• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, Africa is available both as a CD and as a digital download:

http://silvascreenmusic.greedbag.com/buy/africa-99/

:buy: beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Interesting the route Sarah Class has taken. I remember when I discovered her name about, probably a decade ago. I was hunting down uncredited additional music composers on the TV series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and I found somebody had a promo of her music, and it said BtVS on it, so I had to get it.

Little did I know what the results would be. turned out she made instrumental song backing stuff, what I guess would be for some scenes that took place in clubs, like The Bronze, in the show. Terrible stuff.

In fact, all the music on the promo was bad, as I recall. Based on that promo, I'd never have hried her and I certainly wouldn't know -- based on the music selected to promote herself -- that she could do what she did on "Africa".

Always a plesant surprise.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Well, when I started giving him a chance in the mid 90's, I was continually disappointed in everything I heard -- SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW, THE BORROWERS, THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS and others. So I abandoned him. I've since "sampled" him once in a while to see if my opinion has changed or if he finally composes that one score that will win me over. Alas, nothing. There are some good elements in KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and ENEMY OF THE STATE, but that's about it. The good cues in his collaborative efforts have been by someone else, usually John Powell.

All that being said, I do think his 'life' theme in PROMETHEUS was by far the best part of the otherwise disappointing Streitenfeld score (but the film was fantastic and my favourite of that year).

AND...I still intend to check him out more -- both the stuff he has done and will do. But there are other composers I'm more likely to explore first, that I KNOW are closer to my musical heart.

PROMETHEUS, the score as written by Streitenfield, works great in an already very good film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote
    For Greater Glory - James Horner

Great! I can't stop listening to this.

punk

How fortuitous. Neither can I. The backlash against it makes me sad...

It is a score that I can connect emotionally with. Which is great because I haven't found too many scores like this lately.

I've found that Abel Korzeniowski's music is pretty sweeping. But you can just stick with Horner's material, since he's the most romantic composer working today. Try A Beautiful Mind.

A Beautiful Mind is gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    PROMETHEUS, the score as written by Streitenfield, works great in an already very good film.

Yes, it works fine, but it doesn't ADD that much either. I also wouldn't listen to it on CD. I'm happy to see another lover of the film, though. Too rare.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Krull James Horner

When life gives you lemons, you say fuck that, I'm listening to Krull
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Krull James Horner

BEST. MAINTITLES PHILOSOPHY. EVER.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, it works fine, but it doesn't ADD that much either. I also wouldn't listen to it on CD. I'm happy to see another lover of the film, though. Too rare.

Sheer up! Here's another one! wave

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thanks! Is there an album in particular you'd recommend?

Yes, though Peter would probably disagree with me: Illusions, a solo album by Thomas Bergersen (one of the two main composers of Two Steps, and IMO easily the better one). If you like that, I'd go for either Archangel or Invincible next, both of which are more of a typical Two Steps/trailer-music-style release.

Here's some samples for Illusions, though:

"Starvation"
    "A Place in Heaven"
    "Reborn"

And some others that are among Two Steps' very best cues:

"To Glory" - bear with the electric guitar at the beginning, this cue builds to unimaginable heights and is quite possibly the most "epic" cue I know (and I hate using that word tongue )
    "Clock Tower Parade" - insane orchestral and choral writing in this one, like John Debney on steroids
    "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

Let me know what you think! I love introducing Two Steps From Hell to people... punk

Indeed, I just made a list where I ranked the TSFH albums by how much I like them, and Illusions got the 11. place. I'm in a TSFH mood though, and I'll give it another chance tonight. I suspect I might have judged it unfairly.

The last three clips are pure awesomeness though.

Peter smile

I finally got around to listening to these ( and a few more ) and I have to say this really isn't my thing, I didn't find much to enjoy personally.

Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013 edited
    Not even Clock Tower Parade?!?!?!?!?! slant shocked Holy smokes! That piece is on speed! Massively entertaining and brilliant written! David Newman meets Alan Silvestri meets John Williams. Thomas Bergersen needs to get some film work! He's underused and and his talent is completely wasted writing trailer music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Big, powerful, fast....yeah it's all of those but there's something missing for me, I can't yet put my finger on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Space Fights: The Phantom Menace John Williams

I enjoy this one as much as much the Star Wars scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Space Fights: The Phantom Menace John Williams

I enjoy this one as much as much the Star Wars scores.

It's superb, now if only the film matched the music....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can almost forgive those films being made given the music we got. Attack of the Clones is clearly the weakest score (probable because it's the weakest film... ever), but even that is a squidgillion times better than the film it accompanies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under Fire - J Goldsmith

Masterpiece
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek The Game - Chad Seiter

Outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    yeah (to both above posts)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Krull James Horner

You should be a life coach Steven!

My 10 year old niece loves the music of Krull since watching the film.
    She keeps playing Ride of the Firemares on CD and whistles parts of it quite accurately when playing outside!
    KRULL LIVES ON!!! punk
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Not even Clock Tower Parade?!?!?!?!?! slant shocked Holy smokes! That piece is on speed! Massively entertaining and brilliant written! David Newman meets Alan Silvestri meets John Williams. Thomas Bergersen needs to get some film work! He's underused and and his talent is completely wasted writing trailer music!

-Erik-

Bergersen has said in interviews that he prefers writing trailer music because it essentially allows him to write unrestricted, whereas in a film he would have to match the visuals etc., so I think he's perfectly happy where he is. Also he acknowledges that his style is very "heavy" and forthright in a way and I can easily see most directors/producers today telling him to tone it down, something I think would just bum him out. Personally I think he should team up with Joseph Kosinski. His style is modern enough and he'd get the breathing room he needs. It would be an absolute feast of a score. shocked cool

And yes: "Clock Tower Parade" = punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
  4. Timmer wrote
    I finally got around to listening to these ( and a few more ) and I have to say this really isn't my thing, I didn't find much to enjoy personally.

Sorry.

Welp, you win some, you lose some. Thanks for giving it a shot in any case. You're missing out, dude. wink
  5. If I understood well, Bergersen has opened a personal studio up in Remote Control some time ago. While he's not really seriously doing additional work, he's part of the infrastructure. It all did start with Modern Warfare 2.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sorry.

Welp, you win some, you lose some. Thanks for giving it a shot in any case. You're missing out, dude. wink

Not if he doesn't enjoy it! wink Two Steps From Hell has some fun stuff, but listening to a whole album is a bit of a trudge.
  6. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sorry.

Not if he doesn't enjoy it! wink Two Steps From Hell has some fun stuff, but listening to a whole album is a bit of a trudge.

Best served in individual cues, definitely, I agree. smile
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    If I understood well, Bergersen has opened a personal studio up in Remote Control some time ago. While he's not really seriously doing additional work, he's part of the infrastructure. It all did start with Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah, I heard they (Bergersen and Phoenix) were also drafted into the army of minions that vomited forth On Stranger Tides...although I doubt they did any substantial composing.
  8. Both processes were quite desperate, so don't be shocked.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Bergersen has said in interviews that he prefers writing trailer music because it essentially allows him to write unrestricted, whereas in a film he would have to match the visuals etc., so I think he's perfectly happy where he is. Also he acknowledges that his style is very "heavy" and forthright in a way and I can easily see most directors/producers today telling him to tone it down, something I think would just bum him out. Personally I think he should team up with Joseph Kosinski. His style is modern enough and he'd get the breathing room he needs. It would be an absolute feast of a score. shocked cool

Steven, Tim, James, what do you think of two steps from hell's genius music?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. NP: Superman: The Movie - John Williams, 1978 (FSM)

Now, the Superman-Box is an astounding product and hours of exploration will be dedicated to it.

This is the 3rd instalment of this recording on CD that I have bought and that breaks it even with Star Wars. If I also count the Varese re-recording, it's my fourth version.

