• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    How do you get the full scores so early. Not fair...

I'm going to let you think about that for minute to see if you can come up with the answer yourself. wink

-Erik-

Maybe I should host my own show. Maybe then I'll get freebies...
  2. ... and if it's a good show, you might just find it worth all the effort.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012
    The Way - Tyler Bates

Definitely one of his best scores, if not the best. Moving, low-key melodies that work to great effect in the film. The longer piece written for the scene in the church near the end of the film is probably the finest cue of his career to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    And we still have new Williams and Shore to look forward to!

Indeed, and more Desplat's!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ATLANTIS (James Newton Howard)

Gearing up for the Ghent weekend....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012 edited
    Considering it's Ghent, Belgium you're going, excellent choice. Suggestion for follow-up: Waterworld wink.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KING KONG - John Barry

It's not often I double-dip on a score I already have but this expanded and complete release from FSM is FANTASTIC!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DINOSAUR (James Newton Howard)

I could be without the sappy love song, but the score is brilliant. "The Egg Travels" remains one of JNH's greatest compositions, IMO.

Edit: well, the score IS a little too bombastic for my taste at times. I keep forgetting that every time I put it on.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    KING KONG - John Barry

It's not often I double-dip on a score I already have but this expanded and complete release from FSM is FANTASTIC!

It's great to hear the percussion tracks without the sound effects from the old album, speaking of which I see that this has a link with Jerry Goldsmith's PLANET OF THE APES score with Emil Richards who played on POTA's also playing the mixing bowls on this.

Absolutely loving this release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know what I really like about Thomas Newman's Skyfall score? It's that this is HIS take on what Bond should sound like. He doesn't change his style to sound like Barry or Arnold even. There is no mistake that this is a Newman score. Now that's not to say that Newman doesn't tip his cap now and then to the classic Barry sound but this is ultimately a fresh take on the Bond music and while I hate to admit it - because I really do miss Arnold's sound - but this new score is really friggin' entertaining and very well composed. Dynamite recording, too.

I know some will hate the following statement but Newman's score reminds me of what Kamen did with Licence To Kill. Some say Kamen's score isn't a "proper Bond score" but I think it's a fantastic action score and I praise Kamen's for not loosing touch with his own style while at the same time still acknowledging the sound that came before him.

Anyway, I think even the most die hard of Bond fans will really enjoy what Newman brought to the table.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, the recording is excellent and it's a 100% Newman Bond score, exactly what i expected and wished for. Very happy with this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know what I really like about Thomas Newman's Skyfall score? It's that this is HIS take on what Bond should sound like. He doesn't change his style to sound like Barry or Arnold even. There is no mistake that this is a Newman score. Now that's not to say that Newman doesn't tip his cap now and then to the classic Barry sound but this is ultimately a fresh take on the Bond music and while I hate to admit it - because I really do miss Arnold's sound - but this new score is really friggin' entertaining and very well composed. Dynamite recording, too.

I know some will hate the following statement but Newman's score reminds me of what Kamen did with Licence To Kill. Some say Kamen's score isn't a "proper Bond score" but I think it's a fantastic action score and I praise Kamen's for not loosing touch with his own style while at the same time still acknowledging the sound that came before him.

Anyway, I think even the most die hard of Bond fans will really enjoy what Newman brought to the table.

-Erik-

This is only good when I say it's good, got that!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Skyfall

Tracks like Quartermaster are K.I.C.K.A.S.S.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not being Thomas Newman enthusiast, I'm not sure whether that'll be a good thing for me, considering I'm usually bored when listen to most of his score albums. The samples so far hasn't changed my opinions. Perhaps, I hope that the full score won't disappoint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Samples don't do the score justice!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I made a point of not listening to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Samples don't do the score justice!

-Erik-

We'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If it had the Zimmer tag on it on the other hand....

