• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

More scores like this please!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

It's sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POP (John Williams)

An iTunes playlist with everything I own of Williams' more pop-oriented songs and instrumentals from 1957 to today. 2 hours of fun! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Far Cry 3 - Brian Tyler

Parts of this score, the theme especially, reminds me so much of Kick Ass. The album works rather well. It's mostly electronic and percussive, as can be expected, and sounds really good in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

It's sublime.

It deserves (or at least will deserve) classic status. I really do think it's that good. This and Un Homme et Son Chien - which I slightly prefer over Angel.
  1. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

It's sublime.

It deserves (or at least will deserve) classic status. I really do think it's that good. This and Un Homme et Son Chien - which I slightly prefer over Angel.

I agree with everything all of you just said.
  2. NP: Zero Dark Thirty (Desplat)

If you're into the more SYRIANA-side of this composer, this is a good one. Works for me, but not quite one of his great albums.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

It's sublime.

That's the first Rombi score I bought and I can't disagree with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Having a bit of a TV themes evening (whilst reading through all the FSM posts related to the Star Trek Box) and there have been some good selections being played. Themes from:

The Six Million Dollar Man - Oliver Nelson
    Monkey - Godiego
    Kojak - Billy Goldenberg
    The Streets of San Francisco - Patrick Williams
    The High Chaparral - Harry Sukman
    Space: 1999 - Barry Gray
    The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe - Robert Mellin / Gian-Pieri Reverberi

So far, not much recent stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Angel - Philippe Rombi

Masterpiece!

It's sublime.

That's the first Rombi score I bought and I can't disagree with you.

There isn't a Rombi score which isn't that in fact wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Having a bit of a TV themes evening (whilst reading through all the FSM posts related to the Star Trek Box) and there have been some good selections being played. Themes from:

The Six Million Dollar Man - Oliver Nelson
    Monkey - Godiego
    Kojak - Billy Goldenberg
    The Streets of San Francisco - Patrick Williams
    The High Chaparral - Harry Sukman
    Space: 1999 - Barry Gray
    The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe - Robert Mellin / Gian-Pieri Reverberi

So far, not much recent stuff.

Thanks for the nudge, I'm gonna play Silva's Robinson Crusoe release today. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE - Robert Mellin & Gian-Pieri Reverberi

Nostalgic feel good scores don't come much better than this one for me. love
  4. Innocent and carefree Saturday morning/school holiday scoring!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Innocent and carefree Saturday morning/school holiday scoring!

And great memories for me cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Seeing as it's a fact that the world is ending tomorrow I'm going to play only the greatest of music, or at least my own personal favourites...

THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

cool love
  5. yeah
  6. So, a few days ago we had a little chat about Tim Burton's "Batman" of 1989 and Elfman's great score and how it all compares to Nolan's "Dark Knight" here at Main Titles ...

Anyway, this prompted me to listen again (a) to Elfman's "Batman" and (b) to Zimmer / Howard's "Batman Begins". To the latter I hadn't listened in nearly two years, since it did nothing for me upon its release. I was astonished how my perception had changed in the meantime for I liked it quite a bit now.

When I mentioned that, Erik stated that he preferred "The Dark Knight" score.

Now, today I strolled through a CD shop, glancing casually at the film music offerings and - what do you say! - "The Dark Knight" CD was sitting there, screaming "Buy me! Buy me!". Of cause I had to come to the rescue of that poor litle CD, didn't I?

So later on, tonight I'll give it a listen.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

AWESOME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow Edward Shearmur

Shearmur is surely one of film music's greatest tragedies. sad This is a truly great score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Shearmur is surely one of film music's greatest tragedies. sad This is a truly great score.

The fact that he came into an age where RC/MV clones rule, yes, that is a tragedy.
  7. NP: The hobbit (Howard shore)

It will take off for brief moments but in between and for the large part what we have can be described as the grimmest minimalism I can remember. Endless sets of three grim notes here and four dour notes there. Those who are into this probably have good reason to dislike the Neil Finn song but it's a rare heart warming oasis for me amidst all this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited
    NP: Ludwig II - Bruno Coulais

I know nothing more about this score other than it has its premier in Germany at the end of December - and from the fact is has "Ludwig" in the title (some classical music references?) and the cover seems to suggest some sort of historical drama (biographical drama imdb.com suggests).

