• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Croods - Alan Silvestri

Zero expectations whatsoever. I'm surprised by how much I actually enjoy this. It's a lot of fun. It's a hybrid of his Richie Rich, Roger Rabbit and The Abyss scores. And there are proper themes. At the end of the album Silvestri's presents not one but TWO concert suites of his main themes. shocked It's 2013. I thought this practice was dead. Bravo Mr. Silvestri. And they are gorgeous themes!

-Erik-

I really enjoyed those two concert suites at the end. In fact, I'm not sure there's much of a need to have the rest of the album, which was a bit too bitty for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Die Hard Whatever, Fuck You It's Winter Movie Release Marco Beltrami

An excellent example of a decent modern action score, while expertly channeling some of Kamen's motifs from the previous films (even a little 'cameo' from one of the bad guy motifs from Die Hard 2 I believe? That's certainly showing my film music geekinees... uhm )

I think this is brilliant.
  1. Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

Not just his best work, but one of the very best RCP scores of recent years. While yes, it does sound like Black Hawk Down for Dummies, I really enjoy it's atmosphere and I think the theme is really corking (especially as heard in the third track). Haven't listened to it for ages, but I did feel like it for a while.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013 edited
    NP: Olympus Has Fallen - Trevor Morris

Something must be wrong with me. This is addictive and very enjoyable. While this score is rooted heavily in the MV/RC style of composing ("orchestral" score with heavy electronics, guitars and drums) the biggest difference is that you can tell that this was performed by a massive symphony orchestra. No synth orchestra laid over the top to drown out that organic sound. If all MV/RC scores were recorded and produced THIS way then I'm sure the ones panned to death by critics (me included) would be a lot less grating!

Props to recording engineer extraordinaire Peter Fuchs in Slovakia! Big, BIG sound! The brass blasts sound AMAZING!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

Oh yes.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Olympus Has Fallen - Trevor Morris

Something must be wrong with me. This is addictive and very enjoyable. While this score is rooted heavily in the MV/RC style of composing ("orchestral" score with heavy electronics, guitars and drums) the biggest difference is that you can tell that this was performed by a massive symphony orchestra. No synth orchestra laid over the top to drown out that organic sound. If all MV/RC scores were recorded and produced THIS way then I'm sure the ones panned to death by critics (me included) would be a lot less grating!

Props to recording engineer extraordinaire Peter Fuchs in Slovakia! Big, BIG sound! The brass blasts sound AMAZING!

-Erik-

i also listend to the whole album and i think it's a very good mix of orchestra and synths. for me it is more a brian tyler style than a rcp style. i like trevors more orchestral rhythmic action music. it has lots of energy. also the heavy synthetic suspense music sounds not bad when you listen to the album as a whole. his themes are maybe simple, but very effective and heroic and the more emotional moments have a little tudors feeling. a very nice and entertaining action score by trevor. i hope they will show the movie also in german cinemas. i would love to hear this score in "action" as soon as possible.
  2. Frozen Planet Fenton

This arrived in the post today. Half way through my first listen, stunning music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Southall wrote

Oh yes.

Oh really?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Oh yes.

Oh really?

Oh no.

Wait.

Yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Demetris wrote
    JOE HISAISHI - Tokyo Kazuko (2013)

This is nice, small-scale and subtle, short in duration and kinda monothematic though, but if you like Hisaishi's style you'll probably be fond of this gentle piano-orchestral score.

I guess you meant "Tokyo Kazoku (Tokyo Family)"? Kazuko is a girl's name... wink

I haven't heard it, though.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

I need anything to sooth my sore throat and sneezing nose. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Snow Falling On Cedars - JNH

I don't like cedar pollens, which make me sneeze, but I like this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Bible - Zimmer/Balfe

This album artwork has one of the worst subtitles I've ever seen. Instead of something simple like "Original television score composed by Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe" we have the breathlessness-inducing mouthful...

"THE OFFICIAL SCORE SOUNDTRACK TO THE EPIC MINI SERIES COMPOSED BY HANS ZIMMER AND LORNE BALFE AND FEATURING LISA GERRARD". dizzy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    NP: The Bible - Zimmer/Balfe

This album artwork has one of the worst subtitles I've ever seen. Instead of something simple like "Original television score composed by Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe" we have the breathlessness-inducing mouthful...

"THE OFFICIAL SCORE SOUNDTRACK TO THE EPIC MINI SERIES COMPOSED BY HANS ZIMMER AND LORNE BALFE AND FEATURING LISA GERRARD". dizzy

Gerrard is also involved in Klaus Schultze's recently released album "Shadowlands". In this track for example start at 14 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhORHDDI7c
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

The stunning original MCA Records release. One of the finest soundtrack albums ever produced and one of the best recorded film scores of all time! It's also helps that the music is gobsmackingly brilliant as well! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Call - John Debney

This is about as far as you could get from the score mentioned by Erik immediately above. Words can barely describe how extraordinarily hideous it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hook - John Williams

Swashbuckling magnificence!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

The stunning original MCA Records release. One of the finest soundtrack albums ever produced and one of the best recorded film scores of all time! It's also helps that the music is gobsmackingly brilliant as well! wink

-Erik-

I shall now use the word 'fact' in an indisputable way...

FACT!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013 edited
    NP: Human Target - Bear McCreary

punk

Someone please explain to me why McCreary's title theme DIDN'T win an Emmy?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No idea and don't really care about the Emmy's. It's a bloody good theme though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013
    NP : THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

AWESOME! Most composers now days are given fantastically imagined scopes and can't match a fraction of this score for what effectively would be nothing more than a direct to DVD ( ot whatever ) movie nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    So very true Tim. Very true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    L'Africain - Georges Delerue

Outstanding. Lush, exciting action/romance.
  4. I have just returned from an expedition to uncharted territories. After all the clamouring Erik did hereabouts I rummaged through cardboards in the uttermost remote corners of my parents' attic. Finally I rediscovered the original CD release of John Williams’ E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial. It must be nearly ten years since I last had this CD in hands let alone listened to it. No it is being restored to my collection.

What I did not find was the original release of JAWS. This is peculiar since I have all my old John Williams CDs: the Silva Raiders release, the Alhambra Close Encounters release and the original Polydor CD releases of the STAR WARS Trilogy. I probably gave JAWS away to someone.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Riddle - Scott Glasgow

Elegant, beautiful score for what I assume is a supernatural thriller. Easily the best score of the year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited
    Haven't heard Riddle yet but it's going to take something truly exceptional to dethrone Escape From Tomorrow.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I couldn't get too excited about that one to be honest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2013 edited
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Seriously awesome!
  5. Timmer wrote
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Seriously awesome!

Needs an expanded release badly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree! I have a boot but would buy a legit expanded.