• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I revisit the score after quite a while. I am spellbound: playfull, thematically rich - a pleasure!

Volker

It's absolutely wonderful indeed, and what a greatly-acted and constructed movie!

Absolutely. As a huge lover of films from the tens and twenties of the last century, I enjoyed this film immensely! So clever and rich!

Definitely not for everyone though.
    I heard of several people walking out "because they couldn't stand there was no talking". biggrin

It's bliss, gorgeously romantic and good at heart, naive. I can't see how this is not for everyone.....have you also watched the director's other movies too btw? he seems like THE guy i'd want to hang out and have beers with biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Bible - Zimmer/Balfe

Awful.

I played it twice and liked it at first, but i don't see how i could return to it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's fascinating, actually. I wonder how many people were walking out from movies "because they couldn't stand there WAS talking" in the late twenties/early thirties!.

Very, very few!
    It was a studio fear that had nothing to do with the public's taste and perception.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I revisit the score after quite a while. I am spellbound: playfull, thematically rich - a pleasure!

Volker

It's absolutely wonderful indeed, and what a greatly-acted and constructed movie!

Absolutely. As a huge lover of films from the tens and twenties of the last century, I enjoyed this film immensely! So clever and rich!

Definitely not for everyone though.
    I heard of several people walking out "because they couldn't stand there was no talking". biggrin

It's bliss, gorgeously romantic and good at heart, naive. I can't see how this is not for everyone.....have you also watched the director's other movies too btw? he seems like THE guy i'd want to hang out and have beers with biggrin

As for the 'walking out' bit, it doesn't surprise me; especially in the US, where people need artificial laughing in their sitcoms, since ever, to indicate to them what is funny and where should they laugh biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's fascinating, actually. I wonder how many people were walking out from movies "because they couldn't stand there WAS talking" in the late twenties/early thirties!.

Very, very few!
    It was a studio fear that had nothing to do with the public's taste and perception.

Exactly. Although there WERE directors who struggled to come to terms with the new technology before they eventually embraced it -- like Chaplin and Fritz Lang.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    it has long been a bothering thought to me, which film is better, THE ARTIST or ELF.

A third one to put into the mix would be THROW MAMMA FROM THE TRAIN.

Yes, that had occured to me too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Bible - Zimmer/Balfe

Awful.

I listened to some tracks and agree with you, it's a load of tosh.

Your review is spot on. I wonder if Krzizstinza and Jordi will read your review?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't you blocked their asses yet? If not, i truly admire your grandness and patience my friend smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Haven't you blocked their asses yet? If not, i truly admire your grandness and patience my friend smile

I like Jordi. I just skip any postings about zimmer. Prinzsess Ksrystztna I don't really know except that she's exceptionally touchy to any criticism of her idol and god Lord Hans Zimmer.
  1. NP: Frank Herbert's Dune by Graeme Revell (GNP, 2000)

Sure, this score does not live up to its predecessor by ToTo (David Paich) and Brian Eno, yet its much better than its reputation. The same goes for the miniseries itself. The score is very dense and atmospheric, sometimes even remindful of composers like Ligeti (The Pain Box).
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OVERBOARD (Alan Silvestri)

Quirky fun.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: OVERBOARD (Alan Silvestri)

Quirky fun.

That one was not for me!

Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal

Now this one is definitely for me.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

I like Jordi. I just skip any postings about zimmer. Prinzsess Ksrystztna I don't really know except that she's exceptionally touchy to any criticism of her idol and god Lord Hans Zimmer.

Same with James Horner. I tried to discuss the The New World situation with her a lot of times (namely what Horner said about Malick in the interview, which I believe was completely unprofessional and completely unwarranted) and I guess I raised her blood pressure three times while trying :mrgreen:
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    She needs the D.
  3. She's got the Jordi who pisses her off by flirting with her ALL THE TIME. Why is he flirting with her? She admittedly looks nice and she likes ZIMMER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Obviously he wants to give her the D. Attaboy!

n.p. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SGW2OST/sn … soundtrack composed by Michal Cielecki.

Not bad, it has some elements from Trapanese's Tron (the ostinati, the pulsating electronics), but minus the dubstep elements and more on the Zimmer side of things. The timpani are massive and the score has some very enjoyable moments.

was previously playing TYLER BATES - God of War:ascension

Nothing new, but damn fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lorne Balfe and Rachel Portman - Girl, rising

Just started listening to the main theme, my God, how cheap those synths sound? What is this, 1990 for fuck's sake? I'd never expect to hear such cheap sound in major 2013 film scores...it's disappointing. This and the the Bible for instance...what happened, was the scores' budget 50 dollars?

Oh and Rachel Portman my ass, she has 2 cues credited all and all.
  4. OMG, Balfe bashing. You'll piss off prinzess whothefuckever.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PROOF OF LIFE (Danny Elfman)

Not often talked about, but it's a fine score. Throbbing, with South American textures interweaved with percussive loops. Intense in a good way. I like the film too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    OMG, Balfe bashing. You'll piss off prinzess whothefuckever.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: PROOF OF LIFE (Danny Elfman)

Not often talked about, but it's a fine score. Throbbing, with South American textures interweaved with percussive loops. Intense in a good way. I like the film too.

Yeap, love it too; in a weird way i also remember liking the movie back then smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's like a darker UNDER FIRE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Lady in the Water- James Newton Howard

What happened to this JNH? Can we have him back, please?
  5. Josh B wrote

He said, among other things, in a recent interview, the one-note Joker theme was genius, and that "Inception" was an amazing score.

He's gone over to the Dark Side.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Josh B wrote

He said, among other things, in a recent interview, the one-note Joker theme was genius, and that "Inception" was an amazing score.

He wrote Snowwhite and Hunger games recently which are pretty good. And he's got a new Shyamalan coming up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARC STREITENFIELD - The Grey

Beautiful, solemn, mature and outstanding in the film. Those who say that Streitenfield can't write, need a reality check. This score is a gem.
  6. justin boggan wrote
    Josh B wrote

No, that means he is a sane and a well-informed human being with good education.
  7. There wasn't very much from HZ since DaVinci Code that I liked. Inception, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, though, have their moments. That Joker "theme" is not one of these moments. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Josh B wrote

No, that means he is a sane and a well-informed human being with good education.

Please, feel free to ignore all of my posts.