So far it's not the classically-oriented scoring I was expecting from the above. It's certainly orchestral but (so) far it's more rhythmic ostinato with ominous orchestral flavours with more classical music interludes (including choir).

It's worth a listen if you get the chance.

[Edit] Here's a link to the film's website: http://wwws.warnerbros.de/ludwigii/
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Ludwig II - Bruno Coulais

I know nothing more about this score other than it has its premier in Germany at the end of December - and from the fact is has "Ludwig" in the title (some classical music references?) and the cover seems to suggest some sort of historical drama (biographical drama imdb.com suggests).

So far it's not the classically-oriented scoring I was expecting from the above. It's certainly orchestral but (so) far it's more rhythmic ostinato with ominous orchestral flavours with more classical music interludes (including choir).

It's worth a listen if you get the chance.

[Edit] Here's a link to the film's website: http://wwws.warnerbros.de/ludwigii/

It's a biopic about Ludwig II of Bavaria. (The King who built Schloss Schwanstein.) Late 19th century.

Luchino Visconti did a similar film back in 1972, starring Helmut Berger as Ludwig. Visconti used classical music back then. (Beethoven, Wagner)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    So, a few days ago we had a little chat about Tim Burton's "Batman" of 1989 and Elfman's great score and how it all compares to Nolan's "Dark Knight" here at Main Titles ...

Anyway, this prompted me to listen again (a) to Elfman's "Batman" and (b) to Zimmer / Howard's "Batman Begins". To the latter I hadn't listened in nearly two years, since it did nothing for me upon its release. I was astonished how my perception had changed in the meantime for I liked it quite a bit now.

When I mentioned that, Erik stated that he preferred "The Dark Knight" score.

Now, today I strolled through a CD shop, glancing casually at the film music offerings and - what do you say! - "The Dark Knight" CD was sitting there, screaming "Buy me! Buy me!". Of cause I had to come to the rescue of that poor litle CD, didn't I?

So later on, tonight I'll give it a listen.

Cheers!
    Volker

The whole trilogy is incredible IMO, one to stick around for years for sure, like his potc scores. Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The hobbit (Howard shore)

It will take off for brief moments but in between and for the large part what we have can be described as the grimmest minimalism I can remember. Endless sets of three grim notes here and four dour notes there. Those who are into this probably have good reason to dislike the Neil Finn song but it's a rare heart warming oasis for me amidst all this.

Have you seen the film? Not up there with his lotr classic scores but still very, very impressive and works wonders in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Along with Cliff Eidelman. I do not know where to blame this...pure pr? Bad temper? Bad luck Brian-itis?
  9. Demetris wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The hobbit (Howard shore)

Have you seen the film? Not up there with his lotr classic scores but still very, very impressive and works wonders in it.

No I haven't. I'm just someone with 2 CDs, trying to enjoy them. Film isn't out yet here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    When listening to the score, inside and outside the film, I couldn't but help but think of Southall's comment that when 'A' happens on screen, 'A' happens in the music (or something like that). The good parts are really rather good indeed, but the murky stuff does meander somewhat. Certainly not up there with the Lord of The Rings scores, but a nice enough addition to the Tolkien-Shore musical world. (And when a composer belongs to a franchise, you know they've done their job.)

The film I thought was excellent. I have no intention of reading the book, and I'm no big fan of fantasy epics - but this I enjoyed. Probably more so than The Lord Of The Rings. And the special effects are stunning. On a purely visual level, this film obliterates anything I've seen this year.
  10. Today it occurred to me that I have in my possession three Star Trek CDs by GNP from my very early collecting days, that I never ripped to my media library:

"Encounter at Farpoint" by Dennis McCarthy. The score of the first episode. It's solid TV scoring, but the true musical voice of TNG has jet to be established. My hihglight: "Admiral". Dr. McCoy's cameo with Data shatters me everytime I see that scene. So does the music that goes with it.
    "Treat her like a lady and she will always bring you home."

"Star Trek The Next Generation" featuring music by Dennis McCarthy from the episodes "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Unification" and "Hollow Pursuits". Here McCarthy's music comes into full force. "Unification" is my favourite TNG episode!

"The Best of Both Worlds" by Ron Jones. Wow! That episode might have been a cinematic feature! It feels, looks and sounds cinematic. Star Trek has spawned many great TV scores, but Ron Jones' music for TBoBW might just be the Crown Jewel.

Cheers!
    Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

One of my top 10 of all time.