• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I appreciate this score because it is almost purely snth! It's a bit like Hans Zimmer meets "Blade Runner". I love his early work, when synths were synths (A World Apart, Rain Man) and orchestra was orchestra (Driving Miss Daisy). Only when he startet to imitate natural instruments with synths, when he would come up with unhuman ostinati, when he would fire all the woodwinds - then I lost my face in the man.

In my opinion, he has never done that. He's never used synths to 'mimic' orchestra nor actually composed much of an orchestral score to begin with. He's always been about using orchestra as COLOUR. His modus operandi is more about chord changes in a prog rock/electronica-type idiom, even when acoustic instruments are present. That's why I feel he's continuously judged by something he's not -- an orchestral composer. A grave error.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor pretty much sums it up. Rather than wondering about beautiful oboe solos in a Hans Zimmer score, what we should think of is how do the orchestra solos sound, but I disagree that it's ALWAYS the case. Hans has written purely orchestral scores in his career with either minimal electronic backdrop (The Thin Red Line by Malick's request) or even none at all (most recent case - Spanglish).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor pretty much sums it up. Rather than wondering about beautiful oboe solos in a Hans Zimmer score, what we should think of is how do the orchestra solos sound, but I disagree that it's ALWAYS the case. Hans has written purely orchestral scores in his career with either minimal electronic backdrop (The Thin Red Line by Malick's request) or even none at all (most recent case - Spanglish).

True, but I would argue that even those are composed from a non-orchestral approach. THIN RED LINE is basically a textural electronic piece that just happens to be heavy on the acoustic instruments. It follows the ebb and flow of what you can hear in a Clint Mansell or Cliff Martinez score today. Or something like Jean Michel Jarre's WAITING FOR COSTEAU.

I have yet to hear an orchestral Zimmer score modelled on the traditional rules of symphonic composition, nor do I think I ever will. That's not what he's about and it's one of the reasons I love him so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think Spanglish, As Good As It Gets and Nine Months are as purely traditional as they can get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think Spanglish, As Good As It Gets and Nine Months are as purely traditional as they can get.

Zimmer in comedy mode is my LEAST favourite aspect of his output, because they don't play up to his strengths, IMO. They tend to get too 'fluffy' as it's really pop music-cum-orchestral -- almost like those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums back in the day. But there are some good moments here and there.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Pity, Spanglish and As Good As It Gets are very personal favourites.

Nine Months is not... And that is definitely a traditional score - he basically rewrote Mozart's Clarinet Concerto biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    Thor wrote
    That's why I feel he's continuously judged by something he's not -- an orchestral composer. A grave error.

I think you're quite right - he's not that. Most of the Zimmer scores I dislike are actually when he tries to be that - when he tries to write for an orchestra in the symphonic style and it ends up all in unison or whatever sounding like the "orchestra" mode on one of those old 1980s keyboards (Pearl Harbour, parts of King Arthur, that sort of thing). It really does end up sounding like one of those "Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plays the songs of Bananarama" albums. When he sticks to what he's good at, he can be great. (None of this has anything to do with his abilities as a film composer, of course, which is something completely different - that's a discussion for a different day.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yeah

It's one of the reasons why I don't like his comedy or light drama scores very much. It's fine if he can rewrite Mozart's clarinet concerto, but I don't think you'll be hearing new grounds in terms of symphonic composition. Nor do I expect him to. Or really want him to.

I want him to continue exploring electronic soundscapes through technological resources and skills -- maybe with acoustic instruments as colour now and then. Or huge orchestras used as a singular element like anything else in the track.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    cool

I haven't listened to it for too long and will get back to it soon. I wonder, what is the selling element (can I say so?) of this score to you? You're quite often critical of Hans' works and yet one of his most electronic scores written in recent times (and gladly finally an "openly" electronic score rather than using electronics to try to fake an orchestral sound; this is simply a soundscape created from scratch using synthesizers ranging from 1960s to the new ones - yes, Hans has used an old Moog to work on Inception!) I just find the respect this (really good, the best work of his since 2001!) score in the skeptic part of this community fascinating smile

The Moog. Hans cites On Her Majesty's Secret Service as an influence and one of the Moogs earliest uses in a film score was in Barry's OHMSS ( if memory serves me correctly there are 3 synths in the OHMSS score ). I've never been against electronic scores but I have been critical of Hans early uses of the medium, basically it just comes down to personal taste and a lot of his early works I don't like at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ICE STATION ZEBRA - Michel Legrand

Fabulous score with great, colourful orchestration.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain, I have to disappoint you...

Driving Miss Daisy is ALL synthesized.

Which shows that I need to revisit that score badly. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    That's why I feel he's continuously judged by something he's not -- an orchestral composer. A grave error.

I think you're quite right - he's not that. Most of the Zimmer scores I dislike are actually when he tries to be that - when he tries to write for an orchestra in the symphonic style and it ends up all in unison or whatever sounding like the "orchestra" mode on one of those old 1980s keyboards (Pearl Harbour, parts of King Arthur, that sort of thing). It really does end up sounding like one of those "Royal Philharmonic Orchestra plays the songs of Bananarama" albums. When he sticks to what he's good at, he can be great. (None of this has anything to do with his abilities as a film composer, of course, which is something completely different - that's a discussion for a different day.)

