• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012
    NP: Skyfall - Thomas Newman

I really wanted to like it. There are many competent, sometime churning, action tracks, good suspense cues, and okay softer cues. I should have liked it more. But in the end, I didn't enjoy it. It feels so anonymous and generic at time, that I've lost complete interest by the last 1/4 of of the album. The writing style for the action tracks are so divergent from one to another that I couldn't believe that they all came from one person. Par for the course, of course, but nothing in the album told me that Thomas Newman contributed anything new to the franchise. Whatever Thomas Newman-y thing in this score is minimal compared to the many David Arnold-esque styling that was essayed. Done well, of course, but a second hand copy, nonetheless.

The most egregious thing that was done, or not done, is the omission of a full statement of the 007/James Bond theme. Sure you get snippets here and there and those are interpolated into the score. That's fine, expected even. I did enjoy hearing it being sneaked in here and there. But to not have one full iteration of the iconic theme was a miscalculation. For that, this album is more akin to Eric Serra's GoldenEye score. It has all the requisite ingredients, but none of the sparks that makes it unique or enticing option for extended repeat listening.

As of now, on album, Thomas' score is an unmemorable entry into a long running franchise full of good and exceptional ones. But seems like this hasn't affected the effectiveness of the movie's story. Looking forward to hearing it in context.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GHOST STORY - Philippe Sarde

Wonderful Herrmanesque ( in bits ) score, great stuff.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Wonder Woman - Christopher Drake

I like it, thank you, Thomas wink

One of the greatest comic book film scores ever composed! I can't recommend this score highly enough!

Here's my poorly written review.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/review-wonder-woman/

Hear an extended suite on my radio show HERE!

-Erik-

Indeed, this score is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Sweeney - Lorne Balfe

I've only listened to half of it so far, it's so long I'm treating it as 2 CDs. I really like what I am hearing though. It is indeed a lot like Inception. Sort of halfway between that and a Powell Bourne score, though of course not as complex as something Powell would write. It makes very nice ambient background music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. NP: Pantheon - Zaalen Tallis

I know nothing more than it says in the digital booklet that accompanies this download. Pantheon is a "concept score" to accompany the story of a human race on the brink of total destruction at the hands of a powerful natural force.

It's a catchy little score, sounds completely synth in origin and sounds really good. Full of energy from the start it is punctuated with some slower-paced pieces to break up the relentless forward momentum of the score.

Well worth bringing to the attention of a wider audience, here's some clips:

https://itunes.apple.com/album/pantheon … mpt=uo%3D1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Lo Imposible (Fernando Velasquez)

Like Orfanato, this is a fairly emotional work. Given that film's plot and the general grief on display here, it makes me wonder whether a key character in this one might -- along with the audience -- not realise they're dead. Almost Morricone level of sentiment in the finale. Probably would be too rich for me while watching the film, but a nice listen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Lo Imposible (Fernando Velasquez)

Like Orfanato, this is a fairly emotional work. Given that film's plot and the general grief on display here, it makes me wonder whether a key character in this one might -- along with the audience -- not realise they're dead. Almost Morricone level of sentiment in the finale. Probably would be too rich for me while watching the film, but a nice listen.

Don't you ever feel like just letting yourself go, franz? Not just adher to clinical coolness in terms of emotional response in films and music?

Personally, I enjoy stark realism and grittiness and somberness and all that too, but sometimes I want to go way-out with a straight-out Hollywood melodrama in some form or fashion (including the action genre). Otherwise, I would be bored out of my mind.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, let the emotion take you away with it, drift away. Love it when it happens, not often though, but still.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Lo Imposible (Fernando Velasquez)

Don't you ever feel like just letting yourself go, franz? Not just adher to clinical coolness in terms of emotional response in films and music?

I don't know if taste is any argument, but here's some favourite films, which I've returned to many times:

Last of the Mohicans
    Chungking Express
    Moonrise Kingdom (ok, I've only seen it once, but the romance and the whimsy were gorgeous)
    F for Fake
    Groundhog Day
    Bridesmaids (just trying to think of a recent film that managed to be funny throughout its length)
    Roadhouse (so bad it's a masterpiece -- Milius's Conan and Farewell to the King didn't manage to be this bad)
    Bakshi's Lord of the Rings (yes... it's still good for a laugh)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Insider (it's great to just feel what Crowe's character goes through)

Were these meant to be bad films? There's a couple of those there, but most are probably good. All of them full of moments where it's a pleasure, without embarrassment, to let go. In a lot of cases, to have fun. (I don't mind letting go in a more disciplined film either, but they're often as much for the head as for the heart, and it's different kind of satisfaction that results.) So I'm capable of emotion, don't worry. More capable than many whose lives revolve around films, I feel.

Now there's no Die Hard's there. Or Terminators. Or Bond films. Or Star Wars films. I'll enjoy them all probably if they pop up on tv -- and probably see all at least once or twice in life. Which might just be all they're worth, unless you really relish them. (Can't say I've seen ET the whole way through in one sitting actually.) I should check out Shawshank Redemption again. Darabont can definitely do melodrama.

But I take it my emotional response to Velasquez's music is insufficient? Music is so subjective. It's moving, yes. Have I never felt this way before? No. Can I remember the last time a piece of music touched me the same way, and what it was? Yes. And perhaps all those things mean that while it's lovely, it's not given me something I haven't felt somewhere else before, and more intensely.

As to whether I like it in the film, that's another issue, and one that gets weighed down by what the film is trying to tackle. It's hard to think of a film like this that had as many emotional highs as this movie sounds like it has (going by the music), and pulled them all off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote
    The most egregious thing that was done, or not done, is the omission of a full statement of the 007/James Bond theme. Sure you get snippets here and there and those are interpolated into the score. That's fine, expected even. I did enjoy hearing it being sneaked in here and there. But to not have one full iteration of the iconic theme was a miscalculation. For that, this album is more akin to Eric Serra's GoldenEye score. It has all the requisite ingredients, but none of the sparks that makes it unique or enticing option for extended repeat listening.

Yeah, it's good music, but the lack of any thematic coherency is disappointing. Not that that is unusual for a Newman score...most of the Newman scores I have seem to save their big melodic moments for the climax, and I guess this film doesn't have that sort of climax.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat

Second spin of the day! Bloody magnificent! Easily one of the best scores of the year! Wow! Within about a week or so 2012 is shaping up to be a pretty solid year after all! One excellent score after another!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Moses - Ennio Morricone

I sound like a right puff for saying it, but truly, Morricone's music touches my soul unlike anyone else's. This is just incredible music. I reduced the double CD back down to the original 55-minute LP and it's an amazing listening experience (can't believe I haven't thought of doing that before). Of all the film composers, his is the body of work that I think could consistently stand against any of his contemporaries in any field (not just film), but given the obscure nature of the films the music accompanies, that there's still so much of it completely unreleased (just one of his last twelve scores has actually been released on CD - eleven of Henry Jackman's last twelve scores have been released on CD) and barely any of it has ever or will ever be heard in concert - well, I'm sure he will never really be given his due outside of his loyal fanbase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

Yeah, it's good music, but the lack of any thematic coherency is disappointing. Not that that is unusual for a Newman score...most of the Newman scores I have seem to save their big melodic moments for the climax, and I guess this film doesn't have that sort of climax.

