• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Live And Let Die - George Martin

I think aside from any of the Barry scores, this is probably the best Bond score. cool

I agree! biggrin wink

I see what you did there. A definite improvement over the original statement, which I can now banish from my memory!

I :like: sharp, and you're sharp! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Brian Tyler - Modern Warfare 3

Somehow it helps me in screenwriting. I must only add that the end of Somali Payback is one of the highlights of Tyler's career, I think, the triumphant vocal melody in the end (also works great in the game).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Atlas Shrugged Part II - Chris Bacon

After listening to Source Code, I went to Spotify to see if there was anything else by Bacon and found this. A paycheck gig if I've ever heard one. There's a few good action cues in there (like the propulsive "Plane Crash") but I'd be hard-pressed to find any inspiration from this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

Everyone else is flogging dead horses, so I may as well wonder who in their right mind would want to make this album this long. I might actually have listened to it more than twice before had 40 minutes been chopped out.

I think it's perfect from start to finish! IMO, best score of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. It's a bit long for me too but I think it's one of the year's most enjoyable pieces myself.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. I haven't formally chosen my pick for Best Score of the Year yet.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I haven't formally chosen my pick for Best Score of the Year yet.

I haven't either. John Carter is a pretty good contender.
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I haven't formally chosen my pick for Best Score of the Year yet.

You should tease it out a bit. Announce a press conference where you will announce a clue as to what your Best Score of the Year was. wink

NP: Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)

I don't quite love it, but it is very good. I look forward to seeing how it works in the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. In 1985 CDs and digital recordings were still big news.

Four CDs featuring digital re-recordings of “Star Trek TOS” were released that year by two labels. Interestingly both utilised the “Royal Philharmonic Orchestra” and the only overlap in terms of episodes is “The Trouble with Tribbles”. Did any kind of agreement between Varese Sarabande and X Label Europe take place? I don’t know. Fact is that all four CDs combined provide a fantastic overview over the legendary series’ music in high fidelity stereo symphonic sound.

The releases by Varese Sarabande with Fred Steiner directing the RPO have been in my possession since the time I started collecting film music in the early 90s. The one thing to criticise is maybe that Steiner presents chiefly his own music.

I have now treated myself to the X Label Europe releases, featuring Tony Bremner directing the RPO, as compensation for not purchasing the LLL ST box set. These CDs (both are titled “Star Trek Vol. I; II) don’t feature Fred Steiner at all but a bunch of other composers.

So let’s go, where no one has gone before, shall we?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNTIL SEPTEMBER - John Barry

My favourite romantic score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

Sublime bond score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Carter - Michael Giacchino

Everyone else is flogging dead horses, so I may as well wonder who in their right mind would want to make this album this long. I might actually have listened to it more than twice before had 40 minutes been chopped out.

I think it's perfect from start to finish! IMO, best score of the year!

-Erik-

One great score for sure.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with others here that JOHN CARTER is a bit much to get through, I think it's a fine score but just a bit much on album.
  6. Agreed.

NP - THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL - Paul Cantelon.

Lovely. Has this man scored anything since? I'm unaware of any projects, which is a shame based on the quality of TOBG.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He also scored "W" but it was nowhere near this.
  7. Too bad.

NP - "Diablo Rojo" - Rodrigo y Gabriela (from PUSS IN BOOTS, though I don't think it's original to the film). This piece is so so so fun!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012
    Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

So good.
  8. "Cloud Atlas": Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

Not something to rock the world, but a very solid and pleasant score to listen to. Haven't seen the flick jet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DOVE - John Barry

Probably JB's breeziest score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    "Cloud Atlas": Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

Not something to rock the world, but a very solid and pleasant score to listen to. Haven't seen the flick jet.

You'll love it when you see the film. It's brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FLASH GORDON - Queen & Howard Blake

Not many soundtracks can boast this much fun punk

No, I'm not playing it again but the film is on TV in the background.

Unbelievably Flash prefers Dale Arden over THIS naughty girl uhm
  9. I can see why. The girl in the photo looks like she needs quite high maintenance.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I own the remastered release of the Queen album and a re-recording of a suite of the orchestral music. I know that there was a relase of the orchestral score by Super Tracks in 2000. Do you own that CD? How much of that music has actually remained in the movie? Frankly I was never much impressed with Blake's composition. The music by Queen was always dominant in my memory.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I own the remastered release of the Queen album and a re-recording of a suite of the orchestral music. I know that there was a relase of the orchestral score by Super Tracks in 2000. Do you own that CD? How much of that music has actually remained in the movie? Frankly I was never much impressed with Blake's composition. The music by Queen was always dominant in my memory.

I have a CDR of Blake's score, which I like a lot, I've never really bothered to work out what's left in and what's not, it's one of those films that's so enjoyable I always get sucked in, Queen's contribution is superb too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can see why. The girl in the photo looks like she needs quite high maintenance.

:shrug: :lust:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    "Cloud Atlas": Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

You'll love it when you see the film. It's brilliant.

Ah! So you've seen the film? Did I miss something in the recent viewing thread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jack Reacher - Joe Kraemer

An enjoyable, old-school thriller score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012
    Star Trek TOS : La La LAnd Box Set

Up to disc 4 of Season One and all I can say is WOW! So much to take in! So much to go!
  11. Atham wrote
    Star Trek TOS : La La LAnd Box Set

Up to disc 4 of Season One and all I can say is WOW! So much to take in! So much to go!

You are a lot more disciplined that I am: I started off playing from disc 1 but then dived straight into my favourite scores and the ones that I was looking forward to hearing the ones that I had not heard before!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012
    Well, my main focus was disc 3, the Fred Steiner material. Fabulous stuff! But it's all good!