Not so sure, I mean, some of your highest ratings for a Hans Zimmer album (not a film score, I do agree with you on both accounts regarding Da Vinci Code, except the final piece, the score does make the movie worse, though I think Ron Howard, not the subtlest director ever, to say the least, is partly to blame) are for some of his most "traditionally orchestral works". I mean if we look at the way you rated Spanglish, Da Vinci Code (which has a minimal electronic backdrop reserved mostly for darker action music; ironically Hans revisited and revised one of the sounds from one of the pieces in Why So Serious, actually), Pirates 3, which uses synthesizers for only one cue (Multiple Jacks; also has the problem of making the movie terribly earnest when it shouldn't), then I think you might rate the "more orchestral scores" higher than you think!

Granted, as of now, with the notable exception of The Lion King, your highest ratings are for two largely electronic scores, one even experimental (Black Hawk Down and Inception). I am still waiting for you to review The Thin Red Line smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Da Vinci Code Hans Zimmer

A very good album, but I'm not sure I like it as a score.
  6. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I appreciate this score because it is almost purely snth! It's a bit like Hans Zimmer meets "Blade Runner". I love his early work, when synths were synths (A World Apart, Rain Man) and orchestra was orchestra (Driving Miss Daisy). Only when he startet to imitate natural instruments with synths, when he would come up with unhuman ostinati, when he would fire all the woodwinds - then I lost my face in the man.

In my opinion, he has never done that. He's never used synths to 'mimic' orchestra nor actually composed much of an orchestral score to begin with. He's always been about using orchestra as COLOUR. His modus operandi is more about chord changes in a prog rock/electronica-type idiom, even when acoustic instruments are present. That's why I feel he's continuously judged by something he's not -- an orchestral composer. A grave error.

You know - I believe you are right. There was a time when I thought Hans Zimmer would be the next Vangelis. and when is comes to Inception - he is.

Volker

PS: NP: Inception. Teriffic score!
  7. Timmer wrote

And a long time favourite film fo mine.

(I think we are soulmates, you and I! hug )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Expendables 2 Brian Tyler

A lot of fun. I seem to be very much in the mood for Tyler's everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach recently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

It is a fine album but in the film the score just 'sits there', it's not a good film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wish I knew why Hans decided to take that approach.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Steady now wink

I really enjoy the film too. Jerry Goldsmith was originally slated to score the film and it's one of those rare occasions where I'm glad he didn't.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Steady now wink

shame wink
  9. Listening to some tracks from the recent re-recording of John Carpenter's The Thing (Morricone's tracks at the moment).

I think that this is an excellent re-recording - i.e., it almost a faithful recreation of the original.

And as well as hearing the familiar Morricone cues it's great to hear some vintage Carpenter too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Olympus Has Fallen - Trevor Morris

I enjoy the White House cues. They're the best moment of the score album. I like how orchestral and aggressive they are while remaining very much underscore. Trevor Morris has been one of those composer whom I've hoped to achieve more success than where he's at now. Perhaps it will be so after this score/movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Steady now wink

The current global obsession with gay marriage (if I am to believe my Facebook feed) is surely because of couples such as you two. How sad you can't legally conclude your betrothement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not so sure, I mean, some of your highest ratings for a Hans Zimmer album (not a film score, I do agree with you on both accounts regarding Da Vinci Code, except the final piece, the score does make the movie worse, though I think Ron Howard, not the subtlest director ever, to say the least, is partly to blame) are for some of his most "traditionally orchestral works". I mean if we look at the way you rated Spanglish, Da Vinci Code (which has a minimal electronic backdrop reserved mostly for darker action music; ironically Hans revisited and revised one of the sounds from one of the pieces in Why So Serious, actually), Pirates 3, which uses synthesizers for only one cue (Multiple Jacks; also has the problem of making the movie terribly earnest when it shouldn't), then I think you might rate the "more orchestral scores" higher than you think!

I guess in those scores he isn't really writing "traditional symphonic music". He might be using an orchestra, but he's not trying to use it the way James Horner would.
  10. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Steady now wink

The current global obsession with gay marriage (if I am to believe my Facebook feed) is surely because of couples such as you two. How sad you can't legally conclude your betrothement.

In Germany we could.

And now I'm gonna find out where you live and while traveling there I'll come up with some really nasty way to skull your life , you ***** ****** !!! kill

wink
  11. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It is a fine album but in the film the score just 'sits there', it's not a good film score.

I actually think the score, except the final cue, plain ruins the movie, just like Southall.

And to Steven, I think the approach was something at least partly suggested by the director.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it's a fab score -- both in and out of the movie!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. At no time was James Horner or Hans Zimmer considered to the scoring job on John Carpenter's The Thing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. Wouldn't shock me biggrin

Brian Tyler - Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

I like where his career is going at this moment, somehow. There is a nice anthemic theme to it and it has an interesting atmosphere. The action music is quite exciting, while, at the same moment, just not throwing the whole orchestra together at the same time, which is very welcome, considering what Tyler tended to do even two years ago.

All in all, from his game scores, I would say that while it ranks below the sheer creativity of Far Cry 3 (I still ought to play that game), but is better than the admittedly brainless fun that is Modern Warfare 3 (though that one had a weak theme, here, in the track Chronicle, it seems to be better). Combining his usual action style though on less steroids with Latino elements is very interesting and the score is much less derivative than Modern Warfare 3 that literally quoted bits from Eagle Eye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013 edited
    NP: L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX (Vangelis)

Simply put....one of the best electronic scores & albums of all time. Contains two of the most heartachingly beautiful melodies I can think of.
    I am extremely serious.