The score have this by-the-number feel to it. I mean, most Bond scores have the same prerequisites, and this doesn't fail in delivering the same type of prereqs. But it feels very generic and, given Thomas Newman's track record, completely conventional.
  4. Southall wrote
    Moses - Ennio Morricone

I sound like a right puff for saying it, but truly, Morricone's music touches my soul unlike anyone else's. This is just incredible music. I reduced the double CD back down to the original 55-minute LP and it's an amazing listening experience (can't believe I haven't thought of doing that before). Of all the film composers, his is the body of work that I think could consistently stand against any of his contemporaries in any field (not just film), but given the obscure nature of the films the music accompanies, that there's still so much of it completely unreleased (just one of his last twelve scores has actually been released on CD - eleven of Henry Jackman's last twelve scores have been released on CD) and barely any of it has ever or will ever be heard in concert - well, I'm sure he will never really be given his due outside of his loyal fanbase.

I agree that the core of MOSES is extremely moving. How do you find all the semi-aleatoric stuff though? I find that some of the most challenging music I've heard on a film music album, and it's rare I could go the whole album with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A lot of that material is lost by reducing to a single CD. It is certainly extremely challenging - but rewarding too, I think, given time. "The Ten Plagues" (only the first part of which is on the single CD) is extraordinary. Mixed in with a handful of renditions of that magnificent theme, it's easier to take than when it dominates (as on the double CD).
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012 edited
    Aliens - James Horner

Returning to this score after a few years of not listening to it, I'm surprised how ballsy the action parts really are (the second half of Futile Escape, Ripley's Rescue, Going After Newt, Bishop's Countdown and the first minute of Resolution and Hyperspace). I'm sure Horner tried to do the best he could in the time available & the direction given.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. Southall wrote
    A lot of that material is lost by reducing to a single CD. It is certainly extremely challenging - but rewarding too, I think, given time. "The Ten Plagues" (only the first part of which is on the single CD) is extraordinary. Mixed in with a handful of renditions of that magnificent theme, it's easier to take than when it dominates (as on the double CD).

It is the double disc I have. Is the single disc an official release or your own concoction?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just looked at the tracklist of the original LP on Soundtrackcollector and concocted from that.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

It is the double disc I have. Is the single disc an official release or your own concoction?

The double disc.

Oops, never mind.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  6. NP: Safe House - Ramin Djawadi

Some of this is actually not that bad! Typical for the genre, but not that bad.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

I find Horner's music for this to be pretty poor as a stand-alone listen. And I can't see it grabbing anyone's attention who watched the film. Shouldn't this sort of score have a killer theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I thought Horner's theme was much more powerful than Elfman's thingie. But I'm biased.
  8. Scribe wrote
    I thought Horner's theme was much more powerful than Elfman's thingie.

Really?

I think that Horner's style today doesn't lend itself well to this type of genre. He's more suited for those films that demand sweeping melodic lines. IMO.
  9. From these posts I derive:

FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner
    I find Horner's music for this to be pretty poor as a stand-alone listen. And I can't see it grabbing anyone's attention who watched the film. Shouldn't this sort of score have a killer theme?

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that Horner's style today doesn't lend itself well to this type of genre. He's more suited for those films that demand sweeping melodic lines. IMO.

"Killer theme" does not equal "sweeping melodic lines"?
  10. It's remarkable, I remember a time when some people would say "Spider-Man" had no theme, but now we've moved on from that to Horner's being better than Elfman's.

I'll easily take Elfman's any day.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. But that's the golden rule of film scoring -- and most else besides. The older thing is always better. Everything gets old, so it all gets better from someone's point of view.
  12. The older thing is always better.

I'll take the hot college girl over the senior center grandma, though. And I'll also take fresh bread over molded, rock-hard bread.

Yeah, yeah, I knew what you meant.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. justin boggan wrote
    The older thing is always better.

I'll take the hot college girl over the senior center grandma, though. And I'll also take fresh bread over molded, rock-hard bread.

Yeah, yeah, I knew what you meant.

Ah, but does fresh bread taste as good as fresh bread used to? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Horner's Spiderman is top-scoring. Quit nagging wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Every time that Goddamn four-note motif pops up I... I... I just want to.... suicide

-Erik-

Come on Erik....don't lie to yourself anymore. You LOVE the four note motif!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you