• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: A Year Is Like A Lifetime - Dimitri Shostakovich

This is an excellent piece of music. A suite of tracks from the 1965 film. His Opus 120 for those classical types.

Definitely trademark Shostakovich/Russian style and definitely worth tracking down. The version I have is twinned with his music for New Babylon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    If it had the Zimmer tag on it on the other hand....

Zimmer has a good track record with me. Newman, however, doesn't. moon

Sounds like Mr. Newman provided an exciting score. I hope I won't be disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited
    Just finished with Lincoln. Here are my random notes I typed out while listening to the album for the first time.

- The first track melted me. It's so simple but really nothing is ever simple for Williams. There is just so much love and care for the music, the orchestration, the emotion.

- Some might find this score to be Williams noodling around a la the Coplandesque moments in Saving Private Ryan but this music has direction, it's melodic, dramatic - at times playful - and very delicate.. The recording of each solo instrument is also lovely.

- It's what I expected and so far I'm really getting into the score... savoring each and every detail, theme, and motif. And now I'm experiencing "'With Malice Toward None.' No one, and I mean no one in film music writes for strings the way Williams does

- I want to personally thank John Williams (like he reads this) for "The Peterson House and Finale." An 11 minute tone poem (I hope I'm using those words correctly) that is simply one of the most stunning cues of Williams' career.

- It's not difficult music but the performances have to be precise for it to work. I think it's lovely music and I assume Shawn Murphy recorded the score (I don't have the credits in front of me) which is perfectly captured. When those strings warm up it's delightful!

So, on album the score is magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Lincoln - John Williams

I should preface this comment by saying that I was somewhat underwhelmed by both Tintin and War Horse and they both grew on me considerably.

So... while the music is constantly bathed in the kind of reverential, Coplandesque tone that one might have expected, and which Williams does so well... and while parts of it are in fact absolutely gorgeous... there are lengthy sequences here which sound rather like a composer going through the motions, ticking the boxes that need ticking in a somewhat passionless way... lengthy sequences that are, frankly, really rather dull.

I just didn't like the Americana cues, at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you guys getting promos of the LINCOLN score or something?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Are you guys getting promos of the LINCOLN score or something?

Nope... just making it up as we go! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Exciting! I was just going to ask if anyone knew which score John Williams was doing next. Now I know! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012 edited
    NP: 007 Edition of Cinematic Sound - Erik Woods

Just listened to the first part, mostly for the Skyfall music. Mind blowing? Not really. Refreshing? Not quite. Welcomed change? Meh. Was my expectation too high? I think so, maybe?

Hmmm, the actiony parts sounds like imitation Arnold, when it's not a pastiche of miscellaneous action licks from other composers. Temp track influence? The slower part is Newman-y for sure. It certainly doesn't suggest a Michael Kamen approach. Some of the electronic/string combo passage is very good, though it's nothing new. As a person who didn't find many of Newman's score to be that enticing, what I've heard, courtesy of Erik's show, has yet to change my opinion. I'll have to listen to it more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012
    Argo - Alexandre Desplat

There are some strong scores appearing as the year draws towards its end and this is certainly one of them. Excellent music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Also listening to the above! Just heard "The Mission" which was beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE AVENGERS - Alan Silvestri

Very enjoyable cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KING KONG - John Barry

It's not often I double-dip on a score I already have but this expanded and complete release from FSM is FANTASTIC!

It's great to hear the percussion tracks without the sound effects from the old album, speaking of which I see that this has a link with Jerry Goldsmith's PLANET OF THE APES score with Emil Richards who played on POTA's also playing the mixing bowls on this.

Absolutely loving this release.

NP : KING KONG - John Barry

This is just BRILLIANT! I'm hearing details I never noticed before, the previously unreleased tracks are pure gold, this is without doubt one of this years best releases.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2012
    ABEL KORZENIOWSKI - W.e.

Was reminded of it (hadn't played it for a long time) last night with his WSA video greeting (View it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO49KeauTYI ) Popped it in again today first thing when i woke up in high volume..this man's an incredible artist and this score is utterly gorgeous, every single note of it. It has a diachronic quality that doesn't diminish the overall taste it leaves, even after months. Great, just great.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    King Kong Lives - John Scott

Is it sacrilege to say that this is my favourite Kong score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2012 edited
    Mine is James Newton Howard's. But then that's the only King Kong score I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christian Themed Rubbish: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader David Arnold

It's hard not to wonder what this may have sounded like were it composed in his earlier years, but ignoring what better themes he may have come up with then, this is actually rather a good score. Although the themes may not be his strongest, they're still incorporated and weaved throughout the score in a typically professional manner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012 edited
    I wish Arnold could have come up with a better alternative to the "heroic theme" written by HGW. While his arrangement of it is really nice, the melody is structurally a traditional RC power anthem that needs their style of "orchestration"...Arnold's traditional arrangement of it feels awkward and odd. At least to my ears. Sort of like when the Prague orchestra does orchestra covers of Zimmer music that was intended to be synthesized. But hey, its nice that they used the theme for continuity purposes.

I do like the theme that shows up heavily in the last few tracks, I wish it had gotten some more full-bodied sweeping treatments, it's quite pretty.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "Wildes Russland - Titelsong" from Russland by Kolja Erdmann.

The choir-led rendition of the main theme in the latter part of the cue is a lot like the way Zimmer tries to use choir, as far back as The Peacemaker but more seriously in newer efforts like Pirates 4. But this the real thing and Zimmer is, in this case sadly, just the imitation. Even if the Zimmer scores are chronologically first. I don't know anything about traditional Russian music so maybe they are both copying older composers? But it's so similar in theory that it's almost like Erdmann was listening to Zimmer scores was like, I can make these so called "power anthems" sound truly powerful! biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012
    Demetris wrote
    ABEL KORZENIOWSKI - W.e.

Was reminded of it (hadn't played it for a long time) last night with his WSA video greeting (View it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO49KeauTYI ) Popped it in again today first thing when i woke up in high volume..this man's an incredible artist and this score is utterly gorgeous, every single note of it. It has a diachronic quality that doesn't diminish the overall taste it leaves, even after months. Great, just great.

Totally agree. I've played this more than any other score of the last 5 years. Only heard 3 of his scores and they're all pretty special.

Hugo - Howard Shore

The 'Frenchness' of this score annoyed the hell out of me in the film, especially in terms of its repetition. It's more bearable now on CD and some of the gentle rhythmic momentum established in some of the early cues is quite impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    King Kong Lives - John Scott

Is it sacrilege to say that this is my favourite Kong score?

I don't know James, I've never heard it. What's it like?

p.s. I hope you're getting/got the new FSM JB King Kong, I think it's absolutely stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Mine is James Newton Howard's. But then that's the only King Kong score I've heard.

I'm surprised. Have you not even seen the 1933 original with Steiner's score?

and remember that amongst "some" people it is sacrilage worthy of sacrifice to Kong himself to say you prefer a kong score over steiner's groundbreaking original wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I will have the village men mount their canoes in readiness for his abduction and impending sacrifice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think I'd be more surprised if I found someone my age who had seen the original King Kong! Though I've seen enough clips of the film to discern it's not something I'd really enjoy all that much... unless I was really in the mood to watch an old film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I think I'd be more surprised if I found someone my age who had seen the original King Kong! Though I've seen enough clips of the film to discern it's not something I'd really enjoy all that much... unless I was really in the mood to watch an old film.

I wasn't exactly around myself when this was released. Most people of your age that I know personally have seen the film, hence my surprise.
  3. I'm 25 and I've seen the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Given the nature of this website, it's not so surprising to find someone here. wink In general, at least those whom I've come to know, have probably not seen the original King Kong. I'm genuinely surprised that you know many who do, Tim! (Or maybe it's been on TV a lot and I've always missed it?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, maybe it's the kind of people I surround myself with (geeks, film buffs, single cell organisms ) wink , I dunno? There was times it seemed to be on some TV station reasonably regularly
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Wonder Woman - Christopher Drake

I like it, thank you, Thomas wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Well, maybe it's the kind of people I surround myself with (geeks, film buffs, single cell organisms ) wink , I dunno? There was times it seemed to be on some TV station reasonably regularly
    Maybe! smile The type of geeks I tend to know are ones who would put a Donkey in place of King. wink