• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013
    I quite liked them all Alan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I quite liked them all Alan.

Goodness!
    It's seems a while since I posted anything interesting enough for anyone to comment on. wink

I really like them - though one of the rock/metal ones does tend to go off on a tangent towards the end of their track. Tiersen's theme is so strong that I think that it stands up to these different versions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The one that's kind of Mike Oldfield style guitar?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Islands in the Stream - Jerry Goldsmith

Not terribly familiar with this score but man, that Marlin megacue is a beast. It's shaped just like a concert piece, with a true beginning, middle and end. I can't imagine how it works as a film score but if anyone could pull it off, it's Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You are quite right Josh. The Marlin cue is a fantastic composition! I might just put it on now. It's been a while!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    From the composer of the beautiful Desert Flower, Martin Todsharow, comes another odd indie film, Kokowääh2, co-composed with Dirk Reichardt. With lovely piano melodies and beautiful modern ambiance with pop elements. If you like this style then be sure to check this out and also his more middle-eastern score for Desert Flower.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Timmer wrote
    The one that's kind of Mike Oldfield style guitar?

The 5-minute Darkseed effort. If you YouTube the last guy's name you can see the unusual instrument he uses. It seems that track is just one instrument.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NIGHTBREED (Danny Elfman)

Dark, occasionally noisy, brooding -- but always tongue-in-cheek, the perfect 'burlesque'. It's a score that divides people, but I like it when I'm in the mood.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013 edited
    NP:X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman

Someone on my Twitter feed proclaimed Jackman's Magneto Theme (which is not a theme, "it's a f*****ing baseline!"*) as one of the greatest bad guy theme in the past 10 years. I couldn't remember a lick of it so I thought I'd revisit the score.

Acorrding to iTunes I never did get through the entire album. And in June of 2011 I made the following statement. "That opening track is impressive! The rest is poo!" shocked

-Erik-

PS - I do like the Magneto "baseline" though.

*Henry Jackman on the X-Men First Class Blu-Ray
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah, Jackman said he wrote a full theme and the director was like "ew no get that stupid melody out of there, I just want the beginning part". crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, you know what? I'd rather listen to the audio from The Empire Strikes Back, which my son is watching right now upstairs, over X-Men First Class. This is indeed pants!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Danny Elfman)

Second only to JURASSIC PARK as the soundtrack I've played the most over the years. Probably.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

Great stuff! I haven't heard the score to the new film but I bet it's not as good as this ( though that's opposite of the film itself which I hear is not bad at all )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Yeah, Jackman said he wrote a full theme and the director was like "ew no get that stupid melody out of there, I just want the beginning part". crazy

Yeah there was a nice video about it (interview) but can't find it anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: God of War: Ascension - Tyler Bates

It's loud, incessant and not very original. But I am enjoying the hell out of it!

Shoot me now.

You know what? I won't shoot you 'cause this is - although heavily unoriginal - quite good! Goddamnit it the day that i liked a Tyler Bates score has arrived! omg

Scribe wrote
    The only Tyler Bates I've enjoyed were the things he didn't write in 300.

Maybe you will like his GOW score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

Great stuff! I haven't heard the score to the new film but I bet it's not as good as this ( though that's opposite of the film itself which I hear is not bad at all )

The remade Dredd film is exceptional. Imaginative visual style, superb special effects, mind-blowing sound design, simple story and amazing action! The film could have benefited from a Goldsmith Total Recallesque score instead it got an all out electronic score, which actually added a lot of much need tension. Unfortunately, it's in the action material that left much to be desired. Generic , overly simple music with zero sense of drama just laid over the scene without matching any of the visuals.

Anyway, I hope there is a sequel! Lots can be done with this character!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Super Atragon - Masamichi Amano

This is indeed super!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes I remember that video ( probably because Jackman said his ditched theme had a cool Barryesque sound to it rolleyes )

i also remember a bit of conversation between a few of us at the time that suggested jackman was...*ahem* a bit "high" during that interview.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote

Yes I remember that video ( probably because Jackman said his ditched theme had a cool Barryesque sound to it rolleyes )

i also remember a bit of conversation between a few of us at the time that suggested jackman was...*ahem* a bit "high" during that interview.

(or in all of his videos wink )
  3. "Event Horizon" by Michael Kamen and Orbital.
    With the mail today arrived a used copy in mint condition. Although I was never a techno kid I must say that the blend of orchestral and synth layers works amazingly well here.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    "Event Horizon" by Michael Kamen and Orbital.
    With the mail today arrived a used copy in mint condition. Although I was never a techno kid I must say that the blend of orchestral and synth layers works amazingly well here.

Cheers!
    Volker

I like this one a lot, very moody and dark score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Just finished listening to that one as well. IMO, it's a brilliant score and one of the most grossly under appreciated scores out there! I recently revisited the film as well. It's unfortunate that the film's final act was so terrible because the build up was exceptional, the ideas being floated around in the screenplay were inspired and visuals were superb.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry (and Joel) Goldsmith

Looks like this is going to be the week of Jerry. I've always been an admirer of this score for one of my favorite Trek films. Great theme, entertaining action music and a killer of a finale cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013
    Hear hear on EVENT HORIZON, it's my favourite score of his.
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

Just because I felt like it. The anger, the desperation heard in the score. I believe that the score really makes up for any performance issues that Stallone might have had in the movie, it's basically creating the world of a post-traumatic Vietnam veteran trying to deal with reality. I think the psychological aspect of the score is largely overlooked, because it's just regarded as an amazing action score, that it is. The details of the performance especially in tracks like Hanging On (as per the Intrada release, I can't listen to the original program since I know the complete and chronological release) are just mesmerizing. Great concept showcasing Jerry Goldsmith's intelligence at its best.

In hindsight, I think it ends up to be my favorite action score from Jerry. Yes, I know Part II is more fun and Total Recall is a classic, but this is the one I return to the most.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLOUD ATLAS - Tom Tykwer - Johnny Klimek - Reinhold Heil

Lloyd says it best....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

Just because I felt like it. The anger, the desperation heard in the score. I believe that the score really makes up for any performance issues that Stallone might have had in the movie, it's basically creating the world of a post-traumatic Vietnam veteran trying to deal with reality. I think the psychological aspect of the score is largely overlooked, because it's just regarded as an amazing action score, that it is. The details of the performance especially in tracks like Hanging On (as per the Intrada release, I can't listen to the original program since I know the complete and chronological release) are just mesmerizing. Great concept showcasing Jerry Goldsmith's intelligence at its best.

In hindsight, I think it ends up to be my favorite action score from Jerry. Yes, I know Part II is more fun and Total Recall is a classic, but this is the one I return to the most.

I wouldn't say that the thematic undercurrents of this film are underrated. It's a classic film that is often analyzed in academia for just the reasons you cite. Not only as an individual psychological portrait, but as an image of an entire nation's trauma. That it happens to be wrapped in a traditional action setting is a bonus in terms of appeal, of course, but the fact of the matter is that it's quite a subversive film.

The score is one of my Goldsmith favourites; especially the main theme which is one of my alltime fav JG themes. Paints the landscape in music (autumn, drizzle, forested mountainscapes) while at the same hinting at the melancholy and loneliness of John Rambo.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I wonder if the character of Rambo in the first movie has ever been analyzed in context of something that was slowly recognized at the time (actually it was recognized based on research performed on Vietnam veterans in the US), which was a relatively new psychological condition called Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I did a bit of research on the condition, because of reasons I don't want to discuss on a public forum and I watched the movie some time afterwards... Rambo's behavior fits in the pattern, that is particularly to be seen in the scene where Rambo escapes from the police station:

I assume that most of people on this board saw the film, so I won't use the spoiler tags. When he is being mistreated during the whole ordeal on the station he has a flashback of the time he spent in a POW camp. The flashback is short, but very well pronounced (and it's underscored by a dominantly non-thematic cue, the only cue not to use the main rhythmic motif used for the action, a very motoric 5/8-7/8 pattern, even if when he breaks out, Goldsmith quotes the Homecoming theme in a heroic fashion; it gives the scene a sense of a somewhat detached brutality and confusion, both of which realized by the character's actions on screen) and leads to his training to kick in in a somewhat very instinctive matter. During the whole situation, Rambo is hypervigilant, he observes the situation very carefully, constantly assessing potential threat (having read forums for PTSD-diagnosed soldiers, they often speak that when they are in a convenience store they tend to stay in a point where they have all potential exits covered, that's combining the sense of assessing constant threats and tactical thinking that is due to their militrary training; one veteran spoke of a double hypervigilance - coming from his diagnosed condition AND from his training). Then his instinct takes over and he breaks out.

Two major PTSD symptoms appear in the scene and I wonder how much aware they were of what they doing when they were writing and filming the scene: The hypervigilance of the observation (though that one isn't as prevalent visually) and the flashback induced by something (even if vaguely) reminiscent to the original traumatic event. Of course, it was a device to let the viewer know where is Rambo's behavior coming from, but it's also a psychological device. A very good one at that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would say PTSD was explored pretty darn well in the excellent film THE DEER HUNTER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013 edited
    I haven't read any articles with that particular ailment in mind, Pawel, but I wouldn't be surprised if one has been written.
    I am extremely serious.