• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW - Abel Korzeniowski

Not for me, I'm afraid. The orchestra sounded thin somehow. Like an old recording. The Grand Finale was good, but I didn't enjoy the rest. The intentionally unsettling cues are effective. The song at the end is torturous. I'm a huge fan of Korzeniowski, but this one is nothing like anything else of his yet. I'm sure it works wonders in the film, but I found it very unpleasant on its own.
  2. It sounded like the composer may have been constrained by cost in regard to what he could do with the music.

But, for me, this is excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2013
    christopher wrote
    ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW - Abel Korzeniowski

Not for me, I'm afraid. The orchestra sounded thin somehow. Like an old recording. The Grand Finale was good, but I didn't enjoy the rest. The intentionally unsettling cues are effective. The song at the end is torturous. I'm a huge fan of Korzeniowski, but this one is nothing like anything else of his yet. I'm sure it works wonders in the film, but I found it very unpleasant on its own.

This is exactly how I feel about the score. Maybe with repeated listens it will grow on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Escape From Tomorrow is brilliant! Best score of the new year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRON: UPRISING (Joseph Trapanese)

I'm diggin' it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013
    Somehow I felt compelled to play this score...

NP : PADRE PIO - Ennio Morricone

Gorgeous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Funnily enough, I played that one yesterday.
  3. plindboe wrote
    Glad to hear it, Volker! biggrin Also, it's much healthier cycling.

A caveat about Moses the lawgiver -> If you've ordered the 2CD release, be prepared for a lot of unlistenable tracks. It's essential that you edit it down to the best material as soon as you get it, otherwise you might come to dislike it. The 2CD album is about 100 minutes long, and needs to be trimmed down to a ~40 minute album. That said, the main theme is somewhere in my top20 of all-time favourite themes.

Peter smile

So ... "Novecento (1900)". Such a great score! This is simply Morricone's musical love letter to his native Italy. So gorgeous!

"Mosé / Moses the Lawgiver"
    Some of the grandest music Morricone has ever written! To me there isn't one "unlistenable" minute here. Granted, this isn't always an easy listening experiance. But if you are familiar with John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen or Györgi Ligeti you will notice that Morricone is right there with the avantgarde of the late 70s.
    In contrast to other composers Morricone never seperates his contemporary concert work from his film music. You have modernist / avangardistic elements in many of his scores. I really dig that.

Volker smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013 edited
    NP : TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA - Ennio Morricone

Well, sort of. It's actually on Channel 5 right now and it's always a joy listening to Morricone's fabulous score.

Mel just asked if I have this music, yes I have I say, I really like it says Mel cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    So ... "Novecento (1900)". Such a great score! This is simply Morricone's musical love letter to his native Italy. So gorgeous!

"Mosé / Moses the Lawgiver"
    Some of the grandest music Morricone has ever written! To me there isn't one "unlistenable" minute here. Granted, this isn't always an easy listening experiance. But if you are familiar with John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen or Györgi Ligeti you will notice that Morricone is right there with the avantgarde of the late 70s.
    In contrast to other composers Morricone never seperates his contemporary concert work from his film music. You have modernist / avangardistic elements in many of his scores. I really dig that.

Volker smile

Hey! I thought I was supposed to be the Morricone fanatic around these parts! biggrin

I'm thrilled you like them so much, Volker.

I've always found the difficult parts of Mosé to be almost impossible to enjoy. The source music to my ears seems to go on forever without any real melody or development. I'm sure it does the trick in the movie, but away from it, I find it rather boring. Concerning the tense music, I can appreciate a track like Nella voce di dio for instance, as it's incredibly athmospheric. And with Battaglia e Mar Rosso, I think Morricone probably managed to create the single most tense and violent film score track in history. But the appreciation is almost entirely on an intellectual level, and not an emotional, enjoyment level.

The worst part is that there should be another great theme in the Mosé mini-series, but Morricone for unknown reasons have refused it to be released. I believe he later rearranged it for the La bibbia film series, though I hear the orchestration in Mosé should be vastly superior.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    But if you are familiar with John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen or Györgi Ligeti you will notice that Morricone is right there with the avantgarde of the late 70s.

Good points, btw. I think you are spot on with those people, as Morricone often mention Cage and Ligeti as two of his main inspirations.

Timmer wrote

Well, sort of. It's actually on Channel 5 right now and it's always a joy listening to Morricone's fabulous score.

Mel just asked if I have this music, yes I have I say, I really like it says Mel cool

Ah, yes, my gf just told me 5 minutes ago that this movie was on telly in England. It's very unfair.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Hey! I thought I was supposed to be the Morricone fanatic around these parts! biggrin

I think Southall is fast becoming the new Morricone nut. You've got some catching up to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Journey 2: The Myserious Island - Andrew Lockington

I can't believe I'm giving this another try. This is my fourth complete listen and I still HATE, HATE , HATE that's original Journey motif that Lockington composed for the first film and is recycled painfully in this second score. However, the new Mysterious Island adventure theme is rip, roaring fun highlighted in the entertaining " Mysterious Island Main Title" cue. Let's see if I can get through this listen without blowing my brains out! I've got some McNeely waiting in the wings to save me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ah, yes, my gf just told me 5 minutes ago that this movie was on telly in England. It's very unfair.

Peter smile

It is, primarily because I didn't know. Would love to see this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Flight - Alan Silvestri

I thought it was a bit odd that a Silvestri score for a Zemeckis film didn't get a release (and there was no clamour for one). Listening to the Oscar promo, it's pretty obvious why. Talk about low-key.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013
    Timmer wrote

Mel is kinduvva cool chick, ain't she? cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Mel is kinduvva cool chick, ain't she? cool

Yeah! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Flight - Alan Silvestri

I thought it was a bit odd that a Silvestri score for a Zemeckis film didn't get a release (and there was no clamour for one). Listening to the Oscar promo, it's pretty obvious why. Talk about low-key.

Snooooooooooozze fest. Silvestri on his maximum bored mode, as he's been for the past 2 years or so.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Surprise, I'm not listening to animation score...

NP: The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore

I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey last friday. I didn't expect so high about this movie, and it indeed wasn't so great for me (who used to be a little Tolkien mania biggrin). But I did love Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins! I wish the movie was concentrated more on him (as in the book), rather than showing battling monsters all the time tongue

I liked the main them / Lonely Mountain song, which somehow reminded me a bit of Joe Hisaishi (am I only one?).

But I didn't hear as great as Rohan theme. I love it the most in the series.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Musashiden II Blademaster - Musashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano

Good score for a terrible video game. Not a huge fan of Nakano but Hamauzu is one of my favorite composers, his music steeped with French impressionism and other 20th century classical influences. When he gets an orchestra to work with (like a good chunk of Final Fantasy XIII), the music really comes to life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    Robin Hood - Michael Kamen

I've been an enthusiastic advocate of Michael Kamen for many years (for a long time it seemed the only advocate! - I wrote an article about him for FSM in the late 90s and Lukas Kendall thanked me and told me that all of his music is garbage), but for whatever reason never quite got into this. I rediscovered it recently after a long time and it's proved to be a revelation. Wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I wrote an article about him for FSM in the late 90s and Lukas Kendall thanked me and told me that all of his music is garbage)

Fut The Whuck?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lukas said that? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A toast to the greatest film composer ever...

NP : CHINATOWN - Jerry Goldsmith

Much missed but what a legacy beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    A toast to the greatest film composer ever...

NP : CHINATOWN - Jerry Goldsmith

Much missed but what a legacy beer

Indeed. VERY MUCH MISSED!!!
    Happy Birthday Jerry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Far Cry 3 - Brian Tyler

I hope to see him write more stuff like this....2012 was quietly a brilliant year for Tyler, right after everyone seemed to think his inspiration had dried up.... this plus Terra Nova plus Brake and Columbus Circle plus Expendables 2 are a fabulous run of engaging and exciting modern action/drama scores, and with stunning sound quality on every single one.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MEN IN BLACK (Danny Elfman)

I procrastinated a bit before delving into this trilogy, as the music is often very "screamy" and intense, but the main theme is corking and various other highlights too. I think I prefer the second soundtrack the most.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami

Just started listening to this. The first track is really good. A typical Beltrami cue built around ostinati. Based on the second track, looks like Marco will continue referencing McClane's theme and use Ode To Joy in the score. At least it'll be more thematic than Live Free or Die Hard, which wasn't terrible. And there are more electronics than before... we'll see how this will pan out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought Live Free or Die Hard was very good. I'm interested to see how this one compares.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami

Just started listening to this. The first track is really good. A typical Beltrami cue built around ostinati. Based on the second track, looks like Marco will continue referencing McClane's theme and use Ode To Joy in the score. At least it'll be more thematic than Live Free or Die Hard, which wasn't terrible. And there are more electronics than before... we'll see how this will pan out.

It's a very, very good score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.