Am i the only one btw who hears some Brian Tyler in it too? smile "Welcome to Scotland" for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nah... what you are hearing is Thomas Newman... it's just that Tyler like to borrow sounds from other composers. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN WILLIAMS - Lincoln

Elegance is the word that comes to mind. He makes writing top film music seem so natural and easy, you wonder why nobody else is doing it?
  3. Is that his music used in the trailer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

This is not good. No, it's really bloody excellent.

I came to like Arnold's wall of sound approach a lot more in recent years (the last two were both excellent scores) but this is such fine music - it sounds so refined - well, it's just a different level.

I really don't get the "doesn't sound like a Bond score" argument. Arnold's scores weren't remotely like any of Barry's Bond scores of the 70s and 80s - there were hints of the brassy orchestral accompaniment to some of the 60s stuff, but that's it really. No, this is nothing like Barry's scores either, but like Erik says - it's Thomas Newman's version of what a Bond score should sound like, and I'm cool with that. Would rather have Newman sounding like Newman than trying to sound like someone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Would rather have Newman sounding like Newman than trying to sound like someone else.

Bingo!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Skyfall - Thomas Newman

This is not good. No, it's really bloody excellent.

I came to like Arnold's wall of sound approach a lot more in recent years (the last two were both excellent scores) but this is such fine music - it sounds so refined - well, it's just a different level.

I really don't get the "doesn't sound like a Bond score" argument. Arnold's scores weren't remotely like any of Barry's Bond scores of the 70s and 80s - there were hints of the brassy orchestral accompaniment to some of the 60s stuff, but that's it really. No, this is nothing like Barry's scores either, but like Erik says - it's Thomas Newman's version of what a Bond score should sound like, and I'm cool with that. Would rather have Newman sounding like Newman than trying to sound like someone else.

It's the most clever modern action score for sure; this hear. You hear intelligence in there. Away from RC crap and the usual uninspired stuff that made film music so derivative through the last 5 years, this is actually something fresh for a change. Away from Bourne (JNH) and its likes - thank God, this is utterly 100% Newman and that's the most welcome fact of it all. To me this is what Bond of 2012 should sound like, especially since its director proclaimed so many times so far that he wants to do a new take on Bond, a reboot.
  4. I want to hear it...

NOW!!!!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The more I hear it, the better it gets. There are depths to this that just aren't there in most action scoring. As I've said before, I didn't know what to expect from it - and there are two surprising things - first, how much overt action scoring there is (this is like nothing Newman has done before - it is a million miles from The Debt, for instance) - second, how much Bond theme there is - he sneaks it in all over the place.

I have to say I have huge respect for what Sam Mendes did with the music - he was offered the chance to direct this film, which would surely have brought him enough money that he would never need to work again, and he stuck to his guns and said - I'm only doing it if I can have Thomas Newman doing the music. It was in his contract.
  5. Christ, I haven't craved a score this much since...probably ever. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lincoln - John Williams

I should preface this comment by saying that I was somewhat underwhelmed by both Tintin and War Horse and they both grew on me considerably.

So... while the music is constantly bathed in the kind of reverential, Coplandesque tone that one might have expected, and which Williams does so well... and while parts of it are in fact absolutely gorgeous... there are lengthy sequences here which sound rather like a composer going through the motions, ticking the boxes that need ticking in a somewhat passionless way... lengthy sequences that are, frankly, really rather dull.
  6. Southall wrote
    Lincoln - John Williams

I should preface this comment by saying that I was somewhat underwhelmed by both Tintin and War Horse and they both grew on me considerably.

So... while the music is constantly bathed in the kind of reverential, Coplandesque tone that one might have expected, and which Williams does so well... and while parts of it are in fact absolutely gorgeous... there are lengthy sequences here which sound rather like a composer going through the motions, ticking the boxes that need ticking in a somewhat passionless way... lengthy sequences that are, frankly, really rather dull.

I'd agree with your comments on this one, James. There are some very good pieces but it's just so dull. Obviously reverential to the subject matter - and perhaps that's what's the problem. It sounds more like a documentary score for the most part.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn