• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes (especially in the Christopher Walken part of it), it was.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CLOUD ATLAS - Tom Tykwer - Johnny Klimek - Reinhold Heil

Lloyd says it best....

1,000,000 bonus points for Dumb and Dumber reference!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I would say PTSD was explored pretty darn well in the excellent film THE DEER HUNTER.

yeah

While I find First Blood's score to be one of Goldsmith finest (in fact it being my second favourite score of his), I find the film, while not as laughably awful as most critics found it when it first came out, FAR from a "classic". It's a very simple, violent and often quite ridiculous action thriller. Not bad, but lord, it ain't good (even if it has Brian Dennehy, my all-time favourite B-movie "heavy" ).

It *is* interesting to see that the film somehow has gained a much broader critical acclaim with the passing of years.
    I don't find that entirely deserved. It was neither novel, insightful, ground breaking or particularly believable.
    I loved Leonard Maltin's review at the time, stating " A kewpie doll to anyone who can understand more than three words of Sly's final monologue.", which was pretty much what I had been thinking after the movie ended!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was listening to the beautiful track, "Comptine d'Un Autre Été: L'après Midi", from Yann Tiersen's Amélie earlier and I was wondering if there were any interesting covers or re-interpretations of this track. I was really just wondering initially if there were any other piano version worth listening to to compliment the original.

And then I came across the following 3 versions (I don't tend to like different versions of originals in my music but each of these versions of "Comptine d'Un Autre Été: L'après Midi" are somehow compelling):

Old 7 Years version

Darkseed version

Japhlet Bire Attias version

Anyone have any comments about any of the versions?

I rather like the Old 7 Years version as it takes a very straightforward electric guitar approach. It's a very good version and executed quite virtuosically (which is not a word). The Darkseed version is WAY too Default Emo-Goth (I am dark. You are dark. Let's be dark. Alone. In the dark.) for me, aside from which it sounds sloppy and rushed.
    The Japhlet Bire Attias version started off quite well....but ...it may be the recording, but I can't shake the sense that it's a computer program? It sounds for all the world like the soundtrack to an old Commodore game!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I would say PTSD was explored pretty darn well in the excellent film THE DEER HUNTER.

yeah

While I find First Blood's score to be one of Goldsmith finest (in fact it being my second favourite score of his), I find the film, while not as laughably awful as most critics found it when it first came out, FAR from a "classic". It's a very simple, violent and often quite ridiculous action thriller. Not bad, but lord, it ain't good (even if it has Brian Dennehy, my all-time favourite B-movie "heavy" ).

It *is* interesting to see that the film somehow has gained a much broader critical acclaim with the passing of years.
    I don't find that entirely deserved. It was neither novel, insightful, ground breaking or particularly believable.
    I loved Leonard Maltin's review at the time, stating " A kewpie doll to anyone who can understand more than three words of Sly's final monologue.", which was pretty much what I had been thinking after the movie ended!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

It can be enoyed on several levels -- as a straightforward action thriller or as an actual social/psychological commentary in the guise of an action thriller. If you know the original novel it is based, you'll find that the latter aspect isn't just some farfetched notion.

I love films like this. ALIEN is another example. On the surface a straightforward horror sci fi, but oh, with so much more to offer in terms of audiovisual symbolism. Art film aesthetics and potency inside a mainstream Hollywood narrative. God, I love that.

The RAMBO sequels, however, is another story altogether. If they have any innate values beyond the exploitation, it's in a meta-commentary on pervading Hollywood sentiments at the time they were produced.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. The novel for First Blood is VERY different from the movie based on it. Much to the author's chagrin.

And as to audiovisual symbolism, well, I can see your point for Alien well enough, but in First Blood? uhm
    Thunderer, what have you been smoking????
  2. Acording to Wiki the term PTSD was "coined in the mid 70s" in the aftermath of the Vietnam war. So "The Deer Hunter" and "First Blood" can be seen as part of the general process.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Except it was actually (heartbreakingly) believably portrayed in the former in the sense of character development, psychological insight and actual human relations. The latter just being an ultraviolent action film, much in the range of a whole slew of "Nam Vets with a vengeance" films coming out around that time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Hm. The novel for First Blood is VERY different from the movie based on it. Much to the author's chagrin.

And as to audiovisual symbolism, well, I can see your point for Alien well enough, but in First Blood? uhm
    Thunderer, what have you been smoking????

Sure, there's plenty of the same in FIRST BLOOD -- although more in the thematics than in the actual mise-en-scene. Its position as an object of analysis in academia has proven some of that. But I didn't realize that Morell disliked the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE THIEF OF BAGDAD / THE JUNGLE BOOK (Miklos Rozsa)

"Colourful" is such an overused adjective for Rozsa, but it rarely shines more than here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Sure, there's plenty of the same in FIRST BLOOD -- although more in the thematics than in the actual mise-en-scene. Its position as an object of analysis in academia has proven some of that.

That's always a slippery slope to me: it seems to me that you can always see whatever you want to see. Arguably such thematics could just as poignantly be addressed for such poor and blatant exploitation movies as I Spit On Your Grave or Adios Sabata.
  3. Well, the changes from the novel were much the decision of Stallone, while I haven't read it I know that the novel is basically far more violent (Rambo is actually downright killing people on purpose) and the ending is totally different .
  4. Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

I haven't listened to this one for a longer while. I really like this score. It has a very interesting atmosphere and fits the Ridley Scott film (or I would even say the Ridley Scott type of cinema) like a glove. I love the Japanese elements of the music and the thematic material. The Nick and Masa theme is a modern classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

I haven't listened to this one for a longer while. I really like this score. It has a very interesting atmosphere and fits the Ridley Scott film (or I would even say the Ridley Scott type of cinema) like a glove. I love the Japanese elements of the music and the thematic material. The Nick and Masa theme is a modern classic.

Great score (and highly influential), but I was disappointed by the expanded release. I thought there was lots of cool stuff beyond the suite on the old soundtrack, but there wasn't, really. A couple of things, but that's it. Too much percussive noise, especially that godawful factory cue. So even though I have the whole thing, I'll probably play the ol' one more often in the future (it's good some good songs too).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

It's actually rather horrible wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Born on the Forth of July John Williams

Believe me, there is nothing wrong with being born on the fourth of July. tongue

Anyhow, I had completely forgotten about this score and just listened to it again after I read about it somewhere.

It's an emotional sledgehammer! Vintage Williams!

I need to revisit the film, too. When Tom Cruise was still cool.

Volker
  6. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Born on the Forth of July John Williams

Believe me, there is nothing wrong with being born on the fourth of July. tongue

Anyhow, I had completely forgotten about this score and just listened to it again after I read about it somewhere.

It's an emotional sledgehammer! Vintage Williams!

I need to revisit the film, too. When Tom Cruise was still cool.

Volker

Rather:

When Tom Cruise still could act.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

yeah

Double yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ouch. Can't believe there's all this hate for a score that is so important in film music history. I think the score -- especially in the suite on the ol' soundtrack -- is drop-dead gorgeous and on my alltime Top 10 Zimmer list. Beautiful, beautiful power anthems with an ethnic tinge, which is Zimmer at his very best.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Rain

yeah

Double yeah

Triple yeah (Based soley on the original album.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LONG LIVE BLACK RAIN!!!

bhangra bounce fireworks
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    LONG LIVE BLACK RAIN!!!

bhangra bounce fireworks

To each his own! wave beer kiss
  10. Thor wrote
    Ouch. Can't believe there's all this hate for a score that is so important in film music history...

I just can't see where that statement came from! I need to check all my books on film music history to see just how often it is referred to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Ouch. Can't believe there's all this hate for a score that is so important in film music history...

I just can't see where that statement came from! I need to check all my books on film music history to see just how often it is referred to.

Well, it does get big praise here ...

http://www.amazon.de/Klassiker-Filmmusi … amp;sr=1-2
  12. Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, it does get big praise here ...

http://www.amazon.de/Klassiker-Filmmusi … amp;sr=1-2

Fred Karlin & Rayburn Wright's "On The Track: A Guide To Contemporary Film Scoring" does offer praise for Black Rain:

"...Hans Zimmer added new colors and emphasis to action film scoring with electronics, driving percussion and, guitars...Zimmer recalls, "At the time, I remember, the producers really didn't like what I was doing because it didn't fall into the genre. It wasn't Die Hard or whatever. And I didn't know how to write that. So I nearly got fired. Of course then we finish the movie and the next thing you know, 'Oh, this is a very unusual new way.'"
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd like to know that to.

In another note... A friend of mine got a some sort of film music almanach once and another guy from our website got to the index, to see which composers are mentioned in it. So he goes through the index and suddenly...

Who the FUCK is BORIS POLEDOURIS?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

It's generally considered to be the score that defined the hugely influential power anthem style that became all the rave in the 90's and into the 2000's as well. I love that sound myself, but I can accept that others don't.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I always thought that the score that put the power anthem style in the spotlight was Backdraft rather than Black Rain. Then Hans, after his rise to fame after two big drama scores - Rain Man and Driving Miss Daisy - started to be suddenly an action star.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I always thought that the score that put the power anthem style in the spotlight was Backdraft rather than Black Rain. Then Hans, after his rise to fame after two big drama scores - Rain Man and Driving Miss Daisy - started to be suddenly an action star.

I'm talking about the stylistic seeds, not the spotlight. If 'spotlight' is the criterion, then I would pick CRIMSON TIDE and THE ROCK, which truly popularized the sound. THE ROCK is to that generation's film music fans what STAR WARS was to the generation before.
    I am extremely serious.