• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Have you not been familiar with any of Bernard's stuff through the Hammer films Erik?

Sad to say that I'm unfamiliar with the Hammer films. shame

-Erik-

Skyfall
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Have you not been familiar with any of Bernard's stuff through the Hammer films Erik?

Sad to say that I'm unfamiliar with the Hammer films. shame

-Erik-

Skyfall

^
    rolleyes wink

The Hammer films are great fun, traditional gothic horror all very tame by todays horror film standards but they are loaded with atmosphere, great casting and many beautiful women. As classic in their own right as the Universal horror classics of the 30's.

p.s. I absolutely love Christina's theme from Frankenstein Created Woman. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks to a little nudge from Erik...

NP : SHE - James Bernard

Stunningly haunting main theme, great "journey" theme and I love the Roman fanfare. A film and score that scared me as a kid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture

The La La Land release just came today to me along with In Country.

No problems, all came in pristine quality. I'll only listen to the first CD, because I need a little bit of silence, but this man here is happy to have this score, which is as close to musical perfection as music ever could be, in my collection.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEXT THREE DAYS (Danny Elfman)

I love this one....very post-Serenada Schizophrana with lots of Glass-ian repetitions and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture

The La La Land release just came today to me along with In Country.

No problems, all came in pristine quality. I'll only listen to the first CD, because I need a little bit of silence, but this man here is happy to have this score, which is as close to musical perfection as music ever could be, in my collection.

In my top 5 favourite all time film scores, magnificent is just one superlative to describe it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just turned off... ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH by Aaron Zigman. Starts off promising but then turned into a mess of clashing musical styles! Ugh!

NP: In Country - James Horner

First ever listen... boy do I miss Shawn Murphy recorded James Horner film scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    .....a mess of clashing musical styles! Ugh!.....

-Erik-

Is this eclecticism? Or temp love.
  2. Timmer wrote

Stunningly haunting main theme, great "journey" theme and I love the Roman fanfare. A film and score that scared me as a kid.

Is that an adaptaion of H. Rider Haggard's "She", like the one Max Steiner did a score for once?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Pawel's comment on La La Land's deluxe Star Trek: TMP "is as close to musical perfection as music ever could be, in my collection" is as true as they come. Movie music brilliance of the highest order!
    beer
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Just turned off... ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH by Aaron Zigman. Starts off promising but then turned into a mess of clashing musical styles! Ugh!

Agreed! And I thought that it was mixed so quietly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Phenomenon - Thomas Newman

A fan of my radio show kindly sent me the official and elusive cassette promo of this score (along with a CD-r copy of the cassette, which is what I'm playing.) The cassette apparently is the source of all the bootleg CD-r's that are floating around in soundtrack circles today. The score runs 24 plus minutes and was apparently going to be released on Varese Sarabande coupled with another score but for some reason the release never happened.

It's a typical quirky yet very catchy Newman score with a magical, mystical touch and some gorgeous string passages. I think I'll play this on my hidden gems show, which I hope to start writing shortly... along with the 4-5 other shows I have planned. wink

-Erik-

My most requested unreleased score. I love the opening theme.
  5. NP: God of War: Ascension - Tyler Bates

It's loud, incessant and not very original. But I am enjoying the hell out of it!

Shoot me now.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2013
    The only Tyler Bates I've enjoyed were the things he didn't write in 300.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Scribe wrote
    The only Tyler Bates I've enjoyed were the things he didn't write in 300.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Is that an adaptaion of H. Rider Haggard's "She", like the one Max Steiner did a score for once?

Yes it is. I've haven't seen the Steiner scored film, is it any good?
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

And not just from one track to the next, but you have wild shifts multiple times within a single track.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    The Avengers Alan Silvestri

A fan made edited version (far superior to the official album). It's a not-bad action score with a pretty decent theme. Though, if this was 80s Silvestri, this probably would have been the best score of 2012. Still, I'm glad he still manages to get the odd blockbuster gig.

I've been listening to said edit today and boy, I forgot how good this was. In the 45 minutes runtime there isn't a dull moment!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Fucking awesome John Barry genius! Now THIS is a Bond score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just playing: Cutthroat Island - John Debney

Every time I listen to this I still can't get my head around how there is so much good music in one score. 10 scores of today don't have this much.
  8. Timmer wrote
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Fucking awesome John Barry genius! Now THIS is a Bond score.

Quite. I 1964 Barry was right on top of his game. Just as Newman is now.
    wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Touche mon Capitan wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Passion - Pino Donaggio

Brilliant. My kind of score. (You can tell it's a Brian de Palma score from start to end.)
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2013
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

God, this is great music, beautifully written and orchestrated. Goldsmith always did his best work in later years for Verhoeven. I usually listen to the full Deluxe edition but because the action music is so intense and plentiful, I'm reordering the music into the original forty-minute release to see how it fares.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: You-know-what album of The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

If you care to find my geeky comments on it, come to Facebook tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

God, this is great music, beautifully written and orchestrated. Goldsmith always did his best work in later years for Verhoeven. I usually listen to the full Deluxe edition but because the action music is so intense and plentiful, I'm reordering the music into the original forty-minute release to see how it fares.

Brilliant score! This was a last hoorah for JG, throwing his all into a stunning work, his scores after this were mostly much more linear.
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Now on the second CD. This score is an utter masterpiece of film music. If anyone ever wondered if it's possible to write a grandiose atmospheric score with a corking heroic theme, Jerry Goldsmith proved that it indeed is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: W.E. (Abel Korzeniowski)

Beautiful score....soothing for my massive hangover.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gladiator - Jerry Goldsmith

Scraping the Goldsmith barrel, this one. A bit like The Russia House... with drum machines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013 edited
    I was listening to the beautiful track, "Comptine d'Un Autre Été: L'après Midi", from Yann Tiersen's Amélie earlier and I was wondering if there were any interesting covers or re-interpretations of this track. I was really just wondering initially if there were any other piano version worth listening to to compliment the original.

And then I came across the following 3 versions (I don't tend to like different versions of originals in my music but each of these versions of "Comptine d'Un Autre Été: L'après Midi" are somehow compelling):

Old 7 Years version

Darkseed version

Japhlet Bire Attias version

Anyone have any comments about any of the versions?