• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote replace it with "Brass Buttons,"

Captain Future wrote the "brassy" version of "Roast Mutton".

These 2 things are not the same at all!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. shame
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik's edit of The Hobbit is a very solid condensed version of the score, with one exception: take out that unnecessary song and replace it with "Brass Buttons," which is f*cking awesome. punk

If you mean take out Neil Finn's song then ABSOLUTELY FOOKING NOT!

I sincerely hope, Edmund, that you're not one of those people that call instrumental music "songs" wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013
    I like the Neil Finn song too.
  2. It's that song that I had in mind, too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WOULD you like to hear something wonderfully soaring and uplifting with some of the warmest orchestral colouring you'll hear in a film score?

love THEN TRY THIS love

They really don't write them like this anymore.

I wanted to play this but can't find my CD and the score is not on Spotify slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik's edit of The Hobbit is a very solid condensed version of the score, with one exception: take out that unnecessary song and replace it with "Brass Buttons," which is f*cking awesome. punk

If you mean take out Neil Finn's song then ABSOLUTELY FOOKING NOT!

That's exactly what I mean. It isn't a bad song (and it's based on a strong melody) but with the exception of "Gollum's Song" I've never particularly had any interest in the end credit songs from those movies. They're fine, just...not what I'm into. Certainly not if it's included over the awesome choral chanting and brass-clustery that is "Brass Buttons!"

Timmer wrote
    I sincerely hope, Edmund, that you're not one of those people that call instrumental music "songs" wink

Oh good God, I should think not!! vomit
    biggrin
  4. "May it Be" by Enya is awesome!
    "Gollum's Song" is great if not very pleasant to listen to. It's not supposed to be.
    "Into the West" is pure magical awesomenes.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    "May it Be" by Enya is awesome!
    "Gollum's Song" is great if not very pleasant to listen to. It's not supposed to be.

Volker

There's quite a bit of "Barryesque" sound to Shore's Middle Earth scores, Gollum's Song is a good example of that. It's a great song.
  5. My friend, you seem to observe "Barryesque-ines" in every third score or so. cheesy

The only score by Barry I know (not being an expert like you of course) that even faintly resembles TLotR is "The Lion in Winter".

But beauty is in the ear of the listener.

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

There's quite a bit of "Barryesque" sound to Shore's Middle Earth scores, Gollum's Song is a good example of that. It's a great song.

I don't know Barry all that well, but Dances with Wolves was my very first score, and I hear a lot of that score in LOTR. Even the themes are rather Barry-ish. The Shire theme in particular feels closer to something Barry would write than Williams, Horner, Silvestri, etc, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky.

I really hate this score. Its unbelievably disappointing how one of my favorite composers can write music for a film of one of my favorite books and the result turn out to be such utter crap. I'm SO sick of the stupid cello ostinato playing over and over again in every other track without seemingly the slightest attempt to make it sound different from one instance to another. crazy
  6. I must admit that I have never thought of John Barry whilst listening to any of The Lord of the Rings scores.

"Dances With Wargs" - an interesting concept.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - Power Glove

More music like this please. 80s fun combined with the delicious sound of modern synths and wonderful thematic taste! Its kind of like Black Rain, only way better.
  7. (Answering Scribe)

No, I honestly don't think so. I perceive Shore's style as being remarkably unique. Apart from obvious classical influences I always thought that Kilar's "Dracular" was "the road to" LotR. Maybe Goldsmith's "Omen III" should be mentioned, but not very much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky.

I really hate this score. Its unbelievably disappointing how one of my favorite composers can write music for a film of one of my favorite books and the result turn out to be such utter crap. I'm SO sick of the stupid cello ostinato playing over and over again in every other track without seemingly the slightest attempt to make it sound different from one instance to another. crazy

Even I as a fan of that particular sound is getting tired of it now, and this was another example of that. I thought the film was rather bad, though, so it makes no difference. But I was disappointed in Jablonsky, who delivered what I consider one of the finest scores of 2013 with PAIN & GAIN.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

I don't know Barry all that well, but Dances with Wolves was my very first score, and I hear a lot of that score in LOTR. Even the themes are rather Barry-ish. The Shire theme in particular feels closer to something Barry would write than Williams, Horner, Silvestri, etc, right?

Yup!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

I love them all!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. NP:
    For All Mankind (1983)
    "Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" - Brian Eno

Volker
  9. NP: La Traversée - André Dziezuk

"La Disparation" and "La Révélation" are two beautiful pieces of music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/traversé … ds=Dziezuk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:
    For All Mankind (1983)

Volker

This is a fantastic album, 'Ascent' is one of the most moving, if not the most moving synth piece ever written with an incredible depth of feeling, that one goes straight to my soul.

p.s. I wouldn't have a problem if you left this on the other thread wink
  10. Yeah, wrong thread, right (totally wonderful) album, though I must admit that the countryesque guitars do take me off-guard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:
    For All Mankind (1983)

Volker

This is a fantastic album, 'Ascent' is one of the most moving, if not the most moving synth piece ever written with an incredible depth of feeling, that one goes straight to my soul.

For me it is topped by the "Phrophecy Theme" from DUNE. Maybe "Ascent" was on the temp track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's not in the same class for me but the Prophecy theme is excellent as too is Toto's score, my favourite of all the DUNE scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's just scary how much of an overlap there is in my and Volker's musical taste.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Commandos Strike Force - Mateo Pascual

I love this one ! A rousing & heroic game score !
    The music is performed by the Bratislava Symphony and City Choir of Bratislava , which gives the score a more cinematic feel . No electronics here ... wink

is this an old game? I remember the first Commandos, but I assume this is a sequel?

It's the fourth installment in the Commando series Thomas . The game is from 2006 and now introduced the first person perspective in the series . The previous games used the overhead view .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  12. Thor:

wave punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I love them all!

-Erik-

So do I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

Brilliant. If you disagree, go boil your head.