• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WATER HORSE: LEGEND OF THE DEEP - James Newton Howard

A lovely, charming celtic flavoured score.

James Newton Howard's last truly great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's certainly not hitting those heights now though I have enjoyed "moments" of the like of Snow white and Hunger Games.

NP : STAR TREK V: HOMAGE TO CAPTAIN KIRK - Jerry Goldsmith

Darn fine score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    What makes a texture urban? Out of genuine curiosity.

Could some of the cues in "Falling Down" count?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    tongue

Glad I could be of service. moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Ah, that wasn't directed at you actually.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Urban, usually associated with low-key ambiance, noir elements, electronic bass/sub loops, synth pads; loopable atmospheric music usually without any strong themes or motifs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For Greater Glory James Horner

Weak themes and even too derivative and unoriginal for me (and I usually don't mind Horner doing that). Perhaps I'm not in the mood for it, maybe the recording's a bit naff... but I'd much rather listen to its superior older sister score The Mask Of Zorro. That's a bazillion times better than this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    "Perhaps I'm not in the mood for it"

Perhaps. Try it again another time.

But yeah, The Mask Of Zorro is waaaay better. No argument there.
  5. Steven wrote
    For Greater Glory James Horner

Weak themes and even too derivative and unoriginal for me (and I usually don't mind Horner doing that). Perhaps I'm not in the mood for it, maybe the recording's a bit naff... but I'd much rather listen to its superior older sister score The Mask Of Zorro. That's a bazillion times better than this!

Finally someone writing what I felt. When I wrote a review basically basing it on how damn derivative this score is EVEN for Horner's standards, I was lambasted for being unobjective and writing a parody of a review rather than being objective...

In fact, having seen the film (only for the purpose for the review, though it's not bad), when Horner reused his Braveheart speech music in a very similar scene in the new movie, it took me out of the experience and made me laugh and facepalm through the scene.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Urban, usually associated with low-key ambiance, noir elements, electronic bass/sub loops, synth pads; loopable atmospheric music usually without any strong themes or motifs.

Yup, good examples. Other associative 'tools' in the musical urban box:

http://montages.no/2012/01/arven-fra-ta … sikkpoesi/

(you need to translate into English through Google).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012 edited
    NP: For Greater Glory - James Horner
    I don't freaking care how derivative it is. biggrin It's pure ear sex!

*it must be a really boring year in film music for this to excite me so much compared to 90% of the rest of the year's scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Rather anal. Performed on himself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JOHN CARTER - Michael Giacchino

Am I the only one who enjoyed the film? shame A good score but it gets a bit much after a while, too much 'in your face' music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Rather anal. Performed on himself.

Now, i'd love to see your reaction if somebody said this about a Zimmer score you love wink Especially on facebook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Am I the only one who enjoyed the film? shame A good score but it gets a bit much after a while, too much 'in your face' music.

I enjoyed it. A good old fashioned romp that's a fun ride from beginning to end.
    I like the music but I'm not won over by it ....not yet anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

I enjoyed it. A good old fashioned romp that's a fun ride from beginning to end.
    I like the music but I'm not won over by it ....not yet anyway.

cool

As for the score I think there's an excellent 25 minute album there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

Sure, the Inception influence is there, though not as prominent as I expected. Lorne continues to impress with his latest solo effort. He still need that breakout score to really make a name for himself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Now, i'd love to see your reaction if somebody said this about a Zimmer score you love wink Especially on facebook.

I agree. A bum note Pawel, you've hit rock bottom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

It's brilliant from the first to the last note!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD | dan romer & benh zeitlin

One of my favourite scores of the year. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow together with Thomas at the film festival. A couple of friends have seen it and thought it was wonderful. It's a very charming score with a cute main theme, mixed with some cajun influenced music. It certainly is nothing very special, but the atmosphere and loveliness of it all, with an uplifting spirit throughout the album, makes it such a fun and rewarding listen.

Here's a suite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYdxCRr5vVY
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely agree. Just stay as far as possible for the laughable movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD | dan romer & benh zeitlin

One of my favourite scores of the year. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow together with Thomas at the film festival. A couple of friends have seen it and thought it was wonderful. It's a very charming score with a cute main theme, mixed with some cajun influenced music. It certainly is nothing very special, but the atmosphere and loveliness of it all, with an uplifting spirit throughout the album, makes it such a fun and rewarding listen.

Here's a suite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYdxCRr5vVY

Heard it once. Couldn't pop it in a 2nd time; certainly not my thing.
  7. Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

One of two scores I got this year, though one was review copy. This is the only 2012 score I actually bought.
  8. NP: The Master - Jonny Greenwood

It's a shame that the chances of me seeing this film and hearing the music in context is virtually nil because it I did see the film it would help explain the reasoning behind the choice of musical style (perhaps).

It's 'interesting' rather than enjoyable, probably technically very accomplished rather than enjoyable and as Jon mentions (I think) elsewhere, it'll will fuel the debate about whether film music should be listened to whilst watching the film rather in isolation.

I will be listening to the album in isolation. That is, probably just the once.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

One of two scores I got this year, though one was review copy. This is the only 2012 score I actually bought.

But not the only one you have heard?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Master - Jonny Greenwood

It's a shame that the chances of me seeing this film and hearing the music in context is virtually nil because it I did see the film it would help explain the reasoning behind the choice of musical style (perhaps).

It's 'interesting' rather than enjoyable, probably technically very accomplished rather than enjoyable and as Jon mentions (I think) elsewhere, it'll will fuel the debate about whether film music should be listened to whilst watching the film rather in isolation.

I will be listening to the album in isolation. That is, probably just the once.

It is different, but rather rewarding if you're in such a mood. Contains some of the most fascinating arrangements and musical thinking you'll hear in this medium these days, as all of his works.
  10. That's all well and good for people with an understanding of music. But as a purely enjoyable listening experience? Maybe - if the mood is right, as you say.

I think that, people who do not have a grasp of the finer details of how music is put together (the underlying mechanics), sometimes an appreciation of the breadth of writing can be lost. However, I also think that for people who do have an understanding and an appreciation of the musical 'theory' (for want of a better word) it is difficult to detach that part of their understanding and just enjoy the music on a purely emotional level.

(I am not saying that people with a knowledge of music don't have an emotional connection - that's plain daft. They do, it's just that the emotional connection is different and partly based upon the appreciation of the technical side.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    It does hit certain emotions; but they're mostly dark and thankfully rarely felt by most people; others listen very frequently to this kind of music ( i sure do know a lot, mostly musicologists, academics and composers ) due to technical admirations and / or boredom from everything else sounding the same, more or less. But you cannot disregard it, Penderecki for one, is considered a musical genius by many.
  11. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I agree. A bum note Pawel, you've hit rock bottom.

I'll respond to both of you at once, so I chose this post.

First, I apologize for that remark, my disappointment with Horner's score (because of how derivative it is) combined with the very bitter reaction to my review on my own website (as I wrote above, it was called a parody, just because it wasn't too positive due to the originality issue) resulted in this rather uncalled remark, so I do apologize for letting the steam out in such an uncalled for fashion.

Second, and this one is to Demetris, trust me, I've seen worse thing thrown about Zimmer and if it was actually related to a score, that wouldn't be as bad...