of Conti's most infrequently spoken about pieces.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. christopher wrote
    THE MASTER (Johnny Greenwood). This was unsettling, dissonant, and just not pleasant at all. My wife and children absolutely hated it. The second track, for example, is an odd piece for a couple woodwinds that see-saw back and forth in no discernible key or time signature. While I appreciated the difficultly of writing such formless music, my five-year-old said, "This music is too crazy. I just want to listen to no music." I convinced him to let me simply skip the rest of that track. A few tracks later, though, during one of the most grating cues he started screaming "TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!" I happily obliged.

You listen to scores with your family? Interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    christopher wrote
    THE MASTER (Johnny Greenwood). This was unsettling, dissonant, and just not pleasant at all. My wife and children absolutely hated it. The second track, for example, is an odd piece for a couple woodwinds that see-saw back and forth in no discernible key or time signature. While I appreciated the difficultly of writing such formless music, my five-year-old said, "This music is too crazy. I just want to listen to no music." I convinced him to let me simply skip the rest of that track. A few tracks later, though, during one of the most grating cues he started screaming "TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!" I happily obliged.

You listen to scores with your family? Interesting.

Please tell me we aren't actually comparing the master with utter crap like Dredd.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ROBERT FOLK - There be Dragons

Boy this is amazing. And Stephen Warbeck's first score about this was completely different, but equally beautiful. Never understood why they changed it...maybe they needed something more heroic and epic. But the movie is a huge flop anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You Only Live Twice - John Barry

My favourite Bond score. And, well, it is James Bond Day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Boy this is amazing. And Stephen Warbeck's first score about this was completely different, but equally beautiful. Never understood why they changed it...maybe they needed something more heroic and epic. But the movie is a huge flop anyway.

Because they recut the film!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    For Greater Glory - James Horner

People who can no longer tolerate the 4 note "danger" motif keep walking. It's heavily used here once again!
    If your patience with Horner's re-use of previous themes and ideas is running thin, step away from this one.
    But if you're like me you'll enjoy how Horner weaves his previous compositions very cleverly throughout a good deal of fresh material producing a beautiful musical tapestry rich with harmonic and thematic passages that calls back the days of Mask Of Zorro among other great titles.
    I accept the fact that he uses a predictable recipe more often than not. But at least Horner has written a large, purely orchestral score filled with old school style that people like myself crave considering the modern film score climate. I look forward to giving this many more spins. Impressive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

Because they recut the film!

-Erik-

And made it crappier than before? Thank God for 2 great scores though smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012
    Licence to Kill - Michael Kamen

The only James Bond score to make no concessions to John Barry? Still, it's entertaining in its own way, resolutely a Michael Kamen action score with occasional Bond theme references.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE CINEMA DE MICHEL LEGRAND (Michel Legrand)

So many great tracks on this 4CD set. I'm so happy that I bought it when it was on sale a few years ago, as you'd be hardpressed to find it for less than $60 these days.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Demetris wrote

As I recall, Folk talks about it some in this good interview:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … k/#Item_24
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

The classic Horner conundrum. Very enjoyable... but haven't I heard it somewhere before? Much worse than his other recent scores in that regard. But really... so enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Love it !
  4. Just saw the movie. Horner's score (which is a very rare case when the self-plagiarising stuff actually impends my enjoyment of the score, which I am VERY tolerant for in case of Horner, saying that as a *huge* fan of Enemy at the Gates) is one of the best parts of it, but you can guess when will the motif kick in.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Southall wrote

The classic Horner conundrum. Very enjoyable... but haven't I heard it somewhere before? Much worse than his other recent scores in that regard. But really... so enjoyable.

There's a very glowing review by an FSM user; second to last post, by user TheOnlyOne:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012
    It's a great score! I've played it a few times now.
    Not a great deal of originality but nontheless sweeping, dramatic and large scale Horner awesomeness!
    If I had to gripe about anything it would be that the themes do get flogged to death over its 79 minute length.
    That got to me more than the self lifts plus a borrowing from West Side Story that he weaves in so well here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just saw the movie. Horner's score (which is a very rare case when the self-plagiarising stuff actually impends my enjoyment of the score, which I am VERY tolerant for in case of Horner, saying that as a *huge* fan of Enemy at the Gates) is one of the best parts of it, but you can guess when will the motif kick in.

Pawel, is the movie worth the 2 hours of our lives? smile
  6. NP: Lo Imposible - Fernando Velázquez

There's been a level of expectation been building for this score after many of us saw the main titles sequence video on YouTube and it is great not to hear the score in its entirety.

I was hopeful that the score as a whole would live up to the expectations I had for it and I have to say, on first listening, I am pleased with what I am hearing.

The score is very much in the same vein as what is heard in the main titles piece: it very rarely veers from the feel and sound of this track. And that may be a criticism raised by some. But there is variety. There are some more dramatic pieces but they fit in with the overall subdued feel of the score, there's several places where solo instruments take centre stage - cello, piano, for example - that add the needed variety and there's the (surprising) inclusion of vocals.

It's a very emotional score. I think that the best emotional scores are the ones where the music resonates with the individual and is able to fit easily as a score to emotional episodes in the listeners' own life: becoming the mind's soundtrack for those recollections. And I feel that this score is doing that for me. This is a very personal thing I think and so this score may not have the same effect on everyone. But I think that this is one of the most accomplished scores of the year so far and is a great tonic for the majority of the output in scoring this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk Track "lets go, no need to wait" is one of the most beautiful and heartfelt compositions i've heard.
  7. Demetris wrote
    punk Track "lets go, no need to wait" is one of the most beautiful and heartfelt compositions i've heard.

And from the track, "Mom, Guess What I Just Saw Outside?", and knowing what happened that day, I dread to think what they did see! wink
  8. The Deep John Barry

Love this score, one of my favourites from Barry and the Intrada release is great. I often watch the first ten minutes on DVD (and now Blu-ray). The stunning underwater visuals by legends Stan Waterman and Al Giddings combine with the music to create something truly special. (The costumes in the opening sequence adding immeasurably to the art wink)
  9. The music is beautiful, haunting and mysterious but infused with darker undertones, really brilliant stuff!
  10. Southall wrote

Loving the Brainstorm reminders at the beginning of "José Saves Catorce" in For Greater Glory.
  11. NP: Syder Arcade - Christian Meneghini

This is a bit of a guilty pleasure that I came across today. Syder Arcade is apparently "A love letter to '90 games for the Amiga and PC" and the score is definitely in the same vein as these older scores - but also has a reference to modern scores such as Tron: Legacy (but isn't a direct relation to this latter score).

There is a definite nod to something like Airwolf (or something similar) in "The Turning Point Between Two Eras".

http://soundcloud.com/xevian360/sets/sy … ade-ost-1/
  12. NP: Star Wars - John Williams

I am having a large pang of nostalgia listening to the awesome "The Last Battle". None of this "The Battle of Yavin" tonight!
  13. Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

The CD finally came today. Now starting the second CD, which will be my first ever listen to the first original release from Virgin Records.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2012 edited
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Argo

Desplat pulling a Danna / Iglesias / Coulais middle-Eastern score. First listen, very, very different from what you'd expect from Desplat but it also has his trademarked orchestral breaks too so far but also a fair share of quirkiness, especially on the whispering rhythmic vocals that make the basis for many pieces. Let's see....
  14. I'd be very interested to hear an Iglesias / Coulais Middle-Eastern score too while we're at it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2012 edited
    Yeap but half-way ("breaking through the gates, track 08") it goes into raw and harsher electronics a la...Marc Streitenfield's BODY OF LIES, only...worse. Uhhh ohhhhh