• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2013
    Southall wrote
    I couldn't get too excited about that one to be honest.

Me too. Not sure what I'm missing?

Timmer wrote
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

Seriously awesome!

One of my top 20 scores. (There or there abouts... I'm not one for lists. Fuck lists. How the hell do you what is your 4th or 7th favourite score!? Do you use maths? Jesus.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you on that Steven, my top ( put number here ) list tend to be constantly revolving, I have a top 10 that's pretty constant but I couldn't set anything in concrete numerically.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Everything it seems like!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Zero Dark Thirty - Alexandre Desplat

I'm really enjoying this. The main theme is simple but eerily effective. That electric cello sounds like a theremin. It would go well with a horror film.

The movie was superb BTW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Forrest Gump - Alan Silvestri

I haven't listened to it for months (or more than a year?). I regret that! Now I remember how much I loved this score and how beautiful it is.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Everything it seems like!

-Erik-

I'll give it another go! I'm sure there's something worthy here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with you on that Steven, my top ( put number here ) list tend to be constantly revolving, I have a top 10 that's pretty constant but I couldn't set anything in concrete numerically.

Same. I can tell you what is near or around my top ten, or possibly even choose 10 definite favourites (at a push)... but I don't seem to be able to put them in any order, certainly not like some are able to do! I just wouldn't know what would make my 6th favourite as opposed to my 7th or 9th favourite? I think I just have many number one scores, which to me seems more enjoyable than a list. I don't think I could ever settle on one score or album because it depends so much on what mood I happen to be in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Calculate!
    CALCULATE!

dalek
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have run my algorithm and can confirm that that is my third favourite smilie at the site.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I had not seen that before, but that is epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Legends of the Fall

Were I to arrange my Horner top five strictly in alphabetical order then this would appear at number four.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013
    You cold calculating son of a bitch.

Olympus Has Fallen Trevor Morris

Noisy. Sort of enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sort of...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer

A fine late listen cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Where's that like button biggrin

BTW, the organ chord at the beginning is a tracked in Arvo Part piece (Annum per Annum). I wonder why they didn't properly credit it and it was something the director wanted and Hans wasn't exactly happy about it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. It's credited in the film, from memory. Hans actually discusses it on the Criterion DVD interview, and -- whether this is Hans being his usual affable interview self or not -- he seems pretty ok with it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Schindler's List Williams

Astounding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Henry Jackman

I'm very impressed with the work presented in the album. It's both serious and fun, with lots of good action passages that successfully straddle that magical hybrid sound. The score has a good balance of strong orchestral and electronica elements, weaving in various pop genres, from dubstep to hard rock, sometime all within a single track. Very entertaining score. It's a clear step up from Alan Silvestri's dated score for the first movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013 edited
    ^ IMO, it's awful! A painful score.

lp wrote
    It's a clear step up from Alan Silvestri's dated score for the first movie.

:spittake: WHAAAAAAAAT?! shocked Silvetri's score sucked, but it didn't suck as much as Jackman's score. Silvestri's was listenable, Jackman's isn't.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    It's credited in the film, from memory. Hans actually discusses it on the Criterion DVD interview, and -- whether this is Hans being his usual affable interview self or not -- he seems pretty ok with it.

What I still haven't found out is where does Prophecy for (in) the Village of Kremna appear, but I have a feeling that it is somewhere in the battle scenes.

I actually managed to find sheet music to the Christian race hymn, which I'll try to properly analyze.

Still, I wonder why that Part piece (while it's only a chord that starts the piece and the whole first movement, called Einleitung - The Introduction) isn't credited on the album while Christian Race is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLOUD ATLAS - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

There's quite a few droney tracks I don't much care for but on the whole I really enjoy this one and the last track, Cloud Atlas End Title is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ IMO, it's awful! A painful score.

lp wrote
    It's a clear step up from Alan Silvestri's dated score for the first movie.

:spittake: WHAAAAAAAAT?! shocked Silvetri's score sucked, but it didn't suck as much as Jackman's score. Silvestri's was listenable, Jackman's isn't.

-Erik-

We'll just agree to disagree. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2013 edited
    I will agree that Silvestri's synths are super dated but dubstep and whatever Jackman threw together is NOT the remedy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I will agree that Silvestri's synths are super dated!

-Erik-

Yeah, all of Silvestri's modern film scores suffer because of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  6. A few titles that I've listened to over the last few days that are worth investigating:

Ka-en Kita-no Yousei Den - Kenji Kawai
    Ostwind - Annette Focks
    Rubinrot - Philipp F. Kölmel
    Being Human - Series 3 - Richard Wells

All currently available in the digital medium!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer

cool
  7. cool

I haven't listened to it for too long and will get back to it soon. I wonder, what is the selling element (can I say so?) of this score to you? You're quite often critical of Hans' works and yet one of his most electronic scores written in recent times (and gladly finally an "openly" electronic score rather than using electronics to try to fake an orchestral sound; this is simply a soundscape created from scratch using synthesizers ranging from 1960s to the new ones - yes, Hans has used an old Moog to work on Inception!) I just find the respect this (really good, the best work of his since 2001!) score in the skeptic part of this community fascinating smile
  8. I appreciate this score because it is almost purely snth! It's a bit like Hans Zimmer meets "Blade Runner". I love his early work, when synths were synths (A World Apart, Rain Man) and orchestra was orchestra (Driving Miss Daisy). Only when he startet to imitate natural instruments with synths, when he would come up with unhuman ostinati, when he would fire all the woodwinds - then I lost my face in the man.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Captain, I have to disappoint you...

Driving Miss Daisy is ALL synthesized.