• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    When listening to the score, inside and outside the film, I couldn't but help but think of Southall's comment that when 'A' happens on screen, 'A' happens in the music (or something like that). The good parts are really rather good indeed, but the murky stuff does meander somewhat. Certainly not up there with the Lord of The Rings scores, but a nice enough addition to the Tolkien-Shore musical world. (And when a composer belongs to a franchise, you know they've done their job.)

I suspect you two are on to something. Not that shore can't score through the images but when jacksons calling the shots, that's the style that tends to prevail. I saw a bit of return of the king on tv after reading your post and certainly a lot of the scoring in that film is moment to moment commentary. The hour of the three hour score that tended to do more of the montage building is what was used for the initial (very strong) album.

It made me wonder whether the best film music albums for me are the ones where the score is less incidental in the first place.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Still on Godzilla. Who knew that one of the most powerful vocal pieces I would ever hear would come from a film about a radioactive dinosaur?
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Patrick Doyle

I'm not a big fan of Doyle on the whole but I do enjoy this score. The long "Voldemort" cue is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

In my all time top 10 and also one of the greatest film scores ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. So far, today has been a day of pure luxury, for Christmas preparations are almost done, others family members occupied with their own affairs … That kept me at leisure to put on my earphones and just listen to film music all day.

That was accompanied with some reading: Ian M. Banks: “The Algebraist”. But mostly I just closed my eyes and made up scenes of fancy films that would fit the music.

Here is what I listened to:

“Kingdom of Heaven”, by Harry Gregson Williams. Amazingly I envisioned fragments of a new “Dune” adaptation while listening to this music. Probably the Arabic flavoured music reminded me of the Fremen.

“The Tudors, Season 4” by Trevor Morris. I love this score! Something in this music moves me deeply. I feel like swimming in warm water mentally when listening to it!

“Merlin” by Trevor Jones: Great fantasy / TV scoring, but it is topped by

“The Mists of Avalon” by Lee Holdrige. This is simply one of the greatest TV scores ever done.

Things were wrapped up with

“Camelot” by the Danna Brothers. My inner eye flew over Salisbury Plain, the Hill, the gone Cathedral and Stonehenge nearby. cool

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012 edited
    Some good plays there Volker, in particular I really like Lee Holdridge's Mists of Avalon.

NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS - Howard Shore

I think you all know it, not much else to say except Superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Grinch James Horner

Well, to be more accurate, just the one track 'The Sleigh Of Presents'. Classic Horner for this festive season.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle

First listen. It's okay. The quieter moments are the most impressive. The action music is more along the lines of what Doyle did for Thor (and not to my taste). I get that the chuggling string lines, simplistic themes and the static harmonies of the RC school are the "in" thing these days for blockbusters but does it really have to permeate everything? At least Doyle uses woodwinds.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Josh B wrote
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle

First listen. It's okay. The quieter moments are the most impressive. The action music is more along the lines of what Doyle did for Thor (and not to my taste). I get that the chuggling string lines, simplistic themes and the static harmonies of the RC school are the "in" thing these days for blockbusters but does it really have to permeate everything? At least Doyle uses woodwinds.

Agree, it's irritated me for a long time now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TORA! TORA! TORA! - Jerry Goldsmith

Marvellous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dans La Maison Phillipe Rombi

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a Desplat score. It's very good.
  4. Brian Tyler - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

A very decent game score, much better than whatever Zimmer and his cohorts did for the same franchise earlier, with one exception I'll explain later (though I frankly thought it was impossible).

The score is mostly fun, though yet again Tyler made a tad too long album (cutting 10-15 minutes would make it better rounded). What is very interesting is that, and I wrote it in my review. Tyler writes a score of his own, with his own heavy metal references, some other Zimmer references thrown in the mix (at one point a Batman-like ostinato crops up, but it fits the soundscape, just as it does in Battle: LA, but there I find it somehow more "offensive" to my ears, though I understand temp-track love and I still think that Tyler likes it as a way of giving homages to composers he looks up to), but working very well as a sequel to the previous two scores in the series. The heavy metal references bring to an interesting thing I have to say about Tyler and I hope Demetris will butt in later or at least those more aware of Tyler's style.

