• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX (Vangelis)

Simply put....one of the best electronic scores & albums of all time. Contains two of the most heartachingly beautiful melodies I can think of.

A wonderful album cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    At no time was James Horner or Hans Zimmer considered to the scoring job on John Carpenter's The Thing.

Proof!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

Simply put....one of the best electronic scores & albums of all time. Contains two of the most heartachingly beautiful melodies I can think of.

I have a track called La petite fille de la mer, which indeed has a beautiful melody. If there are two great melodies, which track am I missing?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    No denying that. I love Iron Will!

-Erik-

Quite frankly I'm very suspicious of anyone who doesn't love Iron Will.

Even deaf people?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013 edited
    The touch (Poledouris)

Martijn mentioned this recently, and I'd completely forgotten what is was like, so I thought I'd try it again.

I like the first track and a few other tracks, but most of the tracks on this album doesn't do much for me. Perhaps I need to listen to it some more.

A whale for the killing (Poledouris)

A pretty good score. Took ages to get released, but happy that it finally did.

Peter punk
  1. Thor wrote

La petite fille de la mer &
    La mort du loup
    right?

Groundbraking album! A celebration of some of my favourite instruments, the Hammond Organ, the Mellotron and the Clavinet.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    At no time was James Horner or Hans Zimmer considered to the scoring job on John Carpenter's The Thing.

Proof!?

No proof whatsoever as it is completely made up! wink

I was trying to think of ways of increasing the level of response to my posts and I thought that mentioning Horner and/or Zimmer might do the trick.

Maybe I should just try to post more items that people may want to comment on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

La mort du loup
    right?.

Yup, you beat me to it! In fact, "La Mort du Loup" is even more of a favourite than "La Petite Fille..." for me. The latter, however, is the one that always appears on 'best of' albums.

But really...the WHOLE album is bliss.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Dont go near the water!
    NP: JAWS - John Williams (Album/LP version)

Just very recently I found out that the Collector's Edition (Decca) and the original CD release (MCA) are really two different recordings. (Albite done in the same session, if I understand correctly.)

Since I don't remember what happened to my old MCA copy I bought a second hand one in good condition for 5 €. It came with the mail this morning.

A great presentation of this classic score!

Volker
  4. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

La mort du loup
    right?.

Yup, you beat me to it! In fact, "La Mort du Loup" is even more of a favourite than "La Petite Fille..." for me. The latter, however, is the one that always appears on 'best of' albums.

But really...the WHOLE album is bliss.

You're exactly right on both points!
    Vangelis prog-rock-roots (Aphrodite's Child) are clearly noticeable in this one.
  5. I was brought up on the original MCA version of Jaws - and I love it. I am so familiar with the subtle nuances of this recording. This meant that when I heard the OST it was almost like listening to a new score.

I love both versions and each one offers a different take on the same source material.

Very recently I became familiar with the Varese re-recording (NcNeely) - I hadn't felt the need to hear this as the other two were more than enough for me. But the re-recording also is worth hearing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was brought up on the original MCA version of Jaws - and I love it. I am so familiar with the subtle nuances of this recording. This meant that when I heard the OST it was almost like listening to a new score.

I love both versions and each one offers a different take on the same source material.

Very recently I became familiar with the Varese re-recording (NcNeely) - I hadn't felt the need to hear this as the other two were more than enough for me. But the re-recording also is worth hearing.

What I find irritating is that the Decca release gives no hint that this is a different recording. On the contrary, it purports to be an expansion of the MCA release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was brought up on the original MCA version of Jaws - and I love it. I am so familiar with the subtle nuances of this recording. This meant that when I heard the OST it was almost like listening to a new score.

Completely agree on all your points!
    The Jaws album was one of my very first soundtrack albums and I've nigh worn out the vinyl!
    To this day it's one of my favourite soundtracks.

And indeed, when you become so familiar with all the details and nuances in the score, any reissue, remix or remastering, leave alone a new recording or a release of the actual film tracks sounds completely different. Even, oddly enough, off at some points.

That said, I really can't recommend McNeely's rerecording enough. It has a great sound and a fantastic feel for the material.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had the expanded Decca once, but didn't care for it much. So I sold it. If I want to have a great listening experience of the score, I'll put on the old MCA. If I want to experience it the way it is in the movie, I'll watch the movie.

I don't have such a strong nostalgic connection to this one, however, as I do JURASSIC PARK. That's the one I know by heart to the tiniest detail.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I had the expanded Decca once, but didn't care for it much.

Surprise, surprise! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KICK-ASS (various)

It's a bit all over the place (for obvious reasons, given the number of composers involved), but when it's on, it's really on -- whether sarcastically over-the-top and heroic or down-to-earth and beautiful.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It only just struck me that JAWS might be the first soundtrack album I bought that was to a brand new release? Though the very first albums I bought were Geoff Love's cover versions of popular themes and the very first soundtrack I bought was GOLDFINGER and a Morricone double bill of FISTFUL OF/FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE I'm pretty sure the first score I bought after seeing a brand new film at the cinema was for JAWS.

