• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014
    I found M:I:II largely cliched but as a listening experience on disc, i enjoyed it more than Elfman's shame however Giacchino's third score surpasses all the two previous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Steven wrote
    It doesn't get any faster than this. Well for Cruise's career, Days of Thunder came just at the right time. He was the hottest young actor in town and for director Tony Scott the right man to lead a NASCAR race into movie making history. Days of Thunder turned out to be another successful motion picture experience, having the right amount of action, romance, testosterone and humor to perfectly fill your evening. And the same could be said about the music of Hans Zimmer.

Um... did you see the film? uhm

oh, I saw the film ten times now. punk And just now this weekend again. It's a fun movie (7 out of 10) and a typical product carrying the 80's charm
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Lars wrote
    i also like the movie Days Of Thuner and the main reason is zimmers score. his music fits all the things, thomas said about the movie, perfectly. when the simpson/bruckheimer logo comes up and then the first picture of the movie with the sunrise over the racing track together with zimmers main theme, i knew immediately, this will be a great evening with a great movie.

i also agree with the Mission: Impossible 2 review. maybe it's not the "typical" Mission: Impossible score, but it's a unique score for a Mission: Impossible movie. and most important it's the perfect score for THIS Mission: Impossible. the music fits perfectly to woos visual style, his direction of action scenes and also to the romantic parts. maybe a lil bit over the top, but very concise and sustainable. when you read the tracklist you already know the scene and how the music sounds in this. also without reading the tracklist you know exactly which scene it is. zimmers music has simply a big impact in every scene. i can't tell that about the other Mission: Impossible scores, although they are maybe on a better technical level (i'm pretty sure they are).

Lars, what you say about the opening of Days of Thunder is true, the charm and power of this opening cue is perfect for the scene and it litterally makes the scene 10 times better

about Mission: Impossible 2: yes, the other MI scores are better on a technical scale, but they also feel largely the same. Here you truly have a unique style when it comes down to several specific scenes. Again, something Zimmer can do like the best
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I'd certainly like to hear your review of the film Steven. biggrin

The only thing worse than films about motorsport are films about football. (After that is the holocaust and paper cuts.)
  3. Rush disagrees with you, Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Who's Rush?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. Steven wrote
    Who's Rush?

You're sarcastic more often than not, so I'm probably being stupid here...but the movie Rush most certainly refutes your argument that there are no good movies about motorsport.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So not the Canadian rock band formed in 1968 then?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

The only thing worse than films about motorsport are films about football. (After that is the holocaust and paper cuts.)

Ahhhh! I can only presume you've never seen SILVER DREAM RACER starring David Essex or the equally sublime NUMBER ONE starring Bob Geldof as a top snooker player.

Knowing the great taste in films others have displayed here I would be appalled if they hadn't seen these two gems.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Who's Rush?

You're sarcastic more often than not, so I'm probably being stupid here...but the movie Rush most certainly refutes your argument that there are no good movies about motorsport.

Rush is a nice movie, but certainly overrated, imo; can't see what's so special about it, score and film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked the score to RUSH. I haven't seen the film yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the score too. Literally zero interest in seeing the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

It's one of the most accessible film about F1, ever! My wife likes it, and she usually roll her eyes with most sport movies. Think of it as a good drama with some good racing footage mixed in. I don't think the score was all that great, outside of a few exceptional cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

How about ESCAPE TO VICTORY, the best film directed by John Huston that stars Bobby Moore.
  5. lp wrote
    Steven wrote

It's one of the most accessible film about F1, ever! My wife likes it, and she usually roll her eyes with most sport movies. Think of it as a good drama with some good racing footage mixed in. I don't think the score was all that great, outside of a few exceptional cues.

yeah

Honestly I thought the racing scenes were the least interesting thing about the film. Chris Hemsworth and particularly Daniel Bruehl turn in a couple of really solid performances. It's nothing earthshattering but I found it a surprisingly entertaining and engaging movie.

Score's okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Score's okayish in film, works better on disc.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    what i like about sports movies is, that these movies give composers the opportunity to create heroic anthems, exciting action material and emotional music for the softer parts. just music that moves the audience. i love trevor rabins scores to Remember The Titans, Coach Carter and Glory Road. they have all fantastic themes and the action makes the games exciting. i also love mark ishams music for Varsity Blues or the music by Explosions In The Sky for Friday Night Lights, where the music reflects not the game itself but the impact of the game to the life of the players and the people in the city. the atmosphere, which the music creates is so intense. it's fantastic. thats what i love about sports movies and that these movies are most of the time feel good movies, where you leave the theatre with a smile.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Score's okayish in film, works better on disc.

There are a couple of cues that wowed me in the film, the accident scene and the final race in particular.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … audio.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014

I've never thought of that style as being in the Passacaglia form, but it is quite interestingly so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Will Zorro get a Batman Begins treatment too? smile http://screenrant.com/zorro-gritty-reboot-dark-knight/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014 edited
    Mein fucking Got! It'll probably get the crappy Batman Begins style score that it'll righteously deserve too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Urgh. Zorro is not dark and gritty. It's a swashbuckler, with romance, humour and drama! Although the 1998 film is far from perfect, it did get the tone right, and in no small part due to Horner's magnificent score.
  7. Who the actual fuck thinks Zorro, of all things needs to be "dark and gritty"?? face-palm-mt

He'll be the Zorro they need, but not the one they deserve right now or however the hell that quote goes...Say what you will about the Lone Ranger movie, at least they didn't go down the tired, tired, tired path of making everything dark and serious. Can that please go away now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that's very strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Who the actual fuck thinks Zorro, of all things needs to be "dark and gritty"??

The same like-minded folks who thought that sucking any last semblance of fun out of Superman in Man of Steel?

All this "dark" shit has got very old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You'd think they would notice that the biggest two box office successes of the past half decade (Avatar and Avengers) were in fact very not dark...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. ^ Same goes for last year's biggest movie, Iron Man 3...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're all right of course.

Also the most ridiculous thing is that they said that in Batman vs Superman, Batman will be a very tired and let-down character. Imagine like that wasn't bad enough, Ben fucking shit-faced Affleck will play that character!