Zimmer basically orchestrated what was popular in form of the 1980 rock. While Tyler tends to refer to the general sound of what Hans tended to do in the mid-90s, but mostly to the anthemic construction of thematic material, Tyler takes the "pop" influences to another level by basically orchestrating heavy metal. In both cases it's not, by any means, a disadvantage. It's just getting personal influences, which are perfectly OK. The experience that shaped them as a musician. I had that thought for a while now and while I still think that Tyler's personal style isn't very strong (prevailing mostly in rhythmic patterns rather than anything else). Those rhythmic patterns are what makes Brian Tyler who he is and I will gladly admit that it can be very, very exciting when he writes an action cue and obviously, gives his music a big sense of structure.

This score is basically a sort of a Tyler compilation, it's his action music at its purest and nothing else could ever be expected from it. There are some interesting self-references (a rhythm/motif from Eagle Eye crops up once, some earlier rhythmic patterns). There is a rather cliche Russian theme (Russian Deliberations), which works quite cool, also in the game (a great actioner). He did what he was asked for and perhaps more. They wanted a modern Hollywood action movie for a game action epic (not everyday you can witness the Eiffel Tower collapse, can you?) While I'd make the album shorter, there is also a very notable omission, which is the game finale, a wonderfully dissonant, brutal and gritty action motif that leads to a soft release of the main theme for a solo clarinet with a dark string base. There is a bootleg already, so I "revindicated" those cues (it's *not* in Arabian Endgame) and I guess it didn't find its way on the album, because of not being "fun" enough. When I heard those cues (working *wonders* in context) in game and realized they are NOT on the album I got very angry, I must say, that's the kind of music I'd like to hear more from Brian Tyler (and in a different soundscape Far Cry 3 goes in that direction).

The weakest point of the album is the main theme, really. It's very, very weak. I thought that Zimmer's main theme for Modern Warfare 2 (a more simplistic anthem than anything he EVER wrote, even King Arthur) was the worst thing that could melodically happen to the franchise... Well, Brian Tyler did the impossible. A very decent and exciting action score, pretty brainless in the end, but with a weak main theme, which should have been better.

And after a year of experience of my own learning, I have to state this very strongly: Brian Tyler is an *amazing* drummer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

I love the Bane theme. It's part of what made him so compelling in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    Star Trek TOS: 15 CD Box Set

Arrived today. What a nice Christmas gift (to myself)!
    Only heard disc one so far but Wow! Stellar sound!
    Wonderful liner notes and packaging too!
    Totally worth every cent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Rise of the Panet of the Apes - Patrick Doyle

I enjoy this score!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Very insightful post, I love it when you do these long analyses.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    The Last Legion - Patrick Doyle

Epic!

Next: Eragon
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Queimada - Ennio Morricone

Was reminded by the phenomenal rendition of Aboliçao in Antwerpen on Saturday that I hadn't listened to this score in ages!!!!
    Damn, this is fine!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

AWESOME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams

Outstanding score!

This and Memoirs of a Geisha are my favorite scores by John Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote

Outstanding score!

More than other JW scores? Interesting picks though I doubt many others would feel that way despite both of these being very fine scores smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed! As good as those scores are, they don't hold a menorah to, say, Schindler's List (to name but one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

Outstanding score!

More than other JW scores? Interesting picks though I doubt many others would feel that way despite both of these being very fine scores smile

Yes, because these two scores moves me more than other John Williams' scores like Star Wars, Superman, Jurassic Park etc...
    This kind of dramatic and emotional music is the reason why I love film music and it is by far my favorite genre as opposed to action/adventure genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Schindler's List is very high on my list, too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    War Horse John Williams

'Dartmoor 1912', 'No Man's Land', 'Remembering Emilie, And Finale' and 'The Homecoming' would make a very nice suite. Wonderful stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tsunagu - Naoki Sato

Very elegant, lovely music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Star Trek TOS: 15 CD Box Set

Arrived today. What a nice Christmas gift (to myself)!
    Only heard disc one so far but Wow! Stellar sound!
    Wonderful liner notes and packaging too!
    Totally worth every cent!

NEEEEEEERD!!!!

Which, incidentally, makes you very cool in my eyes. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    War Horse John Williams

'Dartmoor 1912', 'No Man's Land', 'Remembering Emilie, And Finale' and 'The Homecoming' would make a very nice suite. Wonderful stuff.

I agree! cool

NP : SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

Thanks to Cristian I really fancied playing this lovely score. Nice to see it seems to be a John Williams day for some of us. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote

NP : SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

Thanks to Cristian I really fancied playing this lovely score. Nice to see it seems to be a John Williams day for some of us. beer

beer