I have to say, I am a bit spoiled by the sonic brilliance of the Varese re-recording. Compared to that the original recording feels muted. Still the difference to the Rhino release is noticible if not strikingly so. The Rhino version remains a very good representation of the score.

Yet the Superman-Box is a supreme item in every respect. As it's rapidly going out of print, I recommend:

Buy it now!

... if you don't own it already.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Steven, Tim, James, what do you think of two steps from hell's genius music?

I said:-

I still can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't like, it's obviously very well done but it takes more than just BIG, LOUD & FAST to hook me, maybe it's just that it is just big, loud and fast just for the sake of being big, loud and fast?
  10. Timmer wrote
    I still can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't like, it's obviously very well done but it takes more than just BIG, LOUD & FAST to hook me, maybe it's just that it is just big, loud and fast just for the sake of being big, loud and fast?

That's the thing. Yes, it's essentially got no further purpose than being big loud and fast...but it's the best big, loud and fast music being written today (and there's a lot). It leans on Zimmer a lot, sure, but it's infinitely more enjoyable than anything he's done recently. And that's enough for me. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed, I just made a list where I ranked the TSFH albums by how much I like them, and Illusions got the 11. place. I'm in a TSFH mood though, and I'll give it another chance tonight. I suspect I might have judged it unfairly.

11th? Are you sure you didn't type one too many 1s there? wink I would be curious to see what it beat out, though. Oh, go on, just post the entire list. biggrin

Better late than never as they say, so here's the list I made some days ago:

1+2.Legend & The Devil Wears Nada
    3.Nero
    4.SkyWorld
    5.Nemesis
    6+7.Dynasty & Dreams & Imaginations
    8.Illumina
    9.Power of Darkness
    10.Two Steps from Heaven
    11.Illusions
    12.Volume 1
    13.Ashes
    14.Solaris
    15.Shadows and Nightmares
    16.All Drums go to Hell, Pathogen, All Drones Go to Hell, Balls to the Wall, Sinners, Burn

I've left out compilation albums like Invincible n such.

Anyway, since I made that list I listened more to Illusions, and decided to upgrade the tracks Dreammaker, Ocean princess, A place in heaven, Merchant prince and Femme fatale from 3 stars to 3½ stars. With these higher ratings, the album would probably end up on the 6th place after Nemesis. So thank you for insisting on how good it is, so I could give it another chance. It will never reach no.1 for me though. It's a decent album, but none of the tracks really floor me (except for the version of Sonera without that annoying vocalist, and this isn't even on the official release).

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Illusions...yeah, I remember not being quite hooked by it either when I first listened to it. But after four or five spins I was there. I think it's just the fact that every single cue is a highlight in its own way; there's not a single one I would want to skip, ever, and it's pretty much the only album I'd say that about. Maybe it's just because of how much more I love Bergersen, and there's none of those pesky Nick Phoenix tracks to skip over. Not that they're bad or anything, usually...it's just that when I'm in a Two Steps mood (which is pretty much always, admittedly...), I'm usually in a Bergersen mood. wink

Hehe, when I'm in a TSFH mood I'm both in a Bergersen and Phoenix mood. Sure, Bergersen often provide the better tracks, but in my mind Phoenix has provided so many excellent tracks that I wouldn't have it without him. I think you'll miss out on a lot of good music if you skip his tracks. Anyway, since I'm in a list making mood, here's a list of Phoenix tracks I quite enjoy:

Everlasting, A small step for mankind, Blink of an eye, Missing letters, Prelude to a nightmare, Master of shadows, Am I not human, Fire nation, Super strength, False king (co-credit), Fill my heart, Velocitron, 1000 ships of the underworld, Breath of Ran Gor, Infinite legends, After the fall, Election daze, Little Ben, Asap, Down with the enterprise, Legions of faith, Shadows of beauty, White witch, The soul that must awaken, Eternal honor, The ancients, The cross of antiquan, Big sky, Front line. Black flowers, Day becomes night, Fragments of deception, Frozen paths, Dynasty, Bleeding, House of fire, Racketeers & Ocean.

Peter smile