Anyway, just thinking aloud and in the spirit of Alan.... HANS ZIMMER
  8. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It only just struck me that JAWS might be the first soundtrack album I bought that was to a brand new release? Though the very first albums I bought were Geoff Love's cover versions of popular themes and the very first soundtrack I bought was GOLDFINGER and a Morricone double bill of FISTFUL OF/FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE I'm pretty sure the first score I bought after seeing a brand new film at the cinema was for JAWS.

Anyway, just thinking aloud and in the spirit of Alan.... HANS ZIMMER

Now, I was 5 years old when JAWS hit the cinemas, so - not likely. I really started buying soundtracks around 1990, so maybe Dances With Wolves. No wait - I bought that one afte it won the AcAw, so that would have been 1991. I mostly saw films on video or on tv so, I don't know.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's funny how your memory can play tricks on you. Can you honestly not remember exactly what the first score you bought was?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Jurassic Park Bonus Tracks - John Williams shocked

"The Coming Storm" and "Hungry Raptor" are on repeat for the next little while!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Timmer wrote
    It's funny how your memory can play tricks on you. Can you honestly not remember exactly what the first score you bought was?

Yes I can: Return of the Jedi and Chariots of Fire on vinyl. I believe Dune was the first one on CD. But none of these films were at the theatres when I bought those items.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Chariots of Fire was so popular that I don't think there was a human being on the planet who could escape from it at one point. wink

I think the next soundtracks I bought from a newly released film were King Kong and a few years later The Deep and Star Wars, even back then I was busy trying to hoover up earlier scores rather than current releases and unlike now it was bloody difficult to find anything.

In fact, finding something like Mary, Queen of Scots by John Barry or Obsession by Bernard Herrmann or Patton by Jerry Goldsmith, for example, was always a revelation because unless you'd caught a credit on a TV showing it was the surprise of a favourite composer doing the music to a film that you didn't know they'd done the music too, hell, back then it wasn't even uncommon for the films poster to have no credit for the films composer.
  10. Timmer wrote
    Chariots of Fire was so popular that I don't think there was a human being on the planet who could escape from it at one point. wink

Certainly every single human with access to a TV set should be familiar with that theme after the London Summer Olympics. I mean, I am madly love this music, but even I got annoyed by over-exposure.

In fact, finding something like Mary, Queen of Scots by John Barry or Obsession by Bernard Herrmann or Patton by Jerry Goldsmith, for example, was always a revelation because unless you'd caught a credit on a TV showing it was the surprise of a favourite composer doing the music to a film that you didn't know they'd done the music too, hell, back then it wasn't even uncommon for the films poster to have no credit for the films composer.

AND: German TV was and still is in the habit of not showing the end credits!!! but doing some loud and stupid self promotion for some format noone is gonna watch anyway suicide. So what did you do before TCP/IP? I used to drive to Cologne. The store-chaine "Saturn" has a very big store there, in fact it's their parent house. Comparable with the Virgin store in London. (Does that still exist?). I found many CDs there just by going through their display.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I can't. I think a cassette copy of the TWIN PEAKS CD may have been the very first soundtrack (ca. 1990?), but that was really before my film music interest kicked in. I think THE COMMITMENTS was the first soundtrack I got on CD, but that wasn't a score. So I don't really remember. JURASSIC PARK was early, but I'm not sure it was the first. I have a handful of candidates.

The MCA CD of JAWS -- since we talk about that -- wasn't untill the mid to late 90's, at the earliest. Before that, I only had a couple of tracks on the FILMWORKS compilation CD.

I think I can say for a fact that before 1990, I had no conscious film music interest whatsoever. I was interested in other genres -- like prog rock, old rock, some contemporary pop and electronica. Symphonic music in the style of "LSO plays Classic Rock". Of course, all of this naturally evolved into a soundtrack interest.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor, I know there have been many 'what got you into film score' style threads at FSM but do you or anybody else know if there's ever been one here?

Volker, Virgin stores have gone now. As a pre-teen and coming from a tiny city compared to London I never knew of the existence of any kind of superstore in the early to mid 1970's, the biggest we had was a small local HMV and various independent record stores ( now sadly ALL gone ), it was in the 'used bins' of stores like that and what we used to call 'second-hand shops' where I would go hunting for treasures every Saturday.
  11. The Alfred Hitchcock Hour: Vol II Herrmann

The last number of years really have been an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great archival releases I never thought would see the light of day but these have got to be near the top of the list. So many fantastic mini Herrmann scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor, I know there have been many 'what got you into film score' style threads at FSM but do you or anybody else know if there's ever been one here?

You know what, I can't remember any such threads. Only those at FSM. Maybe we should have one?
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

You know what, I can't remember any such threads. Only those at FSM. Maybe we should have one?

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

One of those albums that makes me glad to be alive (and it's taking quite a lot to do that at the moment for various reasons!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park Bonus Tracks - John Williams shocked

"The Coming Storm" and "Hungry Raptor" are on repeat for the next little while!

punk

-Erik-

Excellent. I'm sure someone has already done this somewhere, but clearly we need to know the right order to play the tracks in. Jurassic Park is one of those albums I actually rearranged myself anyway (since it's a bit silly in released form, with the end titles